Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
RodRam
Recently disassembled a Fram Ultra XG10060.
This filter does incorporate a compression coiled spring for the relief valve.
The compression spring is located under the nylon plunger.
The coil spring and plunger are supported by a leaf spring.
The purpose of the pre stressed leaf spring is to function as an anti rattle device to keep the filter media positioned in the can and not the relief valve spring.
To my knowledge all oil filters with an internal relief valve incorporate a compression coiled spring.

Wasn't me, only filter I took apart was a royal purple 10-48 , as to coil springs in oil filters the bypass system of most all have the small internal coil inside the stamped steel spring, the other type uses a larger stronger coil spring. Both types also hold pressure on the internal components including the anti drain back gasket to keep everything in place. the fram and all others in the video I posted have stamped steel anti drain back springs except for wix xp and the KN. These have the bigger coil springs. Both types of filters work fine I and most people that understand the mechanics of oil filters prefer the coil spring setup like in wix xp over the cheaper stamped steel.

Last edited:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Higher oil pressure could be from restricted flow in the engine or going thru a restrictive filter but you really cant compare readings on these trucks some are alike and others not, my truck never reads below 122 oil temp when cold but other guys here of the ones that posted all had different cold readings. several guys have op in the 40's most have in the mid 30's its more than likely from either different sensors for different years or some other anomaly as long as its above 20 I wouldn't worry.

True and I agree with you. I just find it odd to be that high while others are in the 30s. If it is truly that high, that just means the Oil Pump is working that much harder for no reason. I'm changing to a Wix filter to see if it makes a difference, but my guess it does not.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
True and I agree with you. I just find it odd to be that high while others are in the 30s. If it is truly that high, that just means the Oil Pump is working that much harder for no reason. I'm changing to a Wix filter to see if it makes a difference, but my guess it does not.
I just went from the RP 10-48 to the Wix XP ,and had ZERO change in oil pressures at any parameter.
I personally wouldn't do it , the RP filter is a Great filter as is the WIX XP , it's only $10 to change but I just did this for you , as RodRam eluded to the sensors in these trucks just arn't consistent from one 5.7 to another , you are fine with your set Sir imo .

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
The anti back drain valve is nothing more than a rubber flapper valve at the base of the oil filter, similar to the flapper valve in your toilet.
The high end flapper valves are red silicone rubber, lower end flapper valves are black nitrile rubber.
The silicone rubber is more compliant and flexible at lower temperatures.
I have disassembled a Wix XP and there is only one compression spring and it is used for the so called bypass pressure relief valve.
To my knowledge there are only two oil filters on the market that incorporate the bypass pressure relief valve spring located in the threaded base end, Mopar & Motorcraft, all others have gone to the dome end relief valve because the base end type is more costly.
The theory is the dome type relief valve would allow filtered particles on the up stream side of the filter media to enter the engine upon relief actuation while the base type relief valves does not allow filtered particles to enter the engine upon relief valve activation

Last edited:

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The anti back drain valve is nothing more than a rubber flapper valve at the base of the oil filter, similar to the flapper valve in your toilet.
The high end flapper valves are red silicone rubber, lower end flapper valves are black nitrile rubber.
The silicone rubber is more compliant and flexible at lower temperatures.
I have disassembled a Wix XP and there is only one compression spring and it is used for the so called bypass pressure relief valve.
To my knowledge there are only two oil filters on the market that incorporate the bypass pressure relief valve spring located in the threaded base end, Mopar & Motorcraft, all others have gone to the dome end relief valve because the base end type is more costly.
The theory is the dome type relief valve would allow filtered particles on the up stream side of the filter media to enter the engine upon relief actuation while the base type relief valves does not allow filtered particles to enter the engine upon relief valve activation
I wasn't clear in what I meant so I will reiterate, most oil filters uses two types of spring setups in the by pass system, a small coil inside a plastic housing of the flat stamped steel being the most common, the other being a larger stronger coil spring. both types of these also add tension to the whole assembly including the anti drain back gasket to keep everything in place. IMO and many others the coil spring design like in the wix xp is better than ones using the stamped steel spring. here since you missed it is the video of the top tier filters taken apart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx-NT1DEtlU

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I wasn't clear in what I meant so I will reiterate, most oil filters uses two types of spring setups in the by pass system, a small coil inside a plastic housing of the flat stamped steel being the most common, the other being a larger stronger coil spring. both types of these also add tension to the whole assembly including the anti drain back gasket to keep everything in place. IMO and many others the coil spring design like in the wix xp is better than ones using the stamped steel spring. here since you missed it is the video of the top tier filters taken apart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx-NT1DEtlU
The Amsoil filter used on the hemis (Ea15k50) uses a coil spring. How about the rp? Just wondering if they are as close to the same on this application as the ones in the video review.uploadfromtaptalk1466211559832.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The Amsoil filter used on the hemis (Ea15k50) uses a coil spring. How about the rp? Just wondering if they are as close to the same on this application as the ones in the video review.View attachment 73022

If you go back to page 373 i think you will see a RP 10-48 i cut apart to show RLK it has the stamped steel spring, it and the amsoil are the same filter made by the same company.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If you go back to page 373 i think you will see a RP 10-48 i cut apart to show RLK it has the stamped steel spring, it and the amsoil are the same filter made by the same company.
If you look at the pic i posted, you will see that they are not the same in this application. The Amsoil uses a coil spring but the RP uses a stamped steel spring.

Im thinking about buying a bunch of high end filters that are Hemi-centric and cutting them all open for an apples-to-apples, side-by-side comprehensive comparison on our application to put the filter subject to bed. What brands would everyone like to see? Im only going to do this once and I'm only going to buy the top of the line filter that each manufacturer sells. I know some of these have been done before, but Amsoil, RP, Hastings, Wix XP, Mann, and Donaldson are my choices. Feel free to chime in with yours.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all ,

Our trucks are diff , the limitations are diff , the sensors are diff .AND each 5.7 L is different. . ; therefore , our psig # will be different even if we are running the same filter , oil type and weight ....

With that said : IF YOU ARE WITHIN 8-10 PSIG , of someone else running a like product. Then you SIR are GOOD !

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
R.L.K-->Just had this filter sent to me. Really has me curious! Though I know the Fram Ultra can take my 5.7L well beyond the 300K mile mark. I just looked back at messages from MotorKing within BITOG and he has quoted the Ultra 80% Efficiency @ 5 Microns as well as 99% Efficiency @ 20 Microns. I am happy with my choice.

The only thing is the MG Filter does not advertise any Efficiency Numbers and without those the filter might as well just sit on the shelf.

Take a look when you have time! I am curious what YOU think.

microGreen Spin-On Oil Filter - microGreen Oil Filters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9GfIqksXPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOnerEiP1ks

Attachments

• IMG_20160530_103400932_HDR_zpsyjjrf3xz.jpg
    IMG_20160530_103400932_HDR_zpsyjjrf3xz.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20160530_103502202_zpsnutctd6e.jpg
    IMG_20160530_103502202_zpsnutctd6e.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20160530_103528554_zpsfqqogf6y.jpg
    IMG_20160530_103528554_zpsfqqogf6y.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20160530_105229111_zpsrikcdazw.jpg
    IMG_20160530_105229111_zpsrikcdazw.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20160530_105622784_zpsvsntox0c.jpg
    IMG_20160530_105622784_zpsvsntox0c.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Waiting & Watching

Hoping this positive trend continues!

Attachments

• POT.jpg
    POT.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 97

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
R.L.K-->Just had this filter sent to me. Really has me curious! Though I know the Fram Ultra can take my 5.7L well beyond the 300K mile mark. The only thing is the MG Filter does not advertise any Efficiency Numbers and without those the filter might as well just sit on the shelf.

Holy coil spring

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Bought a new Wix XP 57060XP tonight at O'Rilley & cut it open with the band saw.
Now, Understand the two coil spring thing.
The bypass relief valve is composed of a part similar to a sewing thimble, plunger of hard unknown material and a steel coiled compression spring.
The thimble is spot welded to the top metal filter end cap with the plunger & spring imbedded. All three parts are not removable.
Here are my comments
1. The new filter was different the Wix XP in the U-Tube video.
2. There are four parts sandwiched between the steel threaded perforated round plate & the top of the metal can
A. Anti back flow rubber flapper
B. Spool that loose fits between the flapper and pleated filter media
C. Filter media with two metal end caps
D. Coiled compression spring
The compression spring preloads the four parts above.
However, there is nothing to keep the coiled preload spring centered.
The recessed formed top cap is much larger than the coiled spring diameter.
The bottom filter cap now has formed ribs to reinforce the round annular plate subjected to oil pump pressure.
The cap in the video was void of the sheet metal formed reinforcing ribs.
When the spool is placed in the reinforced plate there are six gaps between the spool lip and the six recessed ribs which allow the oil to bypass the filter media.
What's up with that?
However, the top side of the rubber flapper actually incorporates molded into the rubber small reinforcing ribs in a radial direction.
This feature is a a refinement over all the other filters. The ribs give the flapper extra rigidity to flexing and provides extra seating force.
The preload spring seals the inner diameter of the rubber flapper to the threaded base plate, so it does not leak.

Comparing to the Fram XG 10060
weight ,new, not exposed to oil
Wix XP= 274 grams
Fram XG = 289 grams

Wix has more flow area through the inner round steel core the Fram
Fram uses a sheet metal leaf spring to preload the rubber flapper between the bottom steel plate and the filter media metal end cap,
which is centered in the can.
The Fram bypass relief valve plunger and compression spring are easy to remove from the assembly.
Fram has more flow area on the upstream side of the filter media as relected by larger hole sizes in the threaded plate even both filters have eight openings.

Rodram
now I understand why you indicated two coiled springs for the WIx and K&N.

Overall would vote for the Fram over the WIx.

The Fram in the U-Tube video is not the current design.
Currently Fram XG has two different types of filter media materials, not just one material type.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
R.L.K-->Just had this filter sent to me. Really has me curious! Though I know the Fram Ultra can take my 5.7L well beyond the 300K mile mark. The only thing is the MG Filter does not advertise any Efficiency Numbers and without those the filter might as well just sit on the shelf.

Wow ! Great video , 2 micron .
2 filters in one , looks good . Hope someone tries one and post up.som results !

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you look at the pic i posted, you will see that they are not the same in this application. The Amsoil uses a coil spring but the RP uses a stamped steel spring.

Im thinking about buying a bunch of high end filters that are Hemi-centric and cutting them all open for an apples-to-apples, side-by-side comprehensive comparison on our application to put the filter subject to bed. What brands would everyone like to see? Im only going to do this once and I'm only going to buy the top of the line filter that each manufacturer sells. I know some of these have been done before, but Amsoil, RP, Hastings, Wix XP, Mann, and Donaldson are my choices. Feel free to chime in with yours.

Add Fram Ultra to that list.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Found this interesting, If you scroll to the oil pressure digital / Graph screen .
Even on a cold oil first start of the day (my norm is 56-58 psig )
6da8c4f83f333616d61e2211a909f4a0.jpg

Looks like 60 psi is the mid range of the graph ....for what it's worth .

Oh and @ Syn , BBB & BlueRT
This beers fo you sirs , glad to see Y'all here again !

785f26e79c21bd9da226171a21933ab4.jpg

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
It seems Champion Labs has a major sister company UCI which both companies were in the News just not to long ago. Seems these companies have done some major restructuring.

UCI International files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Here are other comments about this subject:
So, if I understand you have one big holding company called Rank Group which is an international investing company. Within the Rank group you have other affiliates. One of these is Autoparts Holdings Ltd which owns Fram. The other is UCI Holdings Limited and its subsidiary UCI International which owns Champ.

Within these affiliates there are cost sharing and manufacturing arrangements.

MotorKing: who has given me all my info on the Fram Ultra in the past had this to share--->Here is the scoop. FRAM and Champion are no longer married for lack of a better term.
Champion Labs is part of UCI Inc, that includes Airtex, ASC water pumps and formerly, Wells Vehicle Electronics. FRAM, Autolite and Prestone are part of a company called auto parts holdings (Prestone has since been sold). UCI Fram no longer exists. FRAM and Autolite are very healthy and will operate alone. FRAM and Champ will continue to have a cooperative agreement to supply each other as needed. I am staying with FRAM and Autolite as Technical Director. "WIX contract with WM is for the Super Tech part numbers only."

This is good news for Us whom use the Ultra since the Ultra will Still be made by Champion labs for Fram.

I wanted to post this for the reason of other members might have caught wind of this and started posting {This is the down fall of the Ultra}. When it is the farthest from the truth.

It will be interesting to see if this is the end of it or only the beginning for Champion Labs. { I hope it is the end of it}! Champion makes many of the High End Filters!

RLK: I not here to argue or try to prove my intelligence. I have already proved I am in the same class as the special needs group. I am only here too share some factual Info & share my personal experiences. No Advice or Recommendations will be Given.

Burla: I did notice your OCI Thread has already gone to Chit! LoL!

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very interesting , info there my friend !

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I thought Fram was Honeywell brand?

I read a little further to find.

The FRAM Corporation was bought by the Bendix Corporation in 1967. Then FRAM was part of Honeywell's "Consumer Products Group" (CPG) until 2011. The brand is now owned by Rank Group.[1]

Good call man.