Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After doing a little research in my garage :) I found that I have about 6.5 quarts of Rotella Gas/Truck 5W-30. I also have 1 quart of RL 5W-30.

So, it looks like the next oil change may be a mash-up of the two. Helps clear out room for more oil and should make my Hemi happy this winter.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My only worry is that its a bit "heavy", even heavier than RedLine 5W-30, though Im not sure how much it shears down to something ligther.
This is after using Mobil1 FS 0W40 for the second consecutive oil change.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking of running Liquimoly engine oil in my 5.7 V8 Hemi. I wanted to know which is better..

Liquimoly Molygen 5w30.jpg vs Liquimoly Special Tec AA 5w30.jpg

Has anyone run these on their Hemi engines? Whats the uoa or voa like?
How good are they compared to Mobil1 Fully Synthetic?
I'm know that Liquimoly doesn't have any more moly than other oil brands, but I would like to know.
I've been told that we should not use Liquimoly Ceratec or MoS2 with Molygen. If that is true, what would be the reason.
Also any info on MoS2 vs Lubegard Biotech? Are they similar products? Which one would be better?

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have limited access to an FTIR and was able to compile some scans. Hope to do some more but the management gets their undies bunched up as we have to follow gubment alphabet agency regulations, at any rate....

I am not an expert on interpreting FTIR, just know enough to get in trouble. The full scan has a nice triple hydrocarbon peak in the beginning which isn't very exciting. The area of interest is around wavelength 1750, these are where ester peaks live. Quite interesting to see PUP and Mobil 1 with just a teeny blip for esters

Full Scan
Oil_Full Scan resized.jpg

Ester Peaks
Oil_Ester Peak resized.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So second one is just magnified? Really interesting to me the blue lines that showed lubegard on top of the line, then L+pup, then ravenol- 1200 point from bottom. Do you know what that element is? Thanks for posting, gotta love it getting back to some science over here.

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Second is magnified, got rid of the triple hydrocarbon peak as that was present in all samples. FTIR cant see elements but rather molecules and the bonds between them

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have limited access to an FTIR and was able to compile some scans. Hope to do some more but the management gets their undies bunched up as we have to follow gubment alphabet agency regulations, at any rate....

I am not an expert on interpreting FTIR, just know enough to get in trouble. The full scan has a nice triple hydrocarbon peak in the beginning which isn't very exciting. The area of interest is around wavelength 1750, these are where ester peaks live. Quite interesting to see PUP and Mobil 1 with just a teeny blip for esters

Full Scan
View attachment 529054

Ester Peaks
View attachment 529055
Is this the SP mobil 1 0w40?

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Unfortunately I do not. I have a oil burning Kia so I'll try to grab a quart of SP M1. What should I look for on the bottle?
If it says SN on the API donut check the 4 digit revision number on the back label. If it says 6748 or 6748c on the back then its api SP in the old labeled jugs

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok gotcha, API. Flaked on that one, I was thinking marketing designation like EP Extended Performance. I do have some SP 5w 30 High Mileage, but will be a week or so before access to the machine. Should be able to find some 0w 40 by then as well

Attachments

• 20230927_130640.jpg
    20230927_130640.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 3

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Second is magnified, got rid of the triple hydrocarbon peak as that was present in all samples. FTIR cant see elements but rather molecules and the bonds between them
So we discussed many times branch chain lubrication, which is bonds, I find it very interesting lubehard has something with a bond reading about everything else. I think you have an opportunity to solve the "why" if you could get more time and test more products such as redline 5w30. Can you tell us what the lower value I guess the power of the wavelength is? So there are peaks on both sides of the peak I was most interested in, does that mean those bonds broke at left value (whatever the left side represents) at wavelength bottom value? Is there any guess why or what that peak in the middle means, can you add anything. I really appreciate you man.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I now see there are two peaks with the same products at the 1200 and at the 1800, and these are over the two shelf oils. Yes ravenol is a shelf product as well but isnt on the peaks and they are known for some pretty stout oils with additives and pao. If you tested redline and it had peaks with lubegard and other oils didnt, you would have solved a 14 year old question to why these are killing ticks, or at least make it very likely the answer we have been searching for. Travis is on to something with his questions, as old m1 didnt have high moly? Or pao in sds? We know for a fast moly is bonded with sulfur, so it is branched chain lubrication of some sort.

That might be the best post of this thread if we can find those answers.

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So we discussed many times branch chain lubrication, which is bonds, I find it very interesting lubehard has something with a bond reading about everything else. I think you have an opportunity to solve the "why" if you could get more time and test more products such as redline 5w30. Can you tell us what the lower value I guess the power of the wavelength is? So there are peaks on both sides of the peak I was most interested in, does that mean those bonds broke at left value (whatever the left side represents) at wavelength bottom value? Is there any guess why or what that peak in the middle means, can you add anything. I really appreciate you man.
I only have basic interpretation of the FTIR results based off what I Googled. What I can add is the big peak of Lubegard at 1750 gives us a baseline for "concentrated" ester additive. I added one bottle of that to 7 quarts of PUP 5w 20 and we can see the reduced size of the peak. Whether that is a linear thing I have no clue. It will take some time but I can scan some Redline 5w 30

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I now see there are two peaks with the same products at the 1200 and at the 1800, and these are over the two shelf oils. Yes ravenol is a shelf product as well but isnt on the peaks and they are known for some pretty stout oils with additives and pao. If you tested redline and it had peaks with lubegard and other oils didnt, you would have solved a 14 year old question to why these are killing ticks, or at least make it very likely the answer we have been searching for. Travis is on to something with his questions, as old m1 didnt have high moly? Or pao in sds? We know for a fast moly is bonded with sulfur, so it is branched chain lubrication of some sort.

That might be the best post of this thread if we can find those answers.
Ravenol is there, it's the faint light blue line. Hard to see but just tops out above the Lubegard-PUP mixture

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I only have basic interpretation of the FTIR results based off what I Googled. What I can add is the big peak of Lubegard at 1750 gives us a baseline for "concentrated" ester additive. I added one bottle of that to 7 quarts of PUP 5w 20 and we can see the reduced size of the peak. Whether that is a linear thing I have no clue. It will take some time but I can scan some Redline 5w 30
how can you tell that is ester? Is that something known?

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes it is. The attached wiki chart lists C=O bonds at absorption peaks between 1800-1500. Esters specifically mentioned at 1735. The Sigma Aldrich chart gets pretty deep

awesome, very cool, thanks

Esters can be around the 1200 and the 1800 (1735), so can be possible for both peaks. However, what is the ester bond, do you know?