Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
HPL is like Mobil gone rogue. Ex-corporate tribology experts.
I like those guys. They're like Red Line before being bought up.

That all PAO low wear UOA is something. For normal engines. *sigh* Boundary / no lubrication engine components are a totally different affair.
Hence the Jesus Juice.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Week in review, hemi tick really doesnt kinda exist, HPL is jesus juice and a great company we all can agree, redline is an evil price gouging corporation, and most of us still run it.

That was kinda funny lol.

With hemi tick, I was trying to say that many can be reporting success with Redline after trying it and noticing their engine quiets down. But what noise did they quiet? Was it truly a lifter banging away that is not banging anymore, or was it just the valve train in general? A number of oils can help quiet the natural sounds of the hemi. How do we reconcile the reports of guys using valvoline 5w-30 and saying "I got rid of my tick"? Is that a different tick than the guys who fixed theirs running RL? Because those stories are out there as well. Did everyone who tried RL 5w-30 and have success, try multiple other oils without success? I'm not denigrating the experiment or reports in the slightest, nor am I suggesting that RL doesn't quiet the engine down, just saying there is room for a lot of error and interpretation/conclusions in how this was all collected and I just think we need to be aware of that. Ask anyone in statistics, in general, user/self reporting has almost zero credibility.

But that said, I will say I heard hemi395's video comparisons on bitog years ago comparing RL vs Amsoil (I forget the exact weights) and will freely admit the RL making a difference, no contest whatsoever. The guys on bitog arguing against it don't make any sense there. So it would be interesting if his truck sounds different on HPL as well.

But I'm not going to choose my oil based on how his truck sounds, when mine might tell a different story, or if mine never ticked, or etc etc. I know for certain my engine sounds amazing on this oil, and I finally almost completely removed that cold start knock. Combine how it sounds, with the excellent UOA's, and the specs on the oil itself, how the bitog experts talk about it - that's how I'm getting to my decision on what to run.

As for my love affair with HPL, this video popped up on bitog earlier this month, LakespeedJr tests various oils at the HPL lab, including HPL's gear oil. Apparently the D892 standard allows up to 50 ml of foam, but HPL's standard for all their oils is 0 ml of foam.

Just another reason to love them.

As a final thought, all my posts on this today/yesterday were "triggered" by your comment about HPL being too pricey. I went down the rabbit hole, but basically my view is that HPL is an incredibly premium oil with 0 flaws and worth spending the money on. If someone is running RL with excellent results, I would never suggest changing though, especially if the oil interval is 5000 miles. Part of the value of running HPL is its really long legs (so that should be remembered too when comparing cost of quart vs quart too), I'm kind of throwing away my money at 7500 miles when there is so much life left in the oil yet but I'm not taking chances with a hemi.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Lol, ... maybe this feller discovered the easiest way of changing the oil and filter on my RAM truck ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 18

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been thinking about this, what in my motor or @Burla for that matter is tapping or ticking that RL oil is quieting? I mean my truck 96k on it now and this all started in 2013 shortly after buying the truck.

Basically I know what it's not...

It can't be roller bearings that are completely gone, thats way too much lash for oil to quiet.

Completely seized rollers from what I've seen on several videos make a squeeling/squeaking noise along with a metallic tap.

Maybe a partially seized roller that RL gets rolling again?

I'm literally at a loss of what is getting lubricated and therefore quieted...

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
HPL is like Mobil gone rogue. Ex-corporate tribology experts.
I like those guys. They're like Red Line before being bought up.

That all PAO low wear UOA is something. For normal engines. *sigh* Boundary / no lubrication engine components are a totally different affair.
Hence the Jesus Juice.

Heres a good post about how P66 is with redline. This guy owns one if the largest oil distributers in the nation. Im not sure which company but hes based in ohio. Hes about the best insider ive talked to and he deals directly with P66, chevron, and redline

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Heres a good post about how P66 is with redline. This guy owns one if the largest oil distributers in the nation. Im not sure which company but hes based in ohio. Hes about the best insider ive talked to and he deals directly with P66, chevron, and redline
The guy who said 66 is hands off? Well, considering the development of their over priced shelf quality professional series I'm not sure I believe that. Plus, what they did with 0w30 formula reaks of corporate kissing on epa ass. I have no knowledge on it, but fishy stuff right there.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The guy who said 66 is hands off? Well, considering the development of their over priced shelf quality professional series I'm not sure I believe that. Plus, what they did with 0w30 formula reaks of corporate kissing on epa ass. I have no knowledge on it, but fishy stuff right there.
He said all P66 did when they bought redline is put redline stickers on kendall oil for the professional series and that everything else has remained redline. None of the formulas were changed by P66 including the 0w20 Nd 0w30 those were all redline changes. Hes also said that some of his friends from P66 actually went and worked for redline but that many of the longtime redline chemists are there still out of passion for the product. Also what redline did gain in the acquisition was access to P66s R&D but that they are completely seperate from any base oil or additive contracts that P66 has with other companies. He also said redline formulates some niche products for P66s industrial side

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Would you be worried about rust if you ingested it or stepped on a rusty nail? Did your parents rush you to a hospital when you stepped on an old nail to get a tetanus shot?

New info seams to suggest rust isnt bad for you, no risk of tetanus in rust, you have more risk with broken skin coming in contact with soil then stepping on a rusty nail. Truth? What is rust? Iron and oxygen, two things as it turns out the human body needs. What say you?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Would you be worried about rust if you ingested it or stepped on a rusty nail? Did your parents rush you to a hospital when you stepped on an old nail to get a tetanus shot?

New info seams to suggest rust isnt bad for you, no risk of tetanus in rust, you have more risk with broken skin coming in contact with soil then stepping on a rusty nail. Truth? What is rust? Iron and oxygen, two things as it turns out the human body needs. What say you?
I never got lockjaw ;-)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I never got lockjaw ;-)
lock jaw

Another real interesting thought, since iron is notoriously hard to digest, "might" rust due to the fact it is oxidized be easier for the body to assimilate? Can I add something to this week in review?

Rust = the new health beneficial additive?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Didnt that diesel have a vin number?

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Hemi395 - I don't believe I ever asked. What caused the Hemi tick for you? Were you running the normal 5w20 like I did? And at what mileage did the tick start?
Ever used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 in your testing?
Just found a local dealer that sells Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40. Shouldn't be surprised considering the number of Hellcats we have here in Dubai. The price is just about the same as RL. I guessing that it should be a good choice for when the local RL dealer is out of stock. But that all depends on whether anyone had tried it or not.
What I don't want is for it to tick at initial start up after the oil change like M1 FS 0W40 did. That scares me and makes me think that I'm hurting the newly replaced lifters.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Hemi395 - I don't believe I ever asked. What caused the Hemi tick for you? Were you running the normal 5w20 like I did? And at what mileage did the tick start?
Ever used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 in your testing?
Just found a local dealer that sells Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40. Shouldn't be surprised considering the number of Hellcats we have here in Dubai. The price is just about the same as RL. I guessing that it should be a good choice for when the local RL dealer is out of stock. But that all depends on whether anyone had tried it or not.
What I don't want is for it to tick at initial start up after the oil change like M1 FS 0W40 did. That scares me and makes me think that I'm hurting the newly replaced lifters.
I made a post of all my oil changes that led up to me using RL in this thread years ago, but it's burried in this long thread. I have the link saved on my PC so I'll post it when I get home.

Long story short, I used PP 5w20 and it started ticking. After the dealer dismissed it as "normal" I found this thread and tried RL. I also did try the PUP 0w40 but not straight, I had mixed it with PUP 5w30. I think i made it to around 2000 miles before the tick started to come back. I know some people have had good luck with it in their 5.7s tho...

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I made a post of all my oil changes that led up to me using RL in this thread years ago, but it's burried in this long thread. I have the link saved on my PC so I'll post it when I get home.

Long story short, I used PP 5w20 and it started ticking. After the dealer dismissed it as "normal" I found this thread and tried RL. I also did try the PUP 0w40 but not straight, I had mixed it with PUP 5w30. I think i made it to around 2000 miles before the tick started to come back. I know some people have had good luck with it in their 5.7s tho...
One day youl have to try HPL supercar 0w30! Your truck is the official ramforum test truck lol