Sway Bars rusted off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ravi Dass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey All, I was informed (by Dodge) that my sway bar links have rusted off therefore they are not covered by MOPAR lifetime warranty. Any recommendations for sway bars for a 2013 RAM 1500 Sport. Has about 245k miles so Im thinking I just replace the front and rear. Anything else that should be replaced (given the miles) while they underneath the truck? I'll be buying the parts myself and taking it else where. Any advice is appreciated. Thx!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So most shops wont give you any warranty at all if you bring them parts. I might be inclined to shop various shops and get pricing, this shouldn't be very expensive anyhow, 2-3 hundred at most labor plus parts. I'd look at national chains if it were me, les shuab pep boys or big 0, something like that. No way for us to know your truck, I suggest getting under and seeing the suspension. Look up dyi fluid film thread, the stuff really works and this would have been avoided had you sprayed it once a year before winter.

You were "informed" by dodge, well I'd get down there and look hard to see if there are other issues. If these rusted who knows what else did? I know I can't diagnose your rust from across country, good luck with it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you are gonna buy the parts anyhow, look up hellwigs. OEM ones are junk, so even if you go to a shop price out some upgraded sway bars. 2-3 hundred would be per side, not for front and rear. Hellwigs will raise price, but you will notice the ride quality.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OP
OP
Ravi Dass

Ravi Dass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hellwig said they dont make the 4WD front end sway, only 2WD for front and it wont fit my truclk. They make the rears though.... What other aftermarket brands would work for the front?

Also saw in other post Someone posted an article written by Helwig about the front sway bar on the RAM 4X4's and they said that the reason they don't offer one is that the OEM is sufficient. that was from 2016 though... but still cant find another brand other than Mopar

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hellwig for the rear, new bushings and end links for the OEM front. Moog makes greasable end links for front & rear.
Measure the front sway bar OD to get the right bushings. There's two or three different diameters depending on year/engine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah I'm not real sure why they call those sway bars in the front, they seam to be more of a stabilizer. Most sway bars connect the left and right sides of the suspension, but I guess it serves similar purposes other then that as far as anti roll, so they call it a sway bar. Due to our front suspension, no need to have them connected to the left and right side as they are independent.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a bone stock truck you can walk into your local autoparts store and give them your model year truck and they'll give options. Cheaper front set is like $40 or so for the pair. Rears are cheaper. if you don't mind waiting couple of days for shipping, Rockauto have front sets from $12

OP
OP
Ravi Dass

Ravi Dass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Rusted off? WTF? How you could let something like that to go to the point it "rusts" off is amazing to me.. I inspect every oil change.. I know, some folks will chime in that the rust is awful where they live blah blah.. Well rust does not happen overnight, wait a minute, they do say that on a quiet night in TX you can hear a Chevrolet rust,,yup its true, I am from TX..

What do I know about Rust? lived in the North because of work (I would not live there otherwise) worked in alot of countries too) there is alot of measures you can take to prevent rust. Your vehicle is a substantial investment protect it!

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I installed Hellwig Sway Bars on my 2017... they're awesome. We have winding roads and I often have no issue keeping up with imports with my 1500 crew cab. (when I had the 20" wheels). I also have Hellwig on other vehicles, and love them.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should have been covered. Your dealer is an a$$hole. It’s a manufacturing defect to put unprotected metal into a salt environment....