Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's always been a 15 MPG truck, before and after. After the change, the placebo effect was very strong, and I thought I was getting 19MPG~20MPG. Of course, I kept resetting the MPG meter and I was getting that kind of mileage on the highway, babying it.
Interesting, I ask because when I went back to the 203 I didn't reset the MPG meter. Only thing I did was adjust my tune to delay the cooling fan coming on to 210⁰. I picked up almost 1mpg and I'm back to around 15mpg combined. According to the MPG meter anyway.....

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Not the most friendly graph, but you get the idea. 185f = 85c, follow graph from 100c to 85c, and you see how thick the oil was when you ran the 180, it is easily running like a 40 weight oil, maybe 50.

303d1501884683-vq-oil-analysis-and-info-viscosity2.jpg

That's not exactly accurate because coolant temperature is measured where it exists the block in the water pump. What needs to be measured is the oil temperature, and that's displayed on the dash. These HEMIs are such old technology that the oil temperature is highly dependant on ambient. That's what you get when you pinch pennies and fail to install an oil heat exchanger, never mind an oil cooler. In this weather, truck empty, no towing, oil climbs to 200F~205F. Honestly, I need to try Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 for a change and see how temperatures are and how oil behaves. The thermostat isn't the big issue, deleting the grille shutters changed everything. Before the shutter delete, I was around 200F, so it was a 20F linear delete. The grille shutters dropped the temps even further. So, not to confuse anyone, I changed the thermostat first, and about a week after that I did the grille shutter delete. Maybe I shouldn't have. That being said, it's awesome for towing, the engine is strong and I have yet to see oil over 220F while towing 3000~4000 pounds going up a grade while doing 70~80 MPH.

It may run better with 5W-20 now that engine is cooler, who knows. The thing is, it runs perfectly fine, no issues. The engine warms up quickly. Before when I had the shutters, the computer would close them and turn the fan on when I started the truck up. It took forever to warm up. Now I quickly up to temperature. If I get off the highway a d sit in traffic, and I'm over 185F, say towing, while I wait at stop lights, bumper to bumper, and so on, it cools back down to 185F. The oil cools down as well. The oil temperature is highly influenced by ambient. This engine might be perfectly happy with a 5W-30 ILSAC oil all year long, who knows. I don't have the hydrodynamic data for 5W-20 and 0W-40 oils, however, I'm reasonably sure that the difference isn't that big because HTFS for almost any 5W-20 is around 2.0, while HTFS for Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is exactly 2.3. It may be a bad idea to actually switch to RedLine for me because the HTFS of RL 5W-30 is around 2.85, that's in heavy duty territory. Coupled with a cool running oil, it might be too thick.

I remember that we discussed this before where I asked you guys if I should go to a thinner oil after I changed my thermostat, and you guys said no. @Hemi395 encouraged me to stay with it, while @HEMIMANN said that motor oxidation doubles with every 10F after 140F, so I don't have to worry about my oil running too cold or sludge for that matter.

Now, pardon my long post, but I'm somewhat curious how 5W-20 would behave in a cooler running engine and what the fuel mileage will be.

I did notice a drastic drop in MPG when towing. Before I was getting 14 to 15 MPG while towing, now I'm getting 12. I'm talking 2000~3000 pound loads. I will attribute the drop more to the oil that runs thicker now, but who knows. Before I swapped the shutter-thermostat job, towing that would heat up the coolant to 245F on the highway, and oil not far behind. Now it's hard to get even up to 220F doing the same thing, depending on ambient.

So, what do you guys think?

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Interesting, I ask because when I went back to the 203 I didn't reset the MPG meter. Only thing I did was adjust my tune to delay the cooling fan coming on to 210⁰. I picked up almost 1mpg and I'm back to around 15mpg combined. According to the MPG meter anyway.....

Never underestimate the MPG placebo effect. Some people get it when they switch oil brands, let alone a thermostat ;)

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My mpg has been the same or nearly the same since going from 5w20 to 0w40. I will keep the 203 tstat due to the winters here. Last winter after 30 minute drive to work runnin it hard oil temps usually Round 197 as i pulled into work. Current average is 20.1 mpg

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I dont drive it as hard as i have in the past. When driving it hard i get around 16.5-18. Hauling a trailer full of firewood and a box full in tow haul got 16.5 mpg

I know, I was joking. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a camper shell installed. I bet that messes up my fuel mileage.

truck.jpeg

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@phoenixgenesys

question for you, what fluid are you going with for your 8 speed? I am torn between amsoil and lifeguard 8. Most like i will go with lifeguard 8. Another fluid that has intrigued me is motul atf vi but i have not seen a voa or a uoa for that fluid and the pour point is not listed in the pds.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hit 16.1 the other day :lol: I have never seen 20. My dad claims he did all the time. I drive like a grandpa in it trying to keep my mpg up. Gotta love that 6 speed.:party36:

Rod Knock

Reaction score
@phoenixgenesys

question for you, what fluid are you going with for your 8 speed? I am torn between amsoil and lifeguard 8. Most like i will go with lifeguard 8. Another fluid that has intrigued me is motul atf vi but i have not seen a voa or a uoa for that fluid and the pour point is not listed in the pds.

Lifeguard 8. The problem isn't that AMSOIL or even Red Line ATF aren't good, but rather that it's really difficult to replace all the fluid at once. In fact, Lifeguard 8 is slightly inferior to the other two, but it's still damn good. So I'll stick to Lifeguard 8 to keep things simple. I bought 8 quarts of it.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Lifeguard 8. The problem isn't that AMSOIL or even Red Line ATF aren't good, but rather that it's really difficult to replace all the fluid at once. In fact, Lifeguard 8 is slightly inferior to the other two, but it's still damn good. So I'll stick to Lifeguard 8 to keep things simple. I bought 8 quarts of it.
Thats what i was thinking to. Im just going to use lifeguard 8. The ad pack looks stout for an atf i just hate the price and hoped i could do better for cheaper. Mobil 1 lv atf has nearly identical viscosity but from uoas ive seen the ad pack is no where near what lifeguard 8 is.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe I am getting old and cant see for ****, but this doesn't look like a spare bumper or a hitch spare, but something else? Nothing says go ahead and rear-end me like a spare tire hanging off your rear?

Dodge-Hitchgate-2.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was right, Wilco Offroad Hitchgate SoloXL Spare Tire Carrier.

Man they get a pretty penny for that, just under a G. Pretty cool, relocates the hitch. so you can carry trailer behind this, allthough I would keep it light.

e0c6e0668eb030fe2fa0cd8806873311.jpg