Swapping tow mirrors for Power Folding mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I finally got tired of weaving around drive-up windows and parking spaces, and placed an order today with infotainment.com for the Power Folding mirrors. I sure wish I had known about giving up the 360-view and power folds when I bought a truck with the tow package... lessons learned. The dealer was offering a HUGE discount on this vehicle, and even with the cost of the mirror replacement, it comes out thousands cheaper to purchase the discounted vehicle and swap our mirrors.... but I still won't have the 360-view.

Anyway... has anyone else ordered and received their mirrors? Just curious to see how the de-install goes. From their older videos, the trialgular plastic piece on the door just pops off, but in looking at my truck, that piece also has the perimeter of the window molded to it. It probably pops off just the same, but I wanted to be sure before I start prying on it.

I'll let everyone know how the swap out goes.

OP
OP
R

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, that's the one.... I ordered them about a week ago, still waiting on shipment. Apparently there are some "issues" with the shipping department in Detriot… The shipping department might be FCA, it wasn't clear.

OP
OP
R

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
still waiting.... now they say they might ship on Jan 20. I guess that also means they may not.

OP
OP
R

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, I got the mirrors and other hardware in several weeks ago, and finally took the time before the Superbowl today to install them. Things are very straightforward, but there are a few tips you may want to know if you're changing out the manual fold mirrors for the power folds.....

1. You don't have to completely remove the door panel, or the panel around the window frame. Just let the door panel hang on the door latch cable... you'll need to disconnect a few connectors from the door. On the plastic panel that surrounds the window, you just need to remove the front portion, giving yourself enough room to remove the mirror bolts and fish the cables through the hole in the door.

2. The Security Gateway module... its located up under the dash, near the parking brake cable, with the connectors pushing up towards the top of the dash. Its almost impossible to see what you're doing in there, but much easier if you remove a dash panel (simple pop out) and the panel holding the emergency brake switch (2 screws). Just pull the 2 connectors out of the module, and plug those connectors into the security bypass module from Z automotive. You'll see an orange pull cord when you pop off the first cover... I assume that's a manual parking brake release, but I don't have a clue.

It takes a pretty good tug to get the door panels removed. Don't be shy, just start at the bottom of the door and pull hard... it comes off pretty easy once you get it started.

That's about it... the process is very simple, with the exception of getting to those bypass module connectors. PM me if you have any questions!

OP
OP
R

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another quick note for anyone considering swapping out tow mirrors for power fold mirrors... The power fold mirrors are only about an inch narrower on each side than the tow mirrors. Obviously, when folded that's a different story, but I was very surprised to measure and see that the power fold mirrors were very close when extended to the tow mirrors.

OP
OP
R

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update... I noticed after the install and software update that I have a few problems.

The first time I actually drove the truck after the updates, I got a check engine light. Also, the outside temp gauge says 185 degrees. If I disconnect the narrative battery cable, the check engine light will go away, but it will soon come back on. I've tried a few things that the folks at infotainment.com have recommended, but no permanent fix yet. stay tuned.

Racing Woody

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Update... I noticed after the install and software update that I have a few problems.

The first time I actually drove the truck after the updates, I got a check engine light. Also, the outside temp gauge says 185 degrees. If I disconnect the narrative battery cable, the check engine light will go away, but it will soon come back on. I've tried a few things that the folks at infotainment.com have recommended, but no permanent fix yet. stay tuned.

Any updates. I need to switch out tow mirrors for stubbies ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes. it turned out that one of the connectors from the mirror to the controller box wasn't fully plugged in. replugging it and doing a can bus reset seemed to resolve the problem.... but yesterday the check engine light came on again. It could be completely unrelated, I'll have to go to the dealer and find out.

Samcooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got mine installed a week ago. Shop said install went smooth and everything works, power fold, blind spot, auto dimming and heat. Very happy with them.

Racing Woody

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yes. it turned out that one of the connectors from the mirror to the controller box wasn't fully plugged in. replugging it and doing a can bus reset seemed to resolve the problem.... but yesterday the check engine light came on again. It could be completely unrelated, I'll have to go to the dealer and find out.

Any updates on check engine light?

Racing Woody

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got mine installed a week ago. Shop said install went smooth and everything works, power fold, blind spot, auto dimming and heat. Very happy with them.

Any check engine lights?

OP
OP
R

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no real update yet, I've been traveling a lot, so the truck sits at the airport more than it's at home. I did reset the can bus again this weekend, and the light went away. it was still off when I went to the airport on Tuesday. I would think that if the mirror hardware were causing a problem, it would cause an error code quickly. If the light comes on again, I'll take it to the dealer for a reading.

OP
OP
R

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK... its been a week or so, and no check engine lights! I'll call this one fixed. If the light comes on again, it's probably some other sensor on the fritz, so I'll take it to the dealer for their opinion.

The mirrors are working great, and the one time I've needed power folds, that button came in very handy. Good job, Infotainment!

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another quick note for anyone considering swapping out tow mirrors for power fold mirrors... The power fold mirrors are only about an inch narrower on each side than the tow mirrors. Obviously, when folded that's a different story, but I was very surprised to measure and see that the power fold mirrors were very close when extended to the tow mirrors.

This is what I come back to each time. Power folding mirrors would be cool but $1500 is a lot of money for mirrors that are almost the same size extended.