Sullivan's Audio Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Speakers are finished, omg I can't believe the sound quality

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
glad to hear all your long hours paid off

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im getting a ground issue/alt whine when my sub amp is plugged in. I need to ground the RCA's at the headunit to see if the issue goes away.

Also needed is an extra battery as the system uses a lot of juice.

It sounds really good

IMG_1057.jpg

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
upgrade your alternator and better batteryfirst a second battery will just cause extra strain on your stock alternator might make problem worse, when vehicle is running your alt runs everything, headlights dim because alt isnt producing enough amps, did you do the big three and run bigger charge wire from alt to the battery?

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
upgrade your alternator and better batteryfirst a second battery will just cause extra strain on your stock alternator might make problem worse, when vehicle is running your alt runs everything, headlights dim because alt isnt producing enough amps, did you do the big three and run bigger charge wire from alt to the battery?

Would a capacitor work?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
A capacitor will stop the headlight issue you might even need 2 and the alt whin could be if you have your power wire anywhere near the rca cables rule of thumb always run ground and power on one side speaker and rca on the other.

Never heard of grounding the rca's

Last edited:

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Would a capacitor work?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

capacitors do work despite what alot of people think but only if your problem is small if you are draining to much power and on long base notes the capacitor will drain down and your amp can actualy cut out, if he has the 136 amp alt its not big enough, what is the truck actualy doing? how much is the voltmeter moving at full tilt with low long bass notes?

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
capacitors do work despite what alot of people think but only if your problem is small if you are draining to much power and on long base notes the capacitor will drain down and your amp can actualy cut out, if he has the 136 amp alt its not big enough, what is the truck actualy doing? how much is the voltmeter moving at full tilt with low long bass notes?

Yes forgot to mention that i had to put a bigger alt on my other car when i ran a capacitor

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Don't bigger alternators not work in these trucks due to the computer holding it back either way?

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Don't bigger alternators not work in these trucks due to the computer holding it back either way?

---

Damn dodge lol did mine on a mustang but think the noise like the whining is because all the wires are close

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My power wire and signal wires are ran on separate sides,

Its only when I plug the RCA's from the headunit into the sub amp, then I get a werid sound from the door speakers as well.

For now, I have a few things to do:

1: Redo headunit ground, because the stock headunit grounds suck.
2: Redo amplifier ground, current location my suck.
3: At the rear where my power and rca's meet, Ill seperate.

If none of these work, ive read pioneer headunits have a fuse and when they go out they will give you a ground issue like what I have. The fix is to ground the RCA's to the headunit chassis.

Something else, I have 100amp midi fuse at the battery and at the rear I have a distribution block going to both subs, with 100amp midi fuse for each. Is that drawing to much power?

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
My power wire and signal wires are ran on separate sides,

Its only when I plug the RCA's from the headunit into the sub amp, then I get a werid sound from the door speakers as well.

For now, I have a few things to do:

1: Redo headunit ground, because the stock headunit grounds suck.
2: Redo amplifier ground, current location my suck.
3: At the rear where my power and rca's meet, Ill seperate.

If none of these work, ive read pioneer headunits have a fuse and when they go out they will give you a ground issue like what I have. The fix is to ground the RCA's to the headunit chassis.

Something else, I have 100amp midi fuse at the battery and at the rear I have a distribution block going to both subs, with 100amp midi fuse for each. Is that drawing to much power?

Ahh got ya you be surprised how many folks just run everything down one side lol. Got any cuts in any of the rca's by any chance , good luck i know finding a problem like that can be a royal pain in the ass

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
I myself usually just use the fuse at the battery so not sure if more will drain the system.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One thing that crossed my mind is maybe I did pinch that RCA when I put the front seats down, but I made sure everything was routed right and it wouldn't happen.

Ill report back later, whatever is messed up is a small issue. Dodge really needs to step up their developement in some areas. I had the UPGRADED system...the Infinity System with the extra AMP and it sucked. Sold my Rams stock infinitys for $50 on craigslist...

Last edited:

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

---

dodge computer regulates the voltage but not the amp out puts

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my grounds are in same place as yours seems to work for me, did you make sure paint was ground down to bare metal

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does anyone make a h/o alternator for our trucks?

a few places make them but they are expensive as high as 600 id have to do some surches get the companies names but you need to check the idle amp out put not max some will have high rated output but are worse than stock at idle, in sullivans case he could probably get away with just getting the oem 160 amp alt