Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I'd be interested if the price was decent and they would actually ship to Canada.

It's been my experience that most places won't ship oil across the border to Canada for private sale and if they do the extra charges are insane.
Agreed, but paying duty on discounted product could still mean good savings for us Canucks ;)
Let's see what they come up with :)

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Very interesting, thanks for doing the work on that. I'd consider RL if the new formula is still "honey worthy" and the price is good.

On a different note, just watched the latest YT video from Savage Geese; apparently the 2024 toyota crown specs 0w-8. Yes. "8". :shakehead:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Happy to help Us All!!!
Let's see what comes out of it. But RL indicating that we could buy direct was a nice piece to hear from them.

and WTF....0W8.... ummmmm...okay...

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
So, All.

I sent a little email to Red Line today and got a call back from Art of Red Line within 60 minutes, and we spoke about a bunch of things, including working a nice offering for the Ram Forum Family on discounts and possibly a deeper group discount on a big first order.

"Conrad,
Great talking with you. Always glad to meet a new Mopar fanatic! Let me see what I can do on a program for the forums. I’ll be back in touch. Feel free to email or call if you have questions or comments!
Art"

Art said there may be an option for us to purchase directly from Red Line with nice discounts, but their biggest bottleneck is shipping. He said that shipping out of California is ridiculously expensive, but doable.

How do you all feel we could work on shipping product to the Ram Forum members if we purchase directly from Red Line in Cali?

The other option he said is that they have a very large distributor in a different state that makes extremely large purchases directly from RL on a monthly basis and ships all over USA/Canada, and elsewhere in the world, and would be on board for discounts and fair shipping for the Ram Forum Members. Apparently, this distributor also carries pretty much all their SKU's, plus other items as well, so getting what we want shouldn't be an issue, and all with discounts for Forum Members.

Bottom line is that he's going to look at several options and table them all so we can all decide how it best serves our needs to move forward with next steps.

I hope you all don't mind that I went ahead and reached out to Red Line, but after me suggesting a group buy plan for discounts earlier today and seeing the responses that it's really not something Red Line does directly, well.... challenge accepted to see if I could net some results with Red Line directly.

I will say that I was quite impressed that I received a call from one of their Senior Sales Managers in Cali within 60 minutes of me emailing them on their customer service portal on their website. His attitude and attentiveness to what we/I was asking for in terms of deeper discounts for bigger volumes was hitting home to him.

He also happens to be a huge MOPAR fanatic, knows all about the tick and cam issues, and runs RL HP 5W30 and RP oil filters in all his and his families vehicles, including transmissions and other fluids.

He also works with Mike from Arrington frequently and together they sponsor some big events together. Pretty cool stuff.

Lastly, he was quite impressed with the various threads on Synthetic Oil, Blackstone UOA, Hemi Tick, and other related threads on our forum. He volunteered that, too. So, it tells me that "they" are hearing us (and trolling...lol) ;)

Anyhoo..... I'll post up Art's email once he puts some things together for us all to look at and consider.

Looking forward to the opportunity for us all being able to stock pile our favorite lubricants for much better pricing points.

Curious, did "Art" make any mention/reference to whom their "very large distributer out of state" is ... maybe Summit Racing?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Happy to help Us All!!!
Let's see what comes out of it. But RL indicating that we could buy direct was a nice piece to hear from them.

and WTF....0W8.... ummmmm...okay...

Nice work, but it won't matter much for me as it would be most helpful/beneficial, dollar wise, to folks whom perform more frequent oci's, but I ain't complaining, either!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I think the admins excommunicated me from Syn Thread for excessive rambling - hadn't been notified about any of the above activity.

Good on ya, @CanuckRam1313 for looking out for the members.

@Burla of course Red Line 5W-30 is #1

We also have LubeGard as a tick killer with some other combos, don't recall which.

RL 0W-30 jury is waaaaay out with reformulation. Should work per specs, but no testing. May never since Hemi is retiring.

HP Lubricant Super Car and Premium Plus look very good, BUT - we haven't proven it's a tick killer because it doesn't have ester base oil (don't start on the additive carrier exception, pls). My shaky memory recalls a member not killing tick with Amsoil that had heavy Moly added with pure PAO base oil?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Curious, did "Art" make any mention/reference to whom their "very large distributer out of state" is ... maybe Summit Racing?
He did not volunteer any names at this initial conversation.
Although I made mention specifically that the big distributors were not amenable, and that when I asked Summit for a discount on my order of 12 jugs of RL HP 5W30 and 12 x RP 20-820 oil filters they would not budge on their listed retail price one bit.
He said that's unfortunate, and said he would do better for the Ram Forum Members.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
He did not volunteer any names at this initial conversation.
Although I made mention specifically that the big distributors were not amenable, and that when I asked Summit for a discount on my order of 12 jugs of RL HP 5W30 and 12 x RP 20-820 oil filters they would not budge on their listed retail price one bit.
He said that's unfortunate, and said he would do better for the Ram Forum Members.

Thanks for the reply, here's a screenshot from Summit Racing about their price matching guarantee or go to their website site.

So, they won't give discounts but will beat a price instead?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230720-132652.png
    Screenshot_20230720-132652.png
    232.5 KB · Views: 6

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Thanks for the reply, here's a screenshot from Summit Racing about their price matching guarantee or go to their website site.

So, they won't give discounts but will beat a price instead?
Exactly, and you're very welcome, too.

So, we need to find a real and credible reseller of RL products that is having a sale, and provide it to Summit, who must then vet it, and then may or may not provide a price match for a few shillings of savings...
What's our time worth, personally and professionally!

I'm hoping RL will come to the table for us all now, and this yields some savings across the board for the Ram Forum Members! Fingers crossed for us all.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well boys changed the oil in the truck today, 5300 miles on the RL 5w30. 3000 or so was towing the camper in warm weather, oil temp reached the 240s multiple times for extended periods. I need to look into an oil cooler... Anyway got a sample for a UOA so that should be an interesting report.

Went with SS 0w40 and a RP 20-820 this time.
20230722_125022.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well boys changed the oil in the truck today, 5300 miles on the RL 5w30. 3000 or so was towing the camper in warm weather, oil temp reached the 240s multiple times for extended periods. I need to look into an oil cooler... Anyway got a sample for a UOA so that should be an interesting report.

Went with SS 0w40 and a RP 20-820 this time.
View attachment 525098
Here is a pretty cool uoa 0w40 ss against 0w40 pup in a hellcat, from some dude named cory. I do want to start out by saying the obvious, this is just one example, but the copper should did increase despite the SS run was AFTER the PUP on a new engine. Just something to look at. I do like the SS additive package a bit better, didnt translate to a better uoa in this case. again just one case, further investigation warranted.

However, looking at this 5w30 amsoil ss in a fiesta, wow that viscosity is thin. Considering the viscosity we see on 0w40 ss, clearly in a hemi it is the way to go 5w30 versus 0w40? Again some more invextigation warranted but that is thinner then 5w20 on a 2500 mile run on a ford fiesta, 7'4 tbn left. I wonder if it is mislabeled 5w20 instead of 5w30? Now he does drive it hard, so we need to look at some others.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A little 3.6 update. Still getting the hard rattle start with the 21 Jeep. PUP and Lubeguard are not the answer. @Burla I am thinking Redline and a filter change is next up. Its the canister filter. Do you have an knowledge of which ones are the best? Its currently using the Puralator Boss Filter. I am wondering if I need to do a seafoam flush like I did with my Ram when it started ticking. It has never rattled until about 3k miles ago.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A little 3.6 update. Still getting the hard rattle start with the 21 Jeep. PUP and Lubeguard are not the answer. @Burla I am thinking Redline and a filter change is next up. Its the canister filter. Do you have an knowledge of which ones are the best? Its currently using the Puralator Boss Filter. I am wondering if I need to do a seafoam flush like I did with my Ram when it started ticking. It has never rattled until about 3k miles ago.
Double check, I think the RP part number for that is 40-1009. Depends on why you have a rattle, in this case maybe if it works you are masking the issue, different then what happens with the hemi. My rav 4 was a rattle trap on 5w20, even redline 5w20, went to pup 5w30 and it was and has been butter smooth since. So are you already on 5w30? I do think there is low viscosity rattles sometimes, where the actual issue is using an oil that is too thin, in that case moving up isnt masking anything, but actually providing the correct viscosity despite what the gov't has forced the manu's to use. My new smooth rav 4 has been smooth for 100k miles since moving on 5w20. I also use RP filters and they are also canister.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Double check, I think the RP part number for that is 40-1009. Depends on why you have a rattle, in this case maybe if it works you are masking the issue, different then what happens with the hemi. My rav 4 was a rattle trap on 5w20, even redline 5w20, went to pup 5w30 and it was and has been butter smooth since. So are you already on 5w30? I do think there is low viscosity rattles sometimes, where the actual issue is using an oil that is too thin, in that case moving up isnt masking anything, but actually providing the correct viscosity despite what the gov't has forced the manu's to use. My new smooth rav 4 has been smooth for 100k miles since moving on 5w20. I also use RP filters and they are also canister.

So it specifically can take two oils according to the owners manual. I was running Castrol Edge 5w20 and then on the last oil change with it it started rattling. Its brief maybe 1-2 seconds, but its concerning me. You can do a real quick start then kill it. Then restart it and it doesn't do it. My guess is that due to the way the filter canister is set up, that is the issue. I switched to the other option of 0w20 PUP and lubeguard. It was great for about 1.5 weeks and then this weekend it was back. This is my 4th 3.6 all 17+ model years and this is the first one to suffer from this. I will try the RP filter next as I am trying to make this engine last like my Hemi. The wife absolutely loves it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Have you ever tried 5w30? Again, my wife's 4 banger a freaking rattle trap on 5w20 even redline, I thought ti was the motor mounts it was so bad, to be honest that might be part of it. 5w30 rattle was gone. You live in texas, 5w30 there is like 0w16 in alaska, I can bust out another chart or you can just trust that. I'm not sure redline can help, especially consider this, you are likely using a none approved oil, as you did with lubegard, so you already took some risk. Let us know how it works out.

Sp 0w20 was good for a week? Why would that be? vii's before they shear, which add viscosity. So there is a hint that if you go a little thicker it might kill that rattle.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Piston slap.
I am familiar with the GM LS piston slap and it is definitely not like that. Its a dry rattle on start up. Its hard enough if its pulled in with the stereo up at night, you can hear it. Its a pretty rough shake and then its fine after 1-2 seconds. Its also only after it sits over night. It doesn't do it after a cold start in the morning.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you ever tried 5w30? Again, my wife's 4 banger a freaking rattle trap on 5w20 even redline, I thought ti was the motor mounts it was so bad, to be honest that might be part of it. 5w30 rattle was gone. You live in texas, 5w30 there is like 0w16 in alaska, I can bust out another chart or you can just trust that. I'm not sure redline can help, especially consider this, you are likely using a none approved oil, as you did with lubegard, so you already took some risk. Let us know how it works out.

Sp 0w20 was good for a week? Why would that be? vii's before they shear, which add viscosity. So there is a hint that if you go a little thicker it might kill that rattle.
What is odd, is that the 0w20 seems to do better then the 5w20 in the heat. The rattle at start up was a lot worse. I am hoping our road trip next week will really allow the lubeguard to work. She drives mostly city driving for her work. I have noticed my ram when its doing city driving acts a lot different. If it continues past the next 2-3 oil changes I will try 5w30. I am about 15k until the warranty is done. Dodge has told me that this is totally normal... Go figure lol.