Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
YUP, why I have a Hemi instead of a V6, now the E Torque V6, or a newer RAM. I be very happy with the aspirated motor, not racing, just runs better. But U know, other haters get on here, but my opinion is: Each to their Own. Why I would never buy a V6 truck, nor the Ford Turbo junk, or a brand new Chevy with a 2.7L turbo pulling a 6,000 lb truck, geez. But all this IMHO.
Amen, Hemis are easy to work on and just overall simple motors. Same with the non Etorque 3.6. No turbo or GDI on either and if taken care of both will go well over 200k without issue if you negate the cam/lifter issues of the Hemi. But even that I'd rather deal with than a block design that blows headgaskets.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It will never cease to amaze me how folks will jump over a dollar to save a dime, then try to polish the brass on the Titanic. During last year's 5+ dollar a gallon fuel, several of my customers decided to buy non top tier fuel to save maybe 50 cents per gallon on fill ups. This, in spite of me constantly cluing them in to the dire necessity of using top tier fuel.

Sure enough, 3 of them cam in with check engine lights on, and ash on the spark plugs and on the oxygen sensors, sporting numerous DTC's. These 3 had to have new plugs, all the oxygen sensors, and new catalytic converters.

The total tally on them was a lot. The savings was nil. In the big picture of life, there are few shortcuts which work effectively. The piper must be paid, so to speak.

The same goes for top tier oil.
Top Tier fuels are 100% worth the extra 5 cents. When towing my camper in the fall, I had to stop at a non TT gas station. Filled up with 93 and the truck just ran different than on TT fuel. It was name brand too, just not TT. Took 2 tanks of TT for it be "normal" again.

After seeing the difference both our vehicles only get TT fuel.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GM is falling all over themselves trying to sell 6,000 lb Silverados with the silly 2.7 L Turbo. There have allegedly been complaints ref performance especially being underpowered, imagine that. But alas PPL, yer vehicle, yer $$$, buy and run what U will.

ADDED INFO/READERS DELIGHT: Chevy dealer here keeps trying to get me to buy a new truck. Tried to sneak in a Silverado with the 4 banger, nah. Then they trying to get me to get a Sierra with the 5.3. I told em, I need a truck with TT controls, etc, there is only 1 on lot. Also, the GM AFM/DFM is worse than the Mopar MDS, trashing cams and cylinders. SO, it just so happens the one Sierra on the lot is the only one with TT controls, and has disabled AFM due to chips, but they want to upsell me over a high MSRP, low ball me on trade, so I just giggle and say nope, I's good. A different guy to include now the sales manager blows up phone, I just delete message, lmao. I told em exactly how much I would put down and what my monthly payment was to be, as I would like a new ride, not need. They try to sneak it, makes me giggle more, not my first Rodeo.

ADDED: I cannot find a RAM ne where close that has I what I want unless go way too high up in trim and friggin RAM be more than a Sierra.

So yeah, a turbo's 4 banger might be OK in a 3000 lb car, but IMHO, not in a 6,000 lb truck, and this is all IMHO, so haters, stay away, lmao.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will never cease to amaze me how folks will jump over a dollar to save a dime, then try to polish the brass on the Titanic. During last year's 5+ dollar a gallon fuel, several of my customers decided to buy non top tier fuel to save maybe 50 cents per gallon on fill ups. This, in spite of me constantly cluing them in to the dire necessity of using top tier fuel.

Sure enough, 3 of them cam in with check engine lights on, and ash on the spark plugs and on the oxygen sensors, sporting numerous DTC's. These 3 had to have new plugs, all the oxygen sensors, and new catalytic converters.

The total tally on them was a lot. The savings was nil. In the big picture of life, there are few shortcuts which work effectively. The piper must be paid, so to speak.

The same goes for top tier oil.
I stay with Top Tier fuels and oils. I stay away from Mom and Pop stations. I do not care where price goes, not need all that trash in my motor. I stay with 89 for truck, since all my lawn stuff etc made to run on 89, so just easier to fuel truck and cans. Also, for giggles, once in a blue moon, throw some 93 in the truck, when just topping off. Makes me happy, starts, runs, and heck even the heat and radio works. What more could a truck guy want, LMAO. I just a simple BOIRD.....

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
STILL no Top Tier Gasoline around here. WTF is so difficult sourcing another 0.5% detergent chemicals?!

On another topic, wifey's Mazda 2.5L Turbo is doing ok, but I should note that the displacement is considerable - it has old-timey 4 cylinder displacement, not the new 1.3-1.5L w*h*i*z motors that get turbo'd to death no matter what load they're running.

I spent inordinate time selecting this car because of all the things the EPA and OEM's are doing to just get a car out the door and who cars if it only lasts 1-2 years. They cost too much to be cavalier about reliability and longevity now days.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
GM is falling all over themselves trying to sell 6,000 lb Silverados with the silly 2.7 L Turbo. There have allegedly been complaints ref performance especially being underpowered, imagine that. But alas PPL, yer vehicle, yer $$$, buy and run what U will.

ADDED INFO/READERS DELIGHT: Chevy dealer here keeps trying to get me to buy a new truck. Tried to sneak in a Silverado with the 4 banger, nah. Then they trying to get me to get a Sierra with the 5.3. I told em, I need a truck with TT controls, etc, there is only 1 on lot. Also, the GM AFM/DFM is worse than the Mopar MDS, trashing cams and cylinders. SO, it just so happens the one Sierra on the lot is the only one with TT controls, and has disabled AFM due to chips, but they want to upsell me over a high MSRP, low ball me on trade, so I just giggle and say nope, I's good. A different guy to include now the sales manager blows up phone, I just delete message, lmao. I told em exactly how much I would put down and what my monthly payment was to be, as I would like a new ride, not need. They try to sneak it, makes me giggle more, not my first Rodeo.

ADDED: I cannot find a RAM ne where close that has I what I want unless go way too high up in trim and friggin RAM be more than a Sierra.

So yeah, a turbo's 4 banger might be OK in a 3000 lb car, but IMHO, not in a 6,000 lb truck, and this is all IMHO, so haters, stay away, lmao.

BOIRD, I had a Chevy 5.3L AFM oil pumper. NEVER again!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
STILL no Top Tier Gasoline around here. WTF is so difficult sourcing another 0.5% detergent chemicals?!

On another topic, wifey's Mazda 2.5L Turbo is doing ok, but I should note that the displacement is considerable - it has old-timey 4 cylinder displacement, not the new 1.3-1.5L w*h*i*z motors that get turbo'd to death no matter what load they're running.

I spent inordinate time selecting this car because of all the things the EPA and OEM's are doing to just get a car out the door and who cars if it only lasts 1-2 years. They cost too much to be cavalier about reliability and longevity now days.
No Shell or Mobil there??

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
GM is falling all over themselves trying to sell 6,000 lb Silverados with the silly 2.7 L Turbo. There have allegedly been complaints ref performance especially being underpowered, imagine that.

Actually it's the complete opposite, I'm on the GM forums and the only complaint so far is "but it doesn't sound like a v8" from the die hard v8 guys like us. Drive one, just for kicks, you'll realize how badly our hemi underperforms compared to it.

On my test drive of a used "custom" trim with the 2.7 running noisy AT's, I literally had to pull over and pop the hood because I could not believe it was a 4 banger. That thing scoots.

I will say it was a tiny bit more busy than my truck, a little more eager to downshift and very quick to upshift, my truck is still more smooth and luxurious.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

redline si-1 mic drop. You cant run a short oil interval and ignore the combustion chamber. Amsoil PI, RP PEA treatment, techron, use something.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. NO Top Tier Fuel! Remember they supposedly couldn't get extra detergent additive during the great supply chain fiasco?
I'm only about an hour from the cities and all of our kwik trips have it. Even on top tier gas's website they took down the disclaimer saying they could not verify all the gas stations on their list meets the top tier. So all the gas stations on their list should be good now. Unless there's something else I missed.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BOIRD, I had a Chevy 5.3L AFM oil pumper. NEVER again!
YUP, but this 2022 Sierra has a 5.3 with no AFM/DFM, so worth taking a look. BUT they R trying to think my Old A Z Z is stupid. I do not need, only kinda want, meet me where I wanna be or Bye Bye, do not call. They just call and try to get me to walk in the door to try to impress me. SO FUNNY. I only went to look, as they R purty and there was a purty Black one all decked out, but had no TT controls, so he showed me the Only one that had TT controls. NONE of the other Sierra's had TT Controls and none of the top end Silverado's did either, and this is truck/farm country, dumb dealers. Salesman opens back door and shows me the LIL seat in a Seat compartment and I was supposed to be impressed? LMAO> The only thing that made me look just a lil is NO DFM/AFM, NOT INSTALLED AND it is well optioned and has TT controls. Salesman tells me I do not need TT to tow, I looked at him, really, wat Banana tree do U think I fell off of. It always amazes me at how stupid and uninformed some salespeople R. I would go RAM in a sec they just not got ne thing I would be willing to pay 65K for, LOL. The 5.3 is a good engine as long as no AFM. But not matter, my RAM is sitting out front at 14 degrees, saying WTF, this is middle of TX, WTF over.

All above to give somebody a chuckle.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually it's the complete opposite, I'm on the GM forums and the only complaint so far is "but it doesn't sound like a v8" from the die hard v8 guys like us. Drive one, just for kicks, you'll realize how badly our hemi underperforms compared to it.

On my test drive of a used "custom" trim with the 2.7 running noisy AT's, I literally had to pull over and pop the hood because I could not believe it was a 4 banger. That thing scoots.

I will say it was a tiny bit more busy than my truck, a little more eager to downshift and very quick to upshift, my truck is still more smooth and luxurious.
I get you, opinions differ. Our Hemi's not sound like a V8 when MDS on too, but I pull a 2150 lb trailer when loaded is at 7-8000 lbs, and I am just old school, not want some over torqued high spun 4 banger in a truck ne way, especially screaming to move that load, why, is this a lil Frontier? But that is just how I feel and my OPINION only.

ADDED: My motorcycle scoots, trucks roll, roflmao, my Inane sense of humor, but I's a BOIRD. AND U can taker that GM AFM/DFM stuff and put it in a garbage can. I know several PPL with 2022 trucks in the shop already because of those systems with wiped cylinders, and GM not even wanna repair whole side, just affected cylinder, but that is a different topic.

CAVEAT: Not brand loyal, was always a GM guy, but I also had F 150's and Dodge/RAM too. Give me something that works, wat a simple BOIRD needs. Wife's 2010 F 150 with the piggy 5.4 Triton sitting in a garage in WI with her younger son now owning (wife died), with 46K on odometer, and it runs like a top. Only thing I put in it was a new idler tensioner and a battery, LOL.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sadly this guy didnt do si-1, wwe know how good the boroscopes look with that. My guess, if you have long term use with something like this, it will work to clean that. Of the products he used, only sea foam though vac lines did better if I remember. I will see if I can find anymore options. Post up some youtubes on fuel cleaners this am, see if anything suprises us.

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
BUT I bet the Hemi overall would have a lower cost of ownership to 200k than that 2.7
Not if you have to do a cam and lifter job.

Both engines should run a motor oil with a minimum HTHS of 3.5 and a beefy additive package (e.g. VW502 like the oil I listed a few pages back, except that one was a 0W-20 with a Porsche A40 capable add pack).

Good only can only protect an engine from surface wear. It cannot protect it from grenading itself due to faulty design or poor components, like crappy Chinese lifters.

Motor oil only protects the surface of metal. It cannot compensate for improper hardening or the use of poor materials, bad alloys, cheap metallurgy, and so on. It's just common sense. The Chinese aren't exactly known for their quality metallurgy, so there's your bad lifter problem explained.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not if you have to do a cam and lifter job.

Both engines should run a motor oil with a minimum HTHS of 3.5 and a beefy additive package (e.g. VW502 like the oil I listed a few pages back, except that one was a 0W-20 with a Porsche A40 capable add pack).

Good only can only protect an engine from surface wear. It cannot protect it from grenading itself due to faulty design or poor components, like crappy Chinese lifters.

Motor oil only protects the surface of metal. It cannot compensate for improper hardening or the use of poor materials, bad alloys, cheap metallurgy, and so on. It's just common sense. The Chinese aren't exactly known for their quality metallurgy, so there's your bad lifter problem explained.

Correct, but statistically theres only 5% of Hemis that need cam/lifter jobs. A turbo, high pressure fuel pump, etc will approach the cost of a cam lifter job.

And those are far more common repairs on a small displacement GDI turbo motor.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
redline si-1 mic drop. You cant run a short oil interval and ignore the combustion chamber. Amsoil PI, RP PEA treatment, techron, use something.

Thanks for this - great idea. I guess it didn't occur to me having never been in this unprecedented situation before.