"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
Getting a headache trying to figure out the Tesla style radio and which one is compatible with my truck. I have a 2011 and I use that info when I search for the radio on the web but all the results always return for RAM trucks 2013-2018. Will that model radio work in my 2011? On the surface they look identical as far as mounting and fit so what am I not seeing here? Are the plugs different on the back? I did find separate listings on Phoenix with the 2011 model being $200 higher but they appear the same in every aspect. HELP please!

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Getting a headache trying to figure out the Tesla style radio and which one is compatible with my truck. I have a 2011 and I use that info when I search for the radio on the web but all the results always return for RAM trucks 2013-2018. Will that model radio work in my 2011? On the surface they look identical as far as mounting and fit so what am I not seeing here? Are the plugs different on the back? I did find separate listings on Phoenix with the 2011 model being $200 higher but they appear the same in every aspect. HELP please!

Yes, the plugs are different. 2013+ trucks use a completely different electrical architecture, which is why you can’t swap in a 2013+ Premium 7” cluster or a 2013+ 8.4 inch radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XDA guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
The only ones compatible with your truck might be the new Tesla style radios from Phoenix

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pr...dge-ram-2009-2018?_pos=4&_sid=93632a9f5&_ss=r

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

ichime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
May have missed it, but does anyone have/tried the 12.1 inch versions for these trucks?

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same thought when I read this a month ago...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I just stumbled across this independently as well, and came here to post. Is it worth a new thread for the PX6 12.1" for 2009-2012s? They should be significantly different from the hundred+ pages describing 10.4" 2013+ installs after all.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just stumbled across this independently as well, and came here to post. Is it worth a new thread for the PX6 12.1" for 2009-2012s? They should be significantly different from the hundred+ pages describing 10.4" 2013+ installs after all.
Yes and no. They are very similar in software but the hardware has changed significantly.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes and no. They are very similar in software but the ha has changed significantly.
Sounds good I'll stay tuned and post any info I can scrounge up or big sales, since it seems during COVID that support is poor anyway to be one of the first to attempt a install. Right now they just have 10% off on the PX6 12.1" Android 9 Fast Boot 4GB ram 64 GB rom 2009-2012 w/ floor center console w/ built in Android Auto/Carplay coming out to ~$720 after shipping which I think would be the one to get, and hopefully the center piece mentioned before w/ poor fitment on 2013+ isn't an issue on 2012s.

This is the only video they have up so far for <=2012s:

But I found this super helpful install video just posted:

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds good I'll stay tuned and post any info I can scrounge up or big sales, since it seems during COVID that support is poor anyway to be one of the first to attempt a install. Right now they just have 10% off on the PX6 12.1" Android 9 Fast Boot 4GB ram 64 GB rom 2009-2012 w/ floor center console w/ built in Android Auto/Carplay coming out to ~$720 after shipping which I think would be the one to get, and hopefully the center piece mentioned before w/ poor fitment on 2013+ isn't an issue on 2012s.

Thanks for the input Jessica.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Don't let Phoenix Android fool you during COVID. Their support is consistently awful and anger inducing (with rare exception).

jmckeejr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I sold my Tesla style radio but had purchased it from Rhino Radios and they were great with customer service. Even a year later I had a question and they responded right away (Facebook messenger best way). If anyone looking to go this route I would def look into rhino radios, their prices are good and customer service pretty good.

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I sold my Tesla style radio but had purchased it from Rhino Radios and they were great with customer service. Even a year later I had a question and they responded right away (Facebook messenger best way). If anyone looking to go this route I would def look into rhino radios, their prices are good and customer service pretty good.

I got the headunit but can't figure out how to get the AC working. The AC was left running but the controls are not operational. I tinkered with the protocols and have it on Ram Lo but it doesn't work. It's a 2013 pentastar with manual AC. Maybe you guys (SitKneelBend) can help me figure it out

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I got the headunit but can't figure out how to get the AC working. The AC was left running but the controls are not operational. I tinkered with the protocols and have it on Ram Lo but it doesn't work. It's a 2013 pentastar with manual AC. Maybe you guys (SitKneelBend) can help me figure it out
Leave it on Ram Lo and set the "protocol" to "changyuantong with BAGU" and click OK at the bottom. On the left hand side click "save and reboot".

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leave it on Ram Lo and set the "protocol" to "changyuantong with BAGU" and click OK at the bottom. On the left hand side click "save and reboot".

I did but nothing changed. BTW on the back of the radio there are two connectors that are plugged in the red one is left unconnected. As far as I understand that is between the frame and bezel and has nothing to do with the AC. Also with the two plugs connected (the black and white one - no adaptor harness) the AC is running but as I said the controls don't work, can't turn it off can't change speed or temperature or air direction. And I forgot to mntion the off button doesn't do a thing should it turn off the tab when pressed?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I did but nothing changed. BTW on the back of the radio there are two connectors that are plugged in the red one is left unconnected. As far as I understand that is between the frame and bezel and has nothing to do with the AC. Also with the two plugs connected (the black and white one - no adaptor harness) the AC is running but as I said the controls don't work, can't turn it off can't change speed or temperature or air direction. And I forgot to mntion the off button doesn't do a thing should it turn off the tab when pressed?
I'll need pictures of what you are referring to (connectors). I'll also need a picture of your system info screen. Who did you purchase this from?

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Pics attached. The red connector is car harness the grey one is the adapter that I left not connected. I got the headunit from jmckeejr

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357