Votes: 401 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 161 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 999 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 664 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ Syn , no I haven't .

I have however entertained the idea of doing so .

There is more than enogh room for the install with the electronic steering actuator. Not sure why they even changed the filter SIZE?
I just haven't had time yet to really nail down if there's any internal specifications that would require a filter change between the 2012 and the 13+ Ram's .

Differences like micron filtration , ADBV quality , bypass pressure difference or the engines oil pump p/n and or output ranges .

I'd like to run the larger filter for obvious reasons, but I first must satisfy myself in ( is there a legitimate reason not to )

What's your thoughts sir on running the larger filters for the 2012 & prior trucks on the 13 + trucks with the 5.7L s?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Steve: My service mgr just informed me that the switch was due to the electric power steering unit. Nothing More! {I have him on speed dial} He Hates My Guts!

I am for sure entertaining the idea. Just being able to use the same filter on 2 autos would be nice.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plus I found out that the MO-339 is kind of hard to find on the shelf. The MO-899 is the more common and it is also cheaper! The steering unit in these newer 4th gens may have enough room for the larger filter, but it also just maybe a tighter squeeze to get in and out? If anything I would rather run the larger filter just because it is cheaper and I also don't necessarily need synthetic media because of my short OCI and 95% Highway driving.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know how hard it is to install the MO-899 on the 4th gens with electronic steering rack? I am 6'4" 260 lbs and I don't have small hands or fingers. So if it is a tight squeeze, I may just stick with the smaller filter for ease of installation.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
@ Syn , no I haven't .

I have however entertained the idea of doing so .

There is more than enogh room for the install with the electronic steering actuator. Not sure why they even changed the filter SIZE?
I just haven't had time yet to really nail down if there's any internal specifications that would require a filter change between the 2012 and the 13+ Ram's .

Differences like micron filtration , ADBV quality , bypass pressure difference or the engines oil pump p/n and or output ranges .

I'd like to run the larger filter for obvious reasons, but I first must satisfy myself in ( is there a legitimate reason not to )

What's your thoughts sir on running the larger filters for the 2012 & prior trucks on the 13 + trucks with the 5.7L s?

The face of the block where the filter mounts is smaller. Doesn't matter as the gasket surface area still lines up. I think the only difference would be the bypass pressure spring. I would think more media surface area would equal less delta p across the media.

Someone here took a pic and posted it. You can see the outer 1/4" or so of the filter when looking from up top. I don't think you'd have any issues.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone know how hard it is to install the MO-899 on the 4th gens with electronic steering rack? I am 6'4" 260 lbs and I don't have small hands or fingers. So if it is a tight squeeze, I may just stick with the smaller filter for ease of installation.
There is plenty of room for the filter to be installed , go in from the front ( it's easier that way )
Depending on your flexibility, you may want to just grab a normal size human to spin it on for ya

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'll beat beat Hemi395 to the punch and post this unscientific view of Amsoil, Redline and Motul. Notice the redline is clear compared to how cloudy Amsoil and Motul is. I have posted that Motul and redline where clones, but have since found out this is not the case. Look at the HTHS, Visc at 100, and other top stats, Motul reads more like group 3 oils in this area, where u know where redline stands, on top.

Clear and clings to the sides better, Hmm looks like something I would want in my cars. Looks cold, like sub zero out there.

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'll beat beat Hemi395 to the punch and post this unscientific view of Amsoil, Redline and Motul. Notice the redline is clear compared to how cloudy Amsoil and Motul is. I have posted that Motul and redline where clones, but have since found out this is not the case. Look at the HTHS, Visc at 100, and other top stats, Motul reads more like group 3 oils in this area, where u know where redline stands, on top.

Clear and clings to the sides better, Hmm looks like something I would want in my cars. Looks cold, like sub zero out there.
Interesting, but I will never be in that cold of temperature!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Same goes for when it gets hot as when it gets cold, only group 5 is going to out perform all other oils.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
On the 2X4 5.7 there is limited clearance between the electric steering unit housing and the dome on the shorter type filter.
Believe longer filter will fit on the 2X4, but would have to use oil filter pliers to remove it, while using an oil filter cup socket
with ratchet wrench would be difficult to remove. Possible to remove with a Large strong hand, but prefer to perform OC with hot oil.

Last edited:

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
RLK: Have you ever installed one of the larger oil filters?

My sons 5.4L 3V takes the Ultra XG2-->Thinking of just buying 2 next time and using one on my 5.7L.

Kotta:
Hemi is correct there is not a thing wrong with the Mopar filters. The Mopar can handle 5K mile OCI easy.

I have a sickness and I am more **** then most! I prefer to run a synthetic media filter with a 99% Efficiency @ 20 microns and as MotorKing has posted a 80% Efficiency @ 5 microns-->Which is not advertised. I am very pleased with my Oil & Filter combo.

Also: There is never a dead horse around here! Questions are always welcome! The problem is You will receive MANY different answers. Then you have a decision to make.

No guess work needed, the big filters will fit with no problem at all, been there done that already but before you proceed you might want to research the two and compare specs as I did. if you look at the specs on the wix xp for a 2013 back which is larger it has less flow rating and a stiffer bypass spring rate than the one for 2014 up, should be the same on other brands if they go by factory specs. flow rate of the larger was 9-11 GPM the small one was 10-12 bypass spring was 12 on small and 16 on the large one. I ran a fram tough guard in the larger size and had a little less oil pressure I just figured because it held more oil before I read about the less flow of the bigger wix but I never looked up frams specs.

Last edited:

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are the specs on the mopar is it full synthetic like the others mentioned ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
What are the specs on the mopar is it full synthetic like the others mentioned ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use the Mopar but I did look into it before I switched to the Fram Ultra.
As far as I have read and researched-->Mopar highers out to the lowest bidder, to produce their oil filters. I think right it looks like Champion Labs {According to Champion Labs wedsite} but not to long ago it was Purolator. {This is subject to change at any time}.

As for specs I have no idea. I can look for ya? As for the synthetic media filter? To the best of my knowledge the Mopar Line does not incorporate synthetic media except for maybe the SRT filter.

Just happen to stumble upon this bit of knowledge----->Per square inch of media, lofted synthetic fiber media is far less restrictive then cellulose given equal efficiency. One engineer told me it can be as much as 50% more flow.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The SRT filter is synthetic.

Correct me if I am wrong! But is the SRT the same size as the larger Mopar filter?-->MO-899.

Many are claiming using them on the 5.7L with no issues.

SRT engineers suggest using the SRT oil filter (part number 05038041AA). Originally designed for Viper applications, it works great with all Chrysler V8 engines. The SRT filter features a higher differential pressure bypass valve and reduced pressure loss across the filter element" {Created due to and for heavy track use}.

I thought I read some where that it has some type of synthetic media, can't find it now.

Only real draw back is the Price! As well as you just can't walk into any auto parts store and pick these off of the shelf. Almost have to get them online. Unless you have a favorite auto parts store that will stock them.

Just a bit more info on the SRT Filter! This is a quote from one of the SRT engineers.

His Statement:
The SRT oil filter for all the past engines and the new 22mm inlet SRT filter for the Gen 4 and beyond engines share the same characteristics.
We worked with many of the filter suppliers to get the best features. Some fell out for various performance reasons but we ended up developing the current SRT filters with one of the mainstream manufacturers (it is different than their commercial offerings - or at least was when we developed it). The high flow oil pumps in our large engines (Viper is the biggest) can overpower the internal relief valve. When this valve opens it allows some of the high pressure dirty oil to bypass the filter element in order to keep the filter from being damaged. The SRT filters do indeed have a higher differential bypass valve to make sure all the oil delivered to your powerplant is clean. The housing is slightly thicker than many of the brands out there to handle the pressure but is not the thickest. The real thick ones failed our development testing (fractured at the crimped flange). The media used was one of the latest synthetics that allowed very fine filtration, more debris capacity, and much lower restriction than our standard Mopar filter (and just about every other filter out there). The final result was clean oil to your Snake, all the time, with more pressure to the internals where it is needed.

I don't know honestly if it is a good fit for the 5.7L? {It Might Be}. Need to see some Efficiency Numbers.

I myself and not concerned. I found my filter! It is a very interesting filter for sure.

Last edited:

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So i just wanted to throw this out there. I originally started with the dealer synthetic/filter. Then i switched to Penzoil Ultra Platinum and a RP filter in hopes that my hemi tick would go away. It didn't stop it.

So I switched to red line and an RP filter this past oil change, now the tick is gone! So redline did the trick for me!

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
So i just wanted to throw this out there. I originally started with the dealer synthetic/filter. Then i switched to Penzoil Ultra Platinum and a RP filter in hopes that my hemi tick would go away. It didn't stop it.

So I switched to red line and an RP filter this past oil change, now the tick is gone! So redline did the trick for me!

Kg: Metalfarm: a new member just posted about his hemi tick. Could you visit his thread and post your experience?

Thanks

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

There is a lot of confusion on just what a hemi tick is as the hemi has several noises that many call hemi tick, could you please describe what your "tick" is? is it the fast ticking at startup that lasts only a few seconds or is it a taping sound that only happens when the motor is cold like from sitting over night or for many hours and the tick goes away when it reaches operating temp? Or is different from the above?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ricardo225