Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 995 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds real good, and I have only heard of it here in discussion, no actual reviews. I'd try that for sure. I would like to know moly count, but it seams like most poe/pao oils tend to favor moly, so chances are it is good moly.
I have asked Penrite how much Moly is in it. I can buy 20L drums for $AUS271 delivered which is about $US190.

Maniac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what is the oil of choice these days? Someone needs to update the poll. Is it penzoil up? Mobil 1? RL? What about amsoil?

Has anyone tried Mobil 1 Truck and SUV?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Using a quart of mmo on the oil before and then running 5 30 castrol edge ep and mobil ep filter has kept my hemi relatively quiet all winter for about 4k miles, anyone else try that combo?
No way in he ll would I run a Qt of MMO in the engine, I tried that back in 1995 on a newly remanded 302, short story engine seized with just 100 miles on it.. Once engine was pulled tore down, inspected, oil pump tested to be good, it was determined the fault was from using 1 qt of MMO...

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No way in he ll would I run a Qt of MMO in the engine, I tried that back in 1995 on a newly remanded 302, short story engine seized with just 100 miles on it.. Once engine was pulled tore down, inspected, oil pump tested to be good, it was determined the fault was from using 1 qt of MMO...
Ran it for couple hundred miles to see if it would do anything

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok gang, I aggregated select, published motor oil data from HPL and Red Line individual viscosity grade data sheets. Recall they state these are "typical" properties, without a stated tolerance band (proprietary quality control, undoubetdly).

You'll see some strange non-trends in the data. Sorry the background turned out murky - my png picture file has white background - don't know what the forum software does to it.

My high-level conclusion is that only HPL Super Car motor oil compares to Red Line High Performance Oil. HPL Performance Plus may be "good enough" for Hemi's as well, since all HPL oils are heavily spiked with additives, according to a BITOG report.

Have at it:

View attachment 499347
@knightjp

uoa's bobs show heavy moly average zinc = perfection that that front for hemi.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looking to get HPL 5W40 oil here in Dubai.
They have only the Euro spec 5W40
View attachment 513693
Should I get this? Or should I just go for Redline?

I don't think that's the HPL the rest of us are using.

I got mine here:

Or if you want the "no vii" which is supposed to be even better (no shear down), choose the "euro" spec from the drop down on this page:

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not know the formula for the HPL that you have access to.
When I did a search on google for HPL, I was lead to this site.
This is what we have access to.

I'm not sure which one is the correct one. Why are there so different sites for HPL?
The shop has stock of this..
HPL5w30.png

Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When I did a search on google for HPL, I was lead to this site.
This is what we have access to.

I'm not sure which one is the correct one. Why are there so different sites for HPL?
The shop has stock of this..
View attachment 513708
That is damn good oil. Heres how it works. There is a company called high performance lubricants. They formulate and produce that oil that you linked. That label is owned by precision turbo as well as the name HPL. The oil that @ramffml linked to is also produced by high performance lubricants and its the one were talking about most times when we say HPL. I dont believe you can get that unless it can be shipped from advlubrication.com. Im not sure. Its confusing i know and im going to do my best to refer to the one you linked as HPL and the one from advlubrication as high performance lubricants

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is damn good oil. Heres how it works. There is a company called high performance lubricants. They formulate and produce that oil that you linked. That label is owned by precision turbo as well as the name HPL. The oil that @ramffml linked to is also produced by high performance lubricants and its the one were talking about most times when we say HPL. I dont believe you can get that unless it can be shipped from advlubrication.com. Im not sure. Its confusing i know and im going to do my best to refer to the one you linked as HPL and the one from advlubrication as high performance lubricants
Is there a difference in the formula for both? Pretty sure there is.
If that is the case, how close is the formula of the one I linked to Redline 5w30/40

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is there a difference in the formula for both? Pretty sure there is.
If that is the case, how close is the formula of the one I linked to Redline 5w30/40
Yes there is a difference. The HPL is not a long drain oil its more similar to redline. high Performance Lubricants is a long drain oil.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes there is a difference. The HPL is not a long drain oil its more similar to redline. high Performance Lubricants is a long drain oil.
This is interesting. What is the average oil change cycle for someone who is running HPL / Redline.
I've always run the oil until the truck tells me it is time to change; which is usually around 9,000 - 10,000 kms.
I am currently running Castrol Magnatec Stop and Start and need to change to something with a lot more moly.
@Travis8352 the shop had stock of SAE 15w40. Since my mechanic suggested using a thicker oil, I thought about using that..

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is interesting. What is the average oil change cycle for someone who is running HPL / Redline.
I've always run the oil until the truck tells me it is time to change; which is usually around 9,000 - 10,000 kms.
I am currently running Castrol Magnatec Stop and Start and need to change to something with a lot more moly.
@Travis8352 the shop had stock of SAE 15w40. Since my mechanic suggested using a thicker oil, I thought about using that..

I do about 10 to 12000km which is around 7500 miles. I wouldn't go past that when daily driving, and if towing or engine gets hot a lot I would drop down to 8000km max.

The oil indicator is actually pretty smart in that it knows how the truck is getting used; hours + mileage + rpms + idling etc and takes a really educated guess, but the problem with it is that it favours long oil change intervals. I've found that it's pretty accurate, but I always have to change it when it says (say) 50% or 40% remaining.

HPL and Redline definitely work for longer OCI than most oils and in most engines, but this is the hemi so all that goes out the window if you want best chance to prevent tick. I want to run both the best oil I can find, while doing short-ish intervals.

If money is not an option, your best bet is to go to advlubrication site and order 3 or more oil changes worth of oil in one shot. Hurts the wallet something fierce but saves on shipping and import fees.

I paid $221 USD for 12 quarts shipped (not quite 2 oil changes) + import fees of like $50 CAD. Just wanted to run it once to see what it does and how well I like it. Next purchase I'll do at least 24 and maybe 48 quarts. Bite the bullet once and give me 3 to 4 years worth of oil.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also; a member on bitog used HPL for the first time in his truck and found a decent amount of sludgy material in his filter. He had used all high quality oil before that (Mobil 1 ??), the HPL is exceptional at cleaning too so it cleaned up some carbon/varnish left by the other oil in the past. I'm planning to cut open my filters in the future and keep an eye on what I can find inside, if it gets cleaner (and while keeping an eye on UOA'a as well) in the future I might try pushing my OCI's out a little bit.

But those lifters need to stay clean. Any deposits or a hint of gunk in the needle bearings and unfortunately its game over.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There have been UOAs done on bitog of 26k miles in a pentastar with 5w20. The owner of bitog has done 20k uoas in his duramax with their new ck4 formula and still had a tbn of 9. It is simply the longest drain capable oil out there. Now theres also been uoas done on HPL the one you have access to of 10k and it had a tbn in the 3 range similar to how redline does. Now for redline @Burla has done 2 year ocis and still had a tbn of 3.