Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When it comes to oil....burla is the guy.....I'm just stuck in trying to find the good stuff around my area in south jersey is the problem. I have no problems with royal purple..but if I'm keeping my truck awhile..I Want the best...so it looks like I will have to get it shipped to me. Any good deals on the net I should be awhere of?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've recently changed my oil with Valvoline Syn Power 5-20 with a K&N filter and have notice a difference in that the valve tick is gone . I usually use Valvoline or Castrol but always used Fram TG filter or their ultra filter ... I thinking filter was the difference , Can this be the case ????

Yup proven time and time again it seems that the Valv Syn is very good for run of the mill stuff that can be had by anyone for decent price. I honestly use it almost all the time now just because I have had good luck and it is easy to get without much planning.

$miley

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was posting over in the 3rd and 4th gen forums and was told to check out his thread and I'm glad I did. After reading (and I don't mean to hijack) but I have ram M1 5/30 since break in in my 05 ram 5.7 non mds and am thinking of switching up to either royal purple 5/30 (I don't see that they have a 0/30, I could be wrong) or Amsoil SS 5/30 or 0/30. I can get both locally. So witch to go with? Thanks in advance and again sorry to jump in

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Amsoil SS is a great oil, top shelf. Recently RP took the Moly out, very disappointing.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well that makes that ease doesn't it. How much better is the redline than the Amsoil SS. and what filter to go with. Mobil one, Amsoil, wix, or is there better?

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just bought 8 qts of Redline and RP filter for $110 shipped from Amazon

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just bought 8 qts of Redline and RP filter for $110 shipped from Amazon

Man that is steep, but it is good stuff. Let me know if you notice a difference about a week or so after you use it when the Moly starts seeping in My Hemi is so smooth it doesn't sound like a Hemi.

Well that makes that ease doesn't it. How much better is the redline than the Amsoil SS. and what filter to go with. Mobil one, Amsoil, wix, or is there better?

I'm not a filter expert, but I do like how Royal Purple filters are made. I would look for synthetic filter. Redline and Amsoil are very close, I say Redline because of Moly content and ester base even though Amsoil has a better additive package (TBN), but can't go wrong either way.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Man that is steep, but it is good stuff. Let me know if you notice a difference about a week or so after you use it when the Moly starts seeping in My Hemi is so smooth it doesn't sound like a Hemi.

I'm not a filter expert, but I do like how Royal Purple filters are made. I would look for synthetic filter. Redline and Amsoil are very close, I say Redline because of Moly content and ester base even though Amsoil has a better additive package (TBN), but can't go wrong either way.

I have no idea what ester is but I know that the M1 0/40 I run in my sled has it and I was told by yamaha to only run an oil with it. I like the idea of the RL making the motor run more quite. To me the quieter the motor he less friction I would think. These are the things I get my self into to give me a headache. You are right on about the marketing for RL this is the first I've heard of it. This may be a stupid question and have no relevance on the ram but How is the oil consumption with the RL? I have 0 with M1 in my truck at 3000 miles and in my pos work car I use 1 quart of M1 but 2quarts of Amsoil for 3000 miles so I switched back. It is a 2000 neon with 189000 on it though

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have had zero usage, I actually put too much in because I have something going on with my dip stick. It still is above the fill line with nearing 4k miles on the change. I'm going to be sampling soon to see how oil is holding up. Maybe early next year. Oil usage is usually an engine issue as opposed to being oil related, but since Redline's noack and ester base is so stable, it is even less likely to have any evaporation.

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Its a lot but since I wont have to change the oil that often its fine by me. I will let you know.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just spent some time over on the snowmobile forum and found a lot of guys running redline. I think I might order some up, know of a good place to order it? Also you seen to have a lot of knowledge on oils (a lot more than me). Being that RL is a group V I think you said and M1 is a group III. would you happen to know if the M1 European formula with ester 0/40 is a group III or IV or V? And thanks ago in for your and everybody's help and knowledge on this? I home my questions are helping out someone else as well.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
redline dealer locator

America is shady when it comes to synthetic oil. Because America allows group 3's to be labeled synthetic, many companies take advantage of this and use group 3 and call it synthetic. European rules are different, so I wouldn't doubt M1 over there is either group 4 or 5. You need to research more if you are thinking about foreign oil. There is no petroleum in Redline, literally every thing you buy off the shelf has a petroleum base. Having said that, it still mixes well with petroleum. I actually think guys who run a different oil will substantially improve their lubrication if they even only added one qrt of Redline to their favorite oil.

Check out the Harley forums, Redline freaks over there especially their gear oil.

Actually, if you find that Euro Mobil 1 for sale here, let me know, that would be another good option.

Last edited:

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is something I can just switch to and not have to do another lof early on as if to "clean" the motor of the old oil?

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Actually, if you find that Euro Mobil 1 for sale here, let me know, that would be another good option.[/QUOTE]

I have found it at advance auto but not much of it. I only need 3.5 quarts of it once a year and that's about all they have. I think it only comes in 0/40 but that's what I needed so I didn't look any further. I will have to look at the bottle more closely but I know it says ester on it, I just forgot how it was worded.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Quick update. The M1 O-40 European does not say ester. It's the yamalube that says with ester. Sorry for the miss information.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
My local Car Quest sells RedLine for 9.50 a quart. Check out a Car Quest if ya have one in your area.

2fas4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the Synpower, have used Mobile 1 in the past on many of my vehicles that topped 250,000+ with no issues.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just ordered some redline 0-30 for the ram and 0-40 for the sled. Dave at redline recommended a Wix filter. Anyone have thoughts on those? I've heard they are good. I will also be sending out the Mobil 1 that's in the truck for a UOA and post it here for reference.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have always been a fan of wix filiters, the drain back valve seems to actually work on most that I've used. I can't remember their premium line name but those are the ones I've used in the past when changing my own oil.

Hemiram94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My oil life indicator in my new '13 ram shows half life left and I have 3500 miles... Do you guys trust those things or would your stick with every 3000 mile oil changes?

My '13 hemi is set the same way. It's set to run about 8k miles. I change mine every 5k running synthetic.