Votes: 404 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 162 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,003 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 665 23.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
100% normal as long as your tail pipe aint smok'n. When you burn oil you get blueish smoke. When did you last change your pcv or do you have a catch can Smiley? My favorite vehicle of all time used a qrt every 3k for 11 years.

No blueish smoke. I do have a catch can! I caught a lot of oil and water per the norm. I just changed out PCV probably at about 7000 on oci. Also replaced the o-ring on gas just the other day as mine was gone and lastly I replaced the breather tube from pcv to air box that I had cut up for K&N filter swap years back. We shall see if that helps and like I said I will go 5W-30 for next OCI since I have MDS turned off anyway!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Probably mentioned in one of the many past post but I hear a lot about PUP and mobile 1 lately and not so much about RP. I've used RP in my truck since the third oil change and have been very happy with it. But with the lack of talk about it on this thread has me second guessing this decision. Would like to hear all opinions on RP please.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think most of us here think it is a pretty solid oil but expensive when you consider it against competition like Mobil, Castrol, and Pennzoil (when available)

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably mentioned in one of the many past post but I hear a lot about PUP and mobile 1 lately and not so much about RP. I've used RP in my truck since the third oil change and have been very happy with it. But with the lack of talk about it on this thread has me second guessing this decision. Would like to hear all opinions on RP please.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
No problem with the Royal Purple oil it's a fine oil sir ! And the Royal Purple RP 10-48 Filter is the fovorite of many to include Myself !

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
No problem with the Royal Purple oil it's a fine oil sir ! And the Royal Purple RP-1048 Filter is the fovorite of many to include Myself !

I assume the RP-1048 is also for the 6.4 HEMI?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not positive .
I have the 5.7 so not sure on the 6.4L .
I use the RP filter because of its 100% synthetic material and the silicon ADBV .

Last edited:

C3ntury

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 09 5.7 (2nd owner) and have run RP 5w20 for many, many years without issues (no tick), but now I am at 114k mi and a while back I heard RP changed or adjusted their formula (less Moly) and wondering any truth to this? Living in Houston, TX it's not just a single season of hot, it's humid almost year round so any reason to switch not only from RP, but from a 5w20? Thanks for any insight :]

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@C3ntury , if you don't have the hemi tick I suggest to keep running the RP 5W-20 .

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree! If it ain't broke don't fix it! Nothing wrong with RP it's a great oil.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

C3ntury

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I assume RP altering their formula was just speculation/rumor and nothing to be concerned about?...that's really what drove the question. Thanky!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Absolutely true royal purple removed moly in their OTC stuff, independent PQIA proved with VOA and many other uoa's as well- HERE. Apparently, it is hit or miss whether it has moly, the only way to tell is to do a uoa yourself. Or, what I would do if I wanted to run RP is run their HPS oil. I don't believe viscosity has much to do with hemi tick, while running 5w30 will undoubtedly make an engine sound smoother, you need elemental support above all else to address tick. I solved my hemi tick with 5w20 for years before moving over to 5w30, I hear no difference. Lifter tick creates pressures at contact that will cut right through any viscosity IMO, you need to smooth it out with high zinc and plate it with high organic moly, anything else like esters would just be a bonus. So I really just wrote this because you asked about moly and the conversation about tick came up, bottom line if it is currently working for you, don't mess with it.

Last edited:

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of good info in here. Just got a 2017 5.7 so debating what I want to run with. Only 400 miles right now so still have some time, but sounds like PUP is a pain at this point. So I will likely either go Redline, Mobil 1, or Amsoil and a 30w.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lots of good info in here. Just got a 2017 5.7 so debating what I want to run with. Only 400 miles right now so still have some time, but sounds like PUP is a pain at this point. So I will likely either go Redline, Mobil 1, or Amsoil and a 30w.

in the same boat. 2000 miles on my ram hemi.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
in the same boat. 2000 miles on my ram hemi.
Nothing wrong with any of the choices above gentleman !

I for one would not let the dealer convince you into their " free" oil changes or their barging oil change program .... never know what kinda crap they might be pumping in from a 500 gal tank that's been sitting for who knows how long , or may have been mixed with what ever over the years .
Some dealers still pour in from qts or gal jugs , imo that would probably be fine .

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-annual-protection

Would be interesting to see a VOA of this New Bad Boy!

Many are saying it will be a Flop! The WM price was showing to be $49 for the 5Qt jug! No thanks!
M1 EP -->guaranteed for 15K miles @ $28 5Qt jug!

Quote from BITOG:
Hi,

This is our newest and highest quality product. The website will be updated by the middle of March to reflect the new addition. We do not currently have the PDS or SDS, but they will be added around the same time that the product officially launches in March. This product will be guaranteed for 20,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. It will not replace the Mobil 1 Extended Performance, rather it will be an addition to the Mobil 1 Line. The target market for this oil is people that are out of manufacture warranty and are not required to change their oil at a mandated interval. If you are still under warranty, you will still be required to change your oil at the intervals specified by your manufacture. This does not mean that you can not use the oil, it just means that you will have to comply with your required interval changes.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
Jake Ackerman
Mobil Help Desk Team
If I can help further with this inquiry or with any other questions, please respond to this email or phone us 1-800-ASK-Mobil

Attachments

• IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nothing wrong with any of the choices above gentleman !

I for one would not let the dealer convince you into their " free" oil changes or their barging oil change program .... never know what kinda crap they might be pumping in from a 500 gal tank that's been sitting for who knows how long , or may have been mixed with what ever over the years .
Some dealers still pour in from qts or gal jugs , imo that would probably be fine .

i change my own oil, so i won't be buying any oil deals at the dealer. tks though.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Absolutely true royal purple removed moly in their OTC stuff, independent PQIA proved with VOA and many other uoa's as well- HERE. Apparently, it is hit or miss whether it has moly, the only way to tell is to do a uoa yourself. Or, what I would do if I wanted to run RP is run their HPS oil. I don't believe viscosity has much to do with hemi tick, while running 5w30 will undoubtedly make an engine sound smoother, you need elemental support above all else to address tick. I solved my hemi tick with 5w20 for years before moving over to 5w30, I hear no difference. Lifter tick creates pressures at contact that will cut right through any viscosity IMO, you need to smooth it out with high zinc and plate it with high organic moly, anything else like esters would just be a bonus. So I really just wrote this because you asked about moly and the conversation about tick came up, bottom line if it is currently working for you, don't mess with it.

any idea what the synerlic additive in RP is ? tks

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Has anybody run this Castrol oil?
6125234fd14be08777ad8daf23992a79.jpg
I've been running the High Mileage for a good while and I went to get oil last night and saw this on the shelf now so I picked it up and I'm gonna throw it in at lunch time. Wanted to see if anyone has experience with it? Say's it supposed to knock out the marring up of cylinder walls.

Last edited: