Votes: 404 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 162 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,003 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 665 23.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry RP, I didn’t believe your story. Though it may be true ....i have trust issues. Thanks Mike and Cory for putting me up to this. I got a little better deal than i have been getting with Amazon “subscribe and save”. Now im set.

Find the one that is different...[emoji23]

FYI: all 20 are dated 07/19/18. Cheese grater tube.

fc09980d3a6dc1b6c9cbfa0d3107ae87.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I have my third case to be delivered this week. IMO the best filter out there, even priced near twenty bucks in some cases. Cut two open after long intervals, just smooth media no stiffness what so ever. Especially guys who go short miles in a year, these are huge imo. I have about 18 years worth, lol. They aren't the most efficient, I've seen the beta testing, but they are the longest lasting media that will hold the most contamination imo. Best of all FLOW.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where are you guys ordering cases from?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Where are you guys ordering cases from?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well apparently you can get them at retail from the same distributor I get them from... Did not know they were also Royal Purple Direct... No wonder they're the largest distributor of the Purple stuff. I pay wholesale on them through the dealer/shop side which is quite a bit cheaper. I still need to call and find out if they have any more cases in stock.

http://royalpurpledirect.com/product/royal-purple-filter-20-820/

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well apparently you can get them at retail from the same distributor I get them from... Did not know they were also Royal Purple Direct... No wonder they're the largest distributor of the Purple stuff. I pay wholesale on them through the dealer/shop side which is quite a bit cheaper. I still need to call and find out if they have any more cases in stock.

http://royalpurpledirect.com/product/royal-purple-filter-20-820/

Got off my ass and called em. Yea they have like all of the filter inventory right now aside from whatever was around in warehouses from before Purple liquidating their own stock. Got myself another case coming in and I should be good for a while. Now if only they would get off their ass on getting their Red Line distribution going.

Edit : They also told me all future stock will be coming from Champ and they're already a champ distributor so there shouldn't be any interruption in the supply once they run out of the backlog of inventory. Apparently it was like 6 figures worth of RP filters they scooped up.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have my third case to be delivered this week. IMO the best filter out there, even priced near twenty bucks in some cases. Cut two open after long intervals, just smooth media no stiffness what so ever. Especially guys who go short miles in a year, these are huge imo. I have about 18 years worth, lol. They aren't the most efficient, I've seen the beta testing, but they are the longest lasting media that will hold the most contamination imo. Best of all FLOW.

If I use one filter per year which would be two oil changes on one filter then iv got 22 years (iv had 2 before this order).

That would be right at 10,000 miles on each filter with the 2 changes.

I think im going to do it.

And what is the beta testing you speak of? you talking about what is on your oil filter thread with the pictures?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, Im in the same position as U&A. And forever ago I bought 10 Fram Ultras for my G37. Im still on that original buy since I only use one a year.

My only worry with stocking up on the RP is if my dealer ever balks at it, for warranty purposes. Im sure I could resell any leftovers to you guys :) but I just didnt want to hear from them that they are choosing to void things because of a (better) oil filter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The beta testing actually held true to their published efficiency. While other filters like wix were lying about thier efficiency, RP was saying hey we are much less efficienct. Not in those words :) If I can find it I will post it. It is thicker looser media like we've be saying day one, the good thing is that leads to good flow and good contaminant holding, the bad news is it is less effieicent.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The beta testing actually held true to their published efficiency. While other filters like wix were lying about thier efficiency, RP was saying hey we are much less efficienct. Not in those words :) If I can find it I will post it. It is thicker looser media like we've be saying day one, the good thing is that leads to good flow and good contaminant holding, the bad news is it is less effieicent.

I do know what you are saying about the RP media. Just wasn’t sure if you have shared that testing or not. Would be cool to see if you find it sir.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe they took that page down, but you see the amsoil page and q&a at RP sight, they suggest the same efficiency. Funny on amsoil pdf look at toyora and honda filtration, lol JAPAN.

amsoiil pdf

rp q&a beta results

The efficiency of a filter is described in terms of a percentage of particles caught at a certain particle size(and larger). Using the ISO 4548-12 multi-pass filtration efficiency test, Royal Purple filters are:

-99% at 25 micron and larger

-98.7% at 20 micron and larger

-80% at 10 micron and larger

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Maybe they took that page down, but you see the amsoil page and q&a at RP sight, they suggest the same efficiency. Funny on amsoil pdf look at toyora and honda filtration, lol JAPAN.

amsoiil pdf

rp q&a beta results

The efficiency of a filter is described in terms of a percentage of particles caught at a certain particle size(and larger). Using the ISO 4548-12 multi-pass filtration efficiency test, Royal Purple filters are:

-99% at 25 micron and larger

-98.7% at 20 micron and larger

-80% at 10 micron and larger

Holy **** @ the Japanese OE filters lol. Last I heard from Champ they're the same filter basically so the numbers matching makes complete sense. Those numbers are nothing to scoff at for full flow and show even with the best of the best filters you should follow sensible OCI's. Only way to get better than that would be bypass filtration which IMO isn't worth it on non commercial applications.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
68 RFE teardown!!!! Wait until you see the spin on filter AND the Line Pressure Sensor can burn up your transmission??? Really FCA are you kidding??? Definitely add the Sensor to your scheduled maintenance.

Finally got a chance to watch this. Fantastic video Hammer! Clearly shows the valve body in these trans are pretty easy to get out and work on.

So the major things I learned from this are: 1 change the fluid often because the fluid in that trans is pretty bad, 2 make sure to screw the spin on filter on enough so it doesn't come loose, 3 don't get water in a RFE trans, 4 and finally like you mentioned change the line pressure sensor regularly since if it goes bad it can grenade the trans.

A couple other things that stuck out to were this trans was in a tow truck so it was worked pretty hard/abused. If you suspect water got in your trans change the the fluid ASAP. Water makes the friction materials delaminate from the metal backing. I'm not sure how you would get all the water out besides a flush but a few drain and fills would be better than nothing.

Thanks for finding this video!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Finally got a chance to watch this. Fantastic video Hammer! Clearly shows the valve body in these trans are pretty easy to get out and work on.

So the major things I learned from this are: 1 change the fluid often because the fluid in that trans is pretty bad, 2 make sure to screw the spin on filter on enough so it doesn't come loose, 3 don't get water in a RFE trans, 4 and finally like you mentioned change the line pressure sensor regularly since if it goes bad it can grenade the trans.

A couple other things that stuck out to were this trans was in a tow truck so it was worked pretty hard/abused. If you suspect water got in your trans change the the fluid ASAP. Water makes the friction materials delaminate from the metal backing. I'm not sure how you would get all the water out besides a flush but a few drain and fills would be better than nothing.

Thanks for finding this video!

Great little conclusion on the video Cory.

These are all great reasons to have the proper amount of fluid on standby for your engine,transmission, transfer case, and both differentials and all filters on hand ready to go.

If **** goes south real quick and somehow you end up in deep water (pun intended) you can change it ASAP.

Don’t know if it still holds true but I remember the rule of thumb used to be if your axle went underwater (more than half you tire) you might want to consider changing fluids starting at the lowest point ( diffs) and working up checking for water.

Last edited:

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I just ordered (yesterday) some PUP 5w20 from Walmart online. The order was lost last time and I had to mix 2; 0w40 SRT's with 5; regular Platinum 5w20. Didn't really notice any difference, but I'll feel better using the PUP.

Free shipping, 10.43 a qt.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ok: Now a possible sensor to be concerned with!
Anyone have a suggestion or recommendation on the service mileage of these line pressure sensors?

I'm thinking a well maintained / clean RFE would have less of a issue - compared to a abused / neglected RFE & possibly that sensor getting plugged or partially plugged with sludge or contaminates & causing issues (false reading) & creating incorrect pressues!

Just me thinking out loud again!

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok: Now a possible sensor to be concerned with!
Anyone have a suggestion or recommendation on the service mileage of these line pressure sensors?

I'm thinking a well maintained / clean RFE would have less of a issue - compared to a abused / neglected RFE & possibly that sensor getting plugged or partially plugged with sludge or contaminates & causing issues (false reading) & creating incorrect pressues!

Just me thinking out loud again!

I agree with this, keep the fluid clean and fresh and you will have many years of reliable service out of the the line pressure sensor.

However, I think I'm going to make that an every other year change. It is a bit pricey at $60+ for an after market sensor but then again how much is a trans rebuild...

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I was thinking maybe @ every other filter change when the pan is dropped.
Time for some more research/reading .

Basically for my 68RFE - every 60-80k miles.
Ok: I can deal with that!

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
New sensors or any other electrical components have been known as bad before install.
Need a way to verify/test as good.