Tailgate LED Light Bars...do the mess with towing package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RocketFoot

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, all you would have to do is hook up the white wire from the LED light bar into the 5 plug spot for reverse.
Sweet! What is the best way to hook up the white wire from the LED bar to the 5th pin? Some kind of crimp on bullet terminal or just splice into the T-Harness?

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased the Putco Redblade tailgate lightbar, which came with a flat, four pin connector and a loose wire for tapping reverse lights.

I cut off the 4pin connector re-wrapped the harness to include the reverse wire and soldered a flat, 5 pin connector to the "new" tailgate led harness.

I used the Curt 5pin trailer t-harness and plugged everything together.

74EFD5AA-1E77-4AC9-89A7-83B04974EE43.jpeg FB072C19-2118-4E5A-A9FA-3C5005FF0678.jpeg

dc73pdsgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L e-torque
according to what I was told by OPT7 if you have any type of backup sensors then you can't use the trailer harness to plug in the light bar and have to hard wire the lights bar to the rear lights, brake lights and reverse lights. I tried the plug in way and it deactivated my reverse sensors with a warning on the dash and yes I did try one of the modules to allow it to work and ended up sending it back to OPT7. hardwiring it into the rear lights resulted in no problems with the back up sensors. only issue I had is my truck has a wiring harness that goes from the bottom of the bed up into the tailgate that must be for the camera and is in the way of mounting the light bar. ended up just forgetting about the whole thing, undid the wiring and returned the unit to OPT7

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
according to what I was told by OPT7 if you have any type of backup sensors then you can't use the trailer harness to plug in the light bar and have to hard wire the lights bar to the rear lights, brake lights and reverse lights. I tried the plug in way and it deactivated my reverse sensors with a warning on the dash and yes I did try one of the modules to allow it to work and ended up sending it back to OPT7. hardwiring it into the rear lights resulted in no problems with the back up sensors. only issue I had is my truck has a wiring harness that goes from the bottom of the bed up into the tailgate that must be for the camera and is in the way of mounting the light bar. ended up just forgetting about the whole thing, undid the wiring and returned the unit to OPT7

Wow, things really changed from 17 to 19!
I have had my opt-7 for 2 years now, bighorn with sensors and backup camera. Fits fine accept for spare tire access hole grommet.
Sorry to hear it wont work well for your 19

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is a post on here somewhere where a guy used heavy duty magnets to hold the light bar on. That way if he needed to get to his spare, he could just move it.

I have a different type of light bar that was thin enough to put above the access hole.
I have heard using magnets--will look into that on my next one as it does block that spare tire hole. My tailgate light worked great for 3yrs-now some of the leds have gone out-moisture no doubt because leds should last a lot longer. I masked out the leds to atleast make it appear even on both sides.Maybe someone on this site can recommend ones that have been more reliable. The OP question - it will not interfere with your 4 or 7 pin trailing harness if you hardwire with a splitter under the bumper. that way both 4 and 7 pins are usable and the weather caps can still keep water out.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The best is PUTCO BLADE tailgate light bar and they also have a y-connection harness that plugs from behind the bumper to the towing hitch light connection point. No splicing of wires and plug and play. The light bar is very bright and comes with 3 year warranty cant beat it.
thats the one I was thinking of getting-does the connection Y come with or separate order? Thanks

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thats the one I was thinking of getting-does the connection Y come with or separate order? Thanks
separate order,but if your truck is still under warranty, it will be good because you don't cut into any wires on the truck so you will not void the warranty.its all plug and play.

LisaS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am thinking about getting an OPT7 Triple Redline LED bar but I'm not sure if it will mess with my towing package and dash alerts? Being that it is plugged into the trailer harness, I would think it would assume I was towing a trailer? Also, any interference with back up cam?

I have one installed, no issues. Just lined it up a smidge higher to go over the spare tire access area. I still get people asking me where I got this bar. Go for it, good quality !

jagu366

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
I did this same light bar. It's been on the truck for close to 2 years. Attached it with magnets. As you can see, it clears the hole for the spare, no need to cut the grommet. In reverse ut puts out a decent amount of light. I went thru the wires on the back, even though it comes with the plug for the hitch, but I wanted the plug free. So far, no interference with trailer hitch.20191113_061715.jpg 20191113_061722.jpg 20191113_061457.jpg 20191113_061644.jpg 20191113_061457.jpg 20191113_061543.jpg

jagu366

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Won't let me load the video of the turn signal/hazard lights, but they are very visible.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Won't let me load the video of the turn signal/hazard lights, but they are very visible.

I take it that you have the redline opt 7 with sequential turn signals? I'm looking at one of those, never had a light bar back there before but have always loved sequential blinkers, and the extra reverse lights would be nice too.

Did you go with the red or amber for turn signals? On my delmonico red I'm thinking I would go red, but haven't seen too many videos of the red style to see how it looks.

Whats the weather like where you are? Just curious to know how they hold up in wintery/salty conditions.

OP
OP
RocketFoot

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I take it that you have the redline opt 7 with sequential turn signals? I'm looking at one of those, never had a light bar back there before but have always loved sequential blinkers, and the extra reverse lights would be nice too.

Did you go with the red or amber for turn signals? On my delmonico red I'm thinking I would go red, but haven't seen too many videos of the red style to see how it looks.

Whats the weather like where you are? Just curious to know how they hold up in wintery/salty conditions.
I am going with the red turn signals mainly because there is no amber in my rear tail lights so I figured that the red would just look better.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going with the red turn signals mainly because there is no amber in my rear tail lights so I figured that the red would just look better.

That was another thought I had, although the front turn signals are amber as well so in a way I guess it could match with that. On my truck though there's a lot of red back there, maybe amber would be better for that reason (stand out more). Although those led's look pretty bright so I'm sure the movement of the sequential blinker would catch your eye either way.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Putco Blade with amber turn signals, and I like the contrast with the red on the truck, and the amber in the light bar. When the 4-way hazard flashers are activated, they flash red in the light bar. I am told that the Putco Blade can also be had with red turn signals as well. I do like the look of the sequential turn signals, but I notice a slight lag time in them when activated. On another note, I "cringe" when I see Scotchlok style connectors used, but that is just me.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am thinking about getting an OPT7 Triple Redline LED bar but I'm not sure if it will mess with my towing package and dash alerts? Being that it is plugged into the trailer harness, I would think it would assume I was towing a trailer? Also, any interference with back up cam?
Putco Blade tailgate light bar and then you buy the Putco connector that plugs in line with the trailer hitch plug. This hooks up from behind the bump its inline. No splicing just plug and play ,also will not void your factory warranty on electrical on your truck .I have one and have not had one problem ,also its very bright and 3 year warranty on the light bar. you can go to their web site. I got mine from stage 3 motor sports.com

OP
OP
RocketFoot

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up getting the Opt7 for Christmas...I also got 1 each of the 4 pin and a 5 pin Curt T-Harnesses. Problem is, the Opt7 4 pin harness won't plug into the 5 pin T-Harness so I either need to use the 4 pin T-Harness and splice into the reverse wire on the harness or cut the 4 pin connector off the Opt7 and solder in a 5 pin trailer side connector to work with the 5 pin T-Harness. It's definitely not plug and play either way but still better that cutting into the truck reverse light wire...I do not want to do that. I think I will cut the 4 pin off the Opt7 but I am sure that that will void the warranty....? But making it plug and play is a lot easier if it does decide to die in a year or two.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Crew Cab
Engine
I ended up getting the Opt7 for Christmas...I also got 1 each of the 4 pin and a 5 pin Curt T-Harnesses. Problem is, the Opt7 4 pin harness won't plug into the 5 pin T-Harness so I either need to use the 4 pin T-Harness and splice into the reverse wire on the harness or cut the 4 pin connector off the Opt7 and solder in a 5 pin trailer side connector to work with the 5 pin T-Harness. It's definitely not plug and play either way but still better that cutting into the truck reverse light wire...I do not want to do that. I think I will cut the 4 pin off the Opt7 but I am sure that that will void the warranty....? But making it plug and play is a lot easier if it does decide to die in a year or two.

I used this 5 way adapter, and it mated to the Opt7 perfect.
I just crimped a bullet connector to the white wire and plugged it into the 5th wire of the 5 way.
Plug & Play all the way.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EA6WQU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RodeoGeorge