The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
thats good news!

perhaps ill make them gorilla tight later on once it cools down.

thanks again for the info.

cheers! beer time. :)

FYI, its a 14mm socket.

And he gave me a pointer that I did not practice as I tighten them down before he told me this.

Warm the exhaust up to operating temperature then climb under there and break them loose and then snug them back down as much as you can.

Don't just start tightening when they're cold like I did. I'm going to redo it with this new plan.

And he said if this doesn't work he will work with us to figure it out. He is one of the mechanics for the test vehicles on the proving grounds. All they do is trouble shooting

And of Chrysler's listening, tell your dealers to pull their heads out of their ass and actually start helping people.

Last edited:

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
FYI, its a 14mm socket.

And he gave me a pointer that I did not practice as I tighten them down before he told me this.

Warm the exhaust up to operating temperature then climb under there and break them loose and then snug them back down as much as you can.

Don't just start tightening when they're cold like I did. I'm going to redo it with this new plan.

And he said if this doesn't work he will work with us to figure it out. He is one of the mechanics for the test vehicles on the proving grounds. All they do is trouble shooting

And of Chrysler's listening, tell your dealers to pull their heads out of their ass and actually start helping people.

ill try that tomorrow. was only able to get 1/4 turn on one bolt on passenger side connection....all the rest were really really tight....appreciate the info. my ratchet is about 20 inches....the dealer here in colorado was somewhat useless. they were not busy....but i gather they didnt want to read my work order...

f y i if you didnt do the t 15 transmission recall, do it, if applicable - the truck drives much better now. not so much lugging and shifting in the trans anymore...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
ill try that tomorrow. was only able to get 1/4 turn on one bolt on passenger side connection....all the rest were really really tight....appreciate the info. my ratchet is about 20 inches....the dealer here in colorado was somewhat useless. they were not busy....but i gather they didnt want to read my work order...

f y i if you didnt do the t 15 transmission recall, do it, if applicable - the truck drives much better now. not so much lugging and shifting in the trans anymore...

T15?

Ill have to look into it. The last time i contacted ram owner connect i gave them my vin to serch recalls and theybsaid there was nothing. Somtimes i dont believe them.

My truck was manufactured in 9/2015 and is a 2016 model. Does that recall affect ALL 2500 (and 3500SRW like mine) 6.4 hemi's?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Looked,

No recalls for my vin#. Thank you for the info though.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
my truck was 12 / 15 built....

i dunno about which trucks the recall affects....there is also a egr recall, however mine was not in that batch...

i see your in michigan. i love the "U.P."

rode my harley through there in 2000 for a few weeks - nice country....

cheers comrade!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
my truck was 12 / 15 built....

i dunno about which trucks the recall affects....there is also a egr recall, however mine was not in that batch...

i see your in michigan. i love the "U.P."

rode my harley through there in 2000 for a few weeks - nice country....

cheers comrade!

Im below the bridge, but will live a up there when my son (who is 2) moves out and starts a life of his own. To anyone listening... the U.P. Is literally its own world. Its THE most beautiful place IMO in the U.S. ... if you like trees, no people, feet of snow and lakes that look like oceans. Its unspeakably beautiful.

Sorry, im done now.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Im below the bridge, but will live a up there when my son (who is 2) moves out and starts a life of his own. To anyone listening... the U.P. Is literally its own world. Its THE most beautiful place IMO in the U.S. ... if you like trees, no people, feet of snow and lakes that look like oceans. Its unspeakably beautiful.

Sorry, im done now.
Agree we camp up there every year.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
How many towing 5-ers with their 6.4? I'm looking to upgrade my travel trailer to an Eagle HT 30.5MBOK. It's 6" taller, same length, and about 1000 lbs heavier than my current travel trailer. So far in my towing experience the 6.4 doesn't care about weight, and the wind resistance is the biggest factor. Given the 5-er isn't much bigger with smooth sides instead of metal(current TT), I'm not thinking it'll be much different.

Truck is paid for, so I'm not looking to upgrade. I am prepared to put in 4.88s(4.10s stock) if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whsk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
that last post was for 0-40w motor oil-walmart has it for 26.58 for a 5 quart jug

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How many towing 5-ers with their 6.4? I'm looking to upgrade my travel trailer to an Eagle HT 30.5MBOK. It's 6" taller, same length, and about 1000 lbs heavier than my current travel trailer. So far in my towing experience the 6.4 doesn't care about weight, and the wind resistance is the biggest factor. Given the 5-er isn't much bigger with smooth sides instead of metal(current TT), I'm not thinking it'll be much different.

Truck is paid for, so I'm not looking to upgrade. I am prepared to put in 4.88s(4.10s stock) if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious as well! I tow a 34' Jayco that weighs about 8000lb dry. I'd like to upgrade to a fifth wheel in a couple years and would like to know how they tow as well. I know they feel better stability wise, but not sure how the gassers do with the profile.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
IMO,

The 6.4 can do it no problem ( i think a SRW 3500 with 6.4 is better) but if i was to but ANY travel trailer i would install 4.56 at a MIN.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I tow a 2017 Jayco Eagle 324bhts TT not a fifth wheel that is listed at 8900 dry from factory according to yellow sticker. So i would expect it is close to 10k loaded for camping. My 6.4 with 4.10s seems to be averaging 8.5 mpg. Not great but not horrible. I have heard of people actually gain mpg going to a 5er but dont ask me how. I would like to switch to 4.56 gears soon. For now I am going to just try and tow in 4th gear and keep it there to see if mpgs drop or stay same. This will put it close to what 4.56 will give me rpm wise but not the mechanical advantage the better gears would have. With 4.56 gears i could run 5th at what 4th will give me now.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
I tow a 2017 Jayco Eagle 324bhts TT not a fifth wheel that is listed at 8900 dry from factory according to yellow sticker. So i would expect it is close to 10k loaded for camping. My 6.4 with 4.10s seems to be averaging 8.5 mpg. Not great but not horrible. I have heard of people actually gain mpg going to a 5er but dont ask me how. I would like to switch to 4.56 gears soon. For now I am going to just try and tow in 4th gear and keep it there to see if mpgs drop or stay same. This will put it close to what 4.56 will give me rpm wise but not the mechanical advantage the better gears would have. With 4.56 gears i could run 5th at what 4th will give me now.

I don't know if your running 33's or 35's for tires, but all this gear talk lately got me diving into some rpm #'s this past weekend. I'm running 4.10's with the 33's (275/70R18) stock size. I used a RPM calculator off of one of the gear sites I looked at. I too thought going down a gear at hwy speeds would be like 4.56's, when in fact, its more like a 4.88's . Here's a little table I put together.

4th Gear, RPM's
R&P 60mph 65mph 70mph
4.10 2505 2713 2922
4.56 2786 3018 3250
4.88 2981 3230 3478

5thGear, RPM's
R&P 60mph 65mph 70mph
4.10 2054 2225 2396
4.56 2284 2475 2665
4.88 2445 2648 2852

6thGear, RPM's
R&P 60mph 65mph 70mph
4.10 1553 1682 1812
4.56 1727 1871 2015
4.88 1848 2002 2156

As you can see, having a 4.10 already and dropping a gear at hwy speeds is more closely to a 4.88 than a 4.56 especially going from 5th to 4th gears.
(I.E. 65 mph w/4.88 in 5th = 65 mph in 4th w/ 4.10)

I don't have any qualms with the 4.10's at hwy speeds with the loads I pull as I can easily manage the gearing with the +/- button. However, what gets me is the low speed range 20-40 mph on our county roads that have progressively steeper grades on the hills and 2nd gear doesn't cut it and when it asks for 1st its difficult not to slam into it. I just got quoted $2700 for gears from my local shop.....which, is hard to swallow, and for that amount of money, I just may look for a used CTD tradesman of the same year as my truck.....IDK...

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I was quoted about the same price as you Wyo. On my next towing trip I am gonna try locking out all overdrive gears and see what it does to mpg. If it is decent then I will just stay with what I got. It really isn't all about rpm though cause the truck doesn't have to work as hard to get the rpms with 4.56 or 4.88 than it does with the 4.10s. Who knows maybe I am just trying to delay the inevitable upgrade. But there is just so much less to worry about for me anyways in the gas world.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
I'll agree with that. Much less to worry about. I played around with those rpm's out on the hwy this past weekend unloaded. Just locked the truck in 5th for the most part. Up slight inclines 1-4% it just would hold speed, no drop, felt good and downhill, it held the truck back more both in mpg and engine braking which was too be expected. Now going back down those same inclines on my return trip, I finally let it slip into 6th. Man, there was an immediate 3 mpg on the instantaneous readout right away. I'll take that of course. What I don't know is how a lower gearing is going to affect that 20-40 mph range, that is, is there going to be enough leverage to get me out of the 2nd gear hole...I'm not so sure. I know the truck will be more efficient towing with a lower R&P set, but I don't know if its worth the mpg loss for the other 80% of my driving... Hell, its only money right..? :Good or Bad:

LDBagger17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got almost 2k on mine since doing 4.44's in rear, and fuel milage has increased .5-1.5 mpg under various conditions. Overall mpg is .8 better, and 20-40 mph is definently improved

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Got almost 2k on mine since doing 4.44's in rear, and fuel milage has increased .5-1.5 mpg under various conditions. Overall mpg is .8 better, and 20-40 mph is definently improved

Thanks for the update! I've followed your posts in here, good stuff! Looks like I'd be near the same rpm range as you, maybe just a hair less, with 4.56's with my tire size.

Question for you LDBagger. Did you have to install all new bearings and shims with your new R&P? Quote I got from my local shop priced out a complete rebuild kit and it would be around $3200. I puckered. But just R&P, shims, and using the carrier bearings they could knock off quite a bit. They just hadn't done one of these newer 13+ RAMS yet. What you see when you were in there?

LDBagger17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the update! I've followed your posts in here, good stuff! Looks like I'd be near the same rpm range as you, maybe just a hair less, with 4.56's with my tire size.

Question for you LDBagger. Did you have to install all new bearings and shims with your new R&P? Quote I got from my local shop priced out a complete rebuild kit and it would be around $3200. I puckered. But just R&P, shims, and using the carrier bearings they could knock off quite a bit. They just hadn't done one of these newer 13+ RAMS yet. What you see when you were in there?

I did get complete kits, could have reused all bearings, as truck only had 37.5k on it. Did use new pinion bearings and some shims, only problem was kit had wrong pinion seal in it, way to small o.d. Checked federated auto parts they said they had it, went to get it and it was the same as what was in kit, checked NAPA and they don't even have a listing, so be sure on your pinion seal. Depending on your mileage bearings would probably be ok, unless big pinion brg gets damaged changing it, you will need shims I'm sure.