Swapping in Skyjacker 5in soft ride leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back in June I replaced my tapered three-inch lift block that came with my Rough Country 5-inch lift for a one-inch block and a two inch add-a-leaf due to axel wrap and the fact that I hate lift blocks. This was a great upgrade, but it still was not as solid as I wanted plus my truck is still a little nose high from the additional two-inch keys in the torsion bars. I ordered two new Skyjacker 5 inch Softride springs two weeks ago and finally got around to putting them in yesterday. Got everything laid out, the truck raised up and removed and the older springs removed. Things were flowing perfectly, to perfect. My main concern was running out of lift height on my floor jack. When you have a lift already on and you are running 37-inch tires sometimes lifting the truck becomes an issue especially in your garage. My solution, let the air out of the rear tires. I gained an extra 7 inches of floor jack lift by doing this. Anyway, I got to the drivers side and was picking up my new spring pack when I noticed that the brackets that clamp the springs together were in different locations than the other side. Further inspection revealed several discrepancies and then i realized that they had shipped me two different springs. The one for my Ram that is correct is DR250S. The other spring pack (after calling Skyjacker and giving them the part number) was for a Chevy Silverado. So now my truck is sitting up on jacks with one set of leaf springs while I wait on the correct set to arrive and Fed Ex to pick up the wrong ones. I bought the set from American Trucks, and they did make it right on their end. The guys at Skyjacker were also very helpful. I was not going to do a write up and pics on this but now I am. I will take some this evening and upload them in the morning.

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got home yesterday evening and there sat my spring. It actually got there in less than 24 hours. I was able to get it in place and bolt up the front and rear hanger. I will finish up this evening.

IMG_6789.jpg
IMG_6790.jpg
This is the Chevy spring that I have to return

IMG_6791.jpg

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
finally finished up last night. I went from stock to, stock springs and a 3-inch block, then to a 1-inch block and a 2 inch add a leaf (better but rode like crap) and now finally my Skyjacker 5 inch Soft Ride springs. what a difference. That nose high look (NOT SQUATED) vanished and the truck leveled off. I swear the 37's look to small now. First pic is the add a leaf and small block and the other two are the new springs.

1665761988162.png

to this

IMG_6799.jpg

IMG_6798.jpg

yarddogg77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I just posted hoping to solve my issue. I have a 1994 1500, and I also hate blocks. I don't care about lifting it and would like to keep the height close to stock. I'm looking for junk yard springs, or possibly an a add a leaf to get rid of the blocks. You mentioned you had a rough country 5" lift kit. Was that just an extra 3" lift block added to your factory block? Did that kit come with an add a leaf as well? I was thinking of getting a leaf pack from the wrecking yard to add an extra long spring, then maybe getting an add a leaf and rebulding my spring packs so they have more arch. What do you recommend? I just want to get rid of that stupid block.

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't have a factory block in the rear. These trucks come from the factory with a very noticeable front lowered rake. The current lift systems attempt to level the truck out with the five inches up front and the three in the rear. I went through everything you just mentioned. Other than buying new springs is to get a one inch block and a two and 1/2 add a leaf. Make sure to get the full length add a leaf not the short stubby one.
1669811910964.png