Taking lifters and dropped oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WayneCC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK just throwing this out there maybe somebody can give me some advice. I’m on a 2014 ram 1500 5.7 Hemi my oil pressure has always stayed around 55 psi Always have that Hemi tick when I first crank up then goes away A few days ago ticking got bad and didn’t go away noticed my oil pressure dropped down to 36 even on the highway. I did a motor flush and dumped it change the filter put in new oil and immediately my pressure went back up to 55. But the ticking won’t go away. Is there anything I can do to maybe stop the ticking or does it sound like I have more trouble than a gummed up motor. Friend of mine told me to do another flush and dump it see what it does. Any ideas any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I believe 36 is normal for cruising oil pressure. Have you checked your manifolds studs?
Just like @512RAM said, check the exhaust manifold bolts to see if any are broken. A loose heat shield can be an indicator. The HEMI "tick" is a different sound than the exhaust leak from broken manifold bolts.

If you do not find an exhaust leak or any broken bolts in the manifold, don't wait to have the noise diagnosed and repaired. The longer the lifters are making noise the more damage that will occur.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't use that motor flush all that crap does is take all of the varnish and gum out of your main and rod bearings and now you have more tolerance in these bearings and it can produce a rod knock 36 psi is not bad going down the highway what is the pressure when the oil is warm at idle.the best thing to use is put a quart of transmission fluid in the crankcase and run it for 200 miles and dump it and put Redline 5w-30w full synthetic with a K&N oil filter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WayneCC

WayneCC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok thanks for the reply’s. My pressure is fluctuating a whole lot now. Idle cold 50-55, and hot around 40. Cruising staying around 55-60. Which puts it in the normal range the gauge says. But ticking is there and pretty sure it’s my back lifter on drivers side. I used a mechanic stethoscope and listened I’ll over and one lifter is where the ticking is coming from. So what now ? How big of a repair is it or shall I say how big a repair bill ? Figure I’m pretty much screwed as to a chance of getting outa this without havin to sell off a couple of my kids. Hell, they get on my nerves anyway. Thanks guys.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok thanks for the reply’s. My pressure is fluctuating a whole lot now. Idle cold 50-55, and hot around 40. Cruising staying around 55-60. Which puts it in the normal range the gauge says. But ticking is there and pretty sure it’s my back lifter on drivers side. I used a mechanic stethoscope and listened I’ll over and one lifter is where the ticking is coming from. So what now ? How big of a repair is it or shall I say how big a repair bill ? Figure I’m pretty much screwed as to a chance of getting outa this without havin to sell off a couple of my kids. Hell, they get on my nerves anyway. Thanks guys.

I can't speak to the tick, but My cold idle is about 57, hot idle 47ish, cruise hot 51. So your number there are great i would think.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Head on over to the Syn Oil thread in the 4th gen forum. Tons of info on this.