"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Murray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter
this is the link of the one I just received , I’m not sure what Gen it is . https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H7M1VJQ/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would call Walt @ ADC and ask him whats the difference between the two. This is the one I ordered https://www.adcmobile.com/product/gen-4-t-style-radio-for-2014-18-ram/

You might be able to return that one and get the newest one. They supposedly worked out all the bugs. I am still working on installing mine (having issues finding the right front camera) one that will mount above the ram head and still show correctly. My local place has something on order.

I bought a 256gb jump drive from here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07857Y17V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and added a bunch of music videos and albums and the head unit plays it just fine.

I purchased poweramp from the app store and it has a good equalizer but I am still trying to get it adjusted.

I also downloaded the XM app, -only way at the moment to use XM on these radios. Walt said they are working on something for the gen 4 to be able to get XM without using a hotspot

hope this helps

the split screen is nice, you can use GPS and watch videos

20200526_132445.jpg

JustLovett0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8cyl
I would call Walt @ ADC and ask him whats the difference between the two. This is the one I ordered https://www.adcmobile.com/product/gen-4-t-style-radio-for-2014-18-ram/

You might be able to return that one and get the newest one. They supposedly worked out all the bugs. I am still working on installing mine (having issues finding the right front camera) one that will mount above the ram head and still show correctly. My local place has something on order.

I bought a 256gb jump drive from here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07857Y17V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and added a bunch of music videos and albums and the head unit plays it just fine.

I purchased poweramp from the app store and it has a good equalizer but I am still trying to get it adjusted.

I also downloaded the XM app, -only way at the moment to use XM on these radios. Walt said they are working on something for the gen 4 to be able to get XM without using a hotspot

hope this helps

View attachment 209496

The Generation IV Linkswell radios have the faster PX6 Processor in them, as opposed to the older PX3 on Gen II. The new ones have a bootup time of 10-15 seconds, as opposed to the slower 25-35 seconds of Gen II. The Gen IV Radio’s speed feels more like a phone, rather than a Radio’s typical slowness.
The Generation IV Radio also has a better amplifier, meaning you’ll get much better audio quality, and higher quality RCA output signals for improved aftermarket audio systems. Generation IV is also running Android 8 for better App support, and has HDMI input/output.

Walt from ADC is definitely very knowledgeable of the Linkswell products.

We are working on a better EQ in the future to be built-into radios. Also, SiriusXM support should be coming up later this year from us. The Gen IV radios already have the metal cutouts for the antenna, we just needs XM to give us the OK to start selling radios with the hardware inside.

Also, if you're playing videos off a USB flash drive, in the video player app look for a button that says "PIP." This is "Picture in Picture" mode, which allows a small video player to be shown on the screen over your navigation, or any other app.

Jesse farias

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

hope this helps

View attachment 209496

I appreciate all the info Chris , I’ll be sure to get in contact with him and see what we can work out .

PieerHemibrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'll PM you updated firmware tomorrow to try.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

HI, i installed the update ... not without issues, because at the begginign it crashed ( stuck on update ), then after i manage to install, graphic was corrupted (pixelised), but finally i got back to the spot i was. The update installed but no change... still no voice from front speakers . Maybe there is some setup to be changed in the "hidden" menu ? For example for the A/C to wrok with my manual 4 s-speed A/C i had to change in the hidden menu ( the one under system version" something related with A/C for "cyc with bagoo" and after thsi change the A/C is working .
IS there a setup/setting for defining the version of amp ? and number of speakers ? please help

pictures after update :upload_2020-5-29_14-37-54.pngupload_2020-5-29_14-38-4.png

seems that Your version downgraded my android from 7.1.1 to 6.0.1 .......

Last edited:

Jesse farias

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Okay so I got my Tesla style screen(linkswell gen 2 ) installed today After a little confusion with the speaker plugs I figured it out , I also found it easier to route the main harness wires lower (pic ) to fit the bezel back in . There is plenty more room running the harnesses lower . So With all that being said I have a few questions I can’t seem to find answers for in This forum granted I’ve been through 100 pages and am tired of reading mostly the same thing over and over so I decided to just ask. Q.1 When my Bluetooth is connected it plays music but if I hit home screen or any other app my music turns off , and the same happens with The radio app. Is that just how it is or is there a setting I can change ? Q.2 I have the white dongle for the Apple CarPlay , when I plug in my iPhone it charges the phone but nothing changes on screen , is there a secondary app needed to run the dongle ? I’ve tried both USB ports provided with the screen. Q.3 is there a way to update the software or am I locked In on what I have , I believe it was 4.1.1 when I checked not 100% on that

F3C4C18D-5E88-4CAB-96D6-6DCCCB733603.jpeg

SHERMAN ROBBINS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay so I got my Tesla style screen(linkswell gen 2 ) installed today After a little confusion with the speaker plugs I figured it out , I also found it easier to route the main harness wires lower (pic ) to fit the bezel back in . There is plenty more room running the harnesses lower . So With all that being said I have a few questions I can’t seem to find answers for in This forum granted I’ve been through 100 pages and am tired of reading mostly the same thing over and over so I decided to just ask. Q.1 When my Bluetooth is connected it plays music but if I hit home screen or any other app my music turns off , and the same happens with The radio app. Is that just how it is or is there a setting I can change ? Q.2 I have the white dongle for the Apple CarPlay , when I plug in my iPhone it charges the phone but nothing changes on screen , is there a secondary app needed to run the dongle ? I’ve tried both USB ports provided with the screen. Q.3 is there a way to update the software or am I locked In on what I have , I believe it was 4.1.1 when I checked not 100% on that

View attachment 209973
I don't have the linkswell but my Rhino works when you switch to the home screen. With CarPlay you need to download the autokit apk from playstore and select this when you want to connect to CarPlay you also want to use the powered USB port under the armrest the one that you would plug a thumb drive into for best results. It works in the other USB ports but connection and functions are flakey.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

View attachment 209973

For the music stopping, they are not supposed to. The stock players that come with the radio firmware and a list of other popular (in some countries) media apps are whitelisted to prevent the music playback from stopping as you describe. The stock apps are also included as system apps and protected in additional pieces of code to prevent this behavior. My guess is Linkswell modified the APKs with their own and either didn't add them to these lists and/or improperly added them to these lists. An updated firmware flash from Linkswell may cure the playback issue.

As @SHERMAN ROBBINS stated, you'll need the autokit apk or whichever apk is mentioned in the instructions that the dongle came with. Some resellers like Linkswell may have already included this app in their firmware or have it available to download from their website.

You are stuck at the Android OS level currently on your device no matter what a different firmware might tell you. The only way to upgrade Android OS on these radios is through significant hardware replacement (replacing the MCU board).

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the music stopping, they are not supposed to. The stock players that come with the radio firmware and a list of other popular (in some countries) media apps are whitelisted to prevent the music playback from stopping as you describe. The stock apps are also included as system apps and protected in additional pieces of code to prevent this behavior. My guess is Linkswell modified the APKs with their own and either didn't add them to these lists and/or improperly added them to these lists. An updated firmware flash from Linkswell may cure the playback issue.

As @SHERMAN ROBBINS stated, you'll need the autokit apk or whichever apk is mentioned in the instructions that the dongle came with. Some resellers like Linkswell may have already included this app in their firmware or have it available to download from their website.

You are stuck at the Android OS level currently on your device no matter what a different firmware might tell you. The only way to upgrade Android OS on these radios is through significant hardware replacement (replacing the MCU board).

All great advice brother.
Mine also works flawlessly. pretty sure it has to do with Linkswell.
I would contact them for an update.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Jesse farias

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Alright so I was able to use CarPlay through the autokit apk, with that I do not have any music cut off , I also hooked up an aftermarket amp and sub. So far so good . The software thing is a bummer for sure but as of right now it runs smooth so no complaints (yet) . Fingers crossed on that one . Thanks for the help guys !

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Alright so I was able to use CarPlay through the autokit apk, with that I do not have any music cut off , I also hooked up an aftermarket amp and sub. So far so good . The software thing is a bummer for sure but as of right now it runs smooth so no complaints (yet) . Fingers crossed on that one . Thanks for the help guys !
If you post an image of your system info screen I "might" be able to tell you if you have the latest Linkswell firmware or if you need an update.

Jesse farias

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you post an image of your system info screen I "might" be able to tell you if you have the latest Linkswell firmware or if you need an update.

Alright this is my system version screen , hope it can help . Also does the time reset everytime the truck turns off that’s a little annoying having to set the clock every time

image.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Alright this is my system version screen , hope it can help . Also does the time reset everytime the truck turns off that’s a little annoying having to set the clock every time

View attachment 210163

Note: @JustLovett0 can chime in if I have any of this wrong...

It looks like there is an update. What Linkswell refers to as GENII App 2.3. You can download the firmware for 2.3 here...

(Removed links)

THey state it requires a "plugbox" update to for 2.3. I believe the red plugbox they refer to is what everyone else refers to as the CANBUS adapter and the update can be found here (only if your box is actually red plastic)...

(Removed links)

The time resetting is a known issue that is not meant to occur. I believe the answer can be found here with ADC Mobile (who may or may not be affiliated with Linkswell)

https://www.adcmobile.com/product/gen2-t-style-radio-for-2014-18-ram/

Why does the clock keep losing time on my T-Style Radio?
  • The system receives data for the clock from a few different sources which sometimes cause the clock to change times. To fix the clock issues follow the steps below.
    • Go to “Settings”
    • Then “More Settings”
    • Scroll to find “Date & Time”
    • Be sure you turn off all the “Automatic” settings
    • After turning off all Automatic settings go to manually set “Time Zone”
      • (You have to set the time zone before you change the time f the time will revert to the time zone that it is set at)
    • After setting the time Zone the clock should show the correct time.
      • If the clock skips an hour
        • Go back to “General Settings”
        • Press the clock Icon and switch the “DST” option
          • If that doesn’t fix it go back to the Time Zone options and select a time zone that makes the time display correctly on the screen

Last edited:

JustLovett0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8cyl

View attachment 209973

Hey Jesse, not sure if you Called Linkswell yet, but if you do, ask for "James." I work the phones here for tech support.

Q.1 When my Bluetooth is connected it plays music but if I hit home screen or any other app my music turns off , and the same happens with The radio app. Is that just how it is or is there a setting I can change ?
Bluetooth should still be playing audio in the background... Even when you press the home screen icon, it doesn't work? I haven't heard of that before.
Basically this is a situation where Android has to determine which app you want to play audio through. Look in the very top right of the screen for an icon with two boxes. (Multitask). Swipe to the left or right to close apps in the background, and see if anything changes.
PM me your email, or give the Linkswell number a call and I'll see if we can send over an update to fix this.

Q.2 I have the white dongle for the Apple CarPlay , when I plug in my iPhone it charges the phone but nothing changes on screen , is there a secondary app needed to run the dongle ? I’ve tried both USB ports provided with the screen.
The White Dongle for Carplay does use an App. It's called "AutoKit." You might need to open the app on the homescreen that says "Phone Link," as it should tie into the app. If the "PhoneLink" button doesn't do anything, or the "Autokit" app isn't in the AppList, you need to re-install it. Instructions and download links are on the website: Linkswellinc.com

Q.3 is there a way to update the software or am I locked In on what I have , I believe it was 4.1.1 when I checked not 100% on that
The software for these Android units is stuck to what they came with from the factory. If you updated android, it would mess up some pretty critical functions, like climate control.
The Linkswell Gen II Unit you have (PX3) is running Android 4.4.4, but the Android settings menu will Say android 6.

Last edited:

JustLovett0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8cyl

View attachment 210163
Note: @JustLovett0 can chime in if I have any of this wrong...

It looks like there is an update. What Linkswell refers to as GENII App 2.3. You can download the firmware for 2.3 here...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ecjbgpe1ux7gfk1/AACQFssSVGBBEEX7ypqtH4nNa/Generation II Ram Updates/APP?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

THey state it requires a "plugbox" update to for 2.3. I believe the red plugbox they refer to is what everyone else refers to as the CANBUS adapter and the update can be found here (only if your box is actually red plastic)...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ecjbgpe1ux7gfk1/AACnv74VuCOmloozfWkPCnKsa/Generation II Ram Updates/PlugBox/Red CANBOX?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

The time resetting is a known issue that is not meant to occur. I believe the answer can be found here with ADC Mobile (who may or may not be affiliated with Linkswell)

https://www.adcmobile.com/product/gen2-t-style-radio-for-2014-18-ram/

Why does the clock keep losing time on my T-Style Radio?
  • The system receives data for the clock from a few different sources which sometimes cause the clock to change times. To fix the clock issues follow the steps below.
    • Go to “Settings”
    • Then “More Settings”
    • Scroll to find “Date & Time”
    • Be sure you turn off all the “Automatic” settings
    • After turning off all Automatic settings go to manually set “Time Zone”
      • (You have to set the time zone before you change the time f the time will revert to the time zone that it is set at)
    • After setting the time Zone the clock should show the correct time.
      • If the clock skips an hour
        • Go back to “General Settings”
        • Press the clock Icon and switch the “DST” option
          • If that doesn’t fix it go back to the Time Zone options and select a time zone that makes the time display correctly on the screen

Woah!!! Let's Not run the Gen II updates on this unit. @Jesse farias that isn't a Gen II linkswell Radio, exactly.. That's an "Amazon" Linkswell radio. It has our Gen II Hardware, but the Gen 1 software. If you look to run any updates from our website, make sure it's the Amazon Unit specific updates, or your radio has a possibility (usually a 40% chance) to burn up and stop working.

http://www.linkswellinc.com/amazon-t-style-radio-firmware-updates/

Your software is up to date, however. MCU version is F027, and the APP Version is "2019 03 01." No need to update unless some issues or problems come up with your radio.

@SitKneelBend you're absolutely right with the Time setting. Thanks for helping Linkswell customers, by the way. This company (Linkswell) doesn't give online forums enough credit.

Lou Harrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Hi all, does anyone know how to get RDS info to appear in the radio app, or another radio app that will show it (and work) PX6 on a 2018 Ram 1500. TIA

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi all, does anyone know how to get RDS info to appear in the radio app, or another radio app that will show it (and work) PX6 on a 2018 Ram 1500. TIA
If you don't have root access using a different (compatible) PX6 firmware can work so long as the radio apk has all the features. If you have root, you can replace radio.apk directly.

I'm assuming you dont have the RDS button in the radio regions option menu.

Lou Harrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
If you don't have root access using a different (compatible) PX6 firmware can work so long as the radio apk has all the features. If you have root, you can replace radio.apk directly.

I'm assuming you dont have the RDS button in the radio regions option menu.

So, I found the RDS button and turned it on. No change. From what Sergey tells me, that means my unit will not support RDS. Kind of a bummer. I was hoping someone had some novel way to get it working.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For anyone with the issue that they bought a used Tesla or the seller shipped the wrong harness, below are some changes to perform on the harness if you are capable of re-pinning it yourself (these instruction may/probably will not work on 3rd party seller harnesses that further customize the factory harnesses like Linkswell). These instruction are to go from a Ram Hi audio output (Alpine System) to a Ram Lo audio system (base 6 speaker setup). @PieerHemibrick recently tested these changes on a Ram-Hi harness to make it work on a Ram-Lo truck.

1. First we start with the move of wires on the radio side of the harness. With the locking clip faced down, move these wires up...

b03d1c718dc1f17aa3a1ca7a6fc60665.jpg

2. Then you will add wires in these positions on the truck side of the harness...

de97487647a0a7d17da47e81049afe2b.jpg

3. Finally, you will take the wires you added on the truck side and add them on the radio side in this order...

0aef0e9e24cda499ea8fdfb30a846dd4.jpg

That's it! After this you should have a working 6 speaker system!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat