The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
I'm going to apologize for this in advance, and just say that in my research to buy my new Ram,I must have read this thread front to back at least twice! I just can't remember if/when it was covered as the thread is so huge now!

Are you guys running 91 octane or just 87, and do you notice any benefits to either for these engines?

Thanks, and I'll take my flaming like a man LOL. .....

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Straight 87. Haven't even tried 89 or higher. It actualy states in the manual to run 87 and it says there would be no gain by running anything higher.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^Good to know, I wondered if there would be any mileage benefits from the higher octane

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't believe there would be unless you installed a tuner as well. The engine was designed to run on 87.

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
87 all the way. You wouldn't get better mileage from higher octane that's not how it works. You wanna run the lowest octane you can get away with without detonation, ours are tuned for 87.

Now I'm not sure if dodge ecu will add timing for 93 and get some more power but I really doubt it, probably just pull it via knock sensors.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok cheers for the info guys, and for putting up with a Ram newbie!

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Gets me thinking about tuning though. Shot an email to hemi fever to see if they have any experience with these yet. Would be nice if we could pick up 20 whp peak and better under curve. Probably just dreaming tho.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
TWILLIAMS9
Nice looking Truck.....:waytogo:

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Fan noise

Hi All. Have heard and experienced the "Fan Noise". lol Look at the fan blades and you will see why. (Ceiling Fan). lol Can tell you though, at about 4500rpm, the fan will disengage. Can definitely feel the power gain. Now for the better news for those of us towing, went over Vail, CO pass last summer. Towing 27' toy hauler, 13,000k plus. Outside temp 100 deg. and also had the standard gearing (too high) 3.73. I can tell you that it will not overheat. If temp gauge and oil temp gauge moved more than a needles width from normal I would be amazed. Now that we're in the winter months and I live out of town at the top of a 9 mile hill, I had to purchase a winter front to get it to warm. The engine will cool to almost off the gauge from normal coming down. The thermostat works like advertised. Thinking at this point, 15k miles, I'm getting used to the noise. lol It cools like a truck. That's why I purchased it. I'll take the noise.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok. So i am in the process of possibly trading my 14 big horn 5.7 for a 3/4 or 1 ton with the 6.4. i would like comments on the ike gauntlet test on youtube. I have not read this whole thread . It is huge .I dont plan on towing every day (once per week max.) but i will have a heavy toy hauler. I do not want a diesel. It wil not be anything that the 6.4 cant handle (26-30+footer). But, i have seen good and bad comments on this motor. The you tube ike gauntlet video where it gets smoked by the chevy concerns me cause of the bad performance. I read where ram said its programmed that way to preserve engine life. I dont want anything but a ram. I will not be towing in hilly areas regularly. I dont want to trade my truck and be dissapointed. This is another post that concerns me since most trucks out there do not have the 4.10 gearing and im looking for slightly used (post #6):

http://www.ramforum.com/f38/6_4_owners-42586/

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Get the 4.10 gears and forget you ever saw that video. It shows nothing of this motors performance and if anything shows that the motor is built for longevity. I work for a company that only buys chevy 2500s and the occasional ford. None of those trucks compare to mine in performance and i even drag raced a brand new one and beat it by several truck lengths in about a 1/4 mile. The kicker is all of the cjevys have 4.10s and i have 3.73s and mine is waayyyy faster of the line. It doesnt sag with a weld machine in tow like the chevys do either. And the ford we bought in 2012 is a hair slower than i am but that truck has a 4.30 gear ratio and still wont get me off the line.

Gas: i average around the same as the chevys and do strictly city driving where the chevys are up and down the highway at 55 all day long.

For me there was an easy decision and i'll never look back or even wonder if i made the best choice.

Last edited:

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Gets me thinking about tuning though. Shot an email to hemi fever to see if they have any experience with these yet. Would be nice if we could pick up 20 whp peak and better under curve. Probably just dreaming tho.
I'm running a 91 tune from hemifever. Seat of the pants feel is sweeet!

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just placed my order for the mufflex muffler! Can't wait for it to get here so I can slap it on and hopefully gain an MPG, lord knows I need it :roflsquared:

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The mufflex gives a nice rumble. It's not obnoxious at idle but does have drone when the engine is loaded up.

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just placed my order for the mufflex muffler! Can't wait for it to get here so I can slap it on and hopefully gain an MPG, lord knows I need it :roflsquared:

I really wish they made one for the 3500 trucks.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
People say cruising on the freeway there is no drone.

Drone shows up when pulling a hill in 6th and pulling a trailer. The supplied clamps don't tighten up as well as I would like. When I first installed the mufflex the drone was worse cause of a leak. I re-tightened and it got quieter. I'm gonna get some copper paste and redo it again.