The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First world problems for sure but my 2500 rides fine, I don't idle it much and I am about to relocate and update those fuel filters!

Back on topic. If I towed lighter loads I'd strongly lean towards the 6.4L engine. I really liked mine and, to this day, miss that black beast.

052516%2001_zpssq4mzfgz.jpg

20170315_063023_zpspiv0r1tl.jpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What the hell? When did this happen MADDOG? I must have missed it!? Everyone OK I hope?

Sent from my mobile

Hiya, Smurf. It happened early on the morning of 3/15/17. A fellow in a Phord F-150 ran a red light and took the front off the Big Horn. Frame damage doomed it to the parts pile and recycle yard.

Everyone was OK. I was a bit bruised and sore but after a little massage therapy it was all good.

Last pic of the 6.4 taken after I stripped off the goodies that weren't damaged, downloaded the I2 tunes, returned it to stock and put my spare set of OEM wheels on it.

20170328_123013_zpspsat1gwo.jpg

A couple of weeks later I bought this:

20170705_090402_zpso0xr10yg.jpg

GreenTractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello everyone,

I've got 1,200 miles on my '17 CCLB 2500 6.4 Hemi.

Just sold my Tundra (5.7) for the Ram.

So far I'm disappointed with the acceleration. It's a dog.

My driveway exits onto a highway where quick acceleration sometimes is a must. My Tundra would crush the Ram from 0-60 MPH.

Yes the Ram weights more and it's not quite apples to apples with gear ratios but honestly I'm missing that power.

Is this normal for the 6.4? I've read after 5,000 miles some owners have claimed the truck 'wakes up.'

Does the diesel have the same issue solely based on the weight differences from any 1/2 ton?

What I'd really like is my Tundra acceleration but in a 3/4 ton. How do I achieve that?

Thanks for any advice!

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What I'd really like is my Tundra acceleration but in a 3/4 ton. How do I achieve that?
It’s ~2000lbs more truck than a Tundra, but you can make it better.

Are you 3.73s? If so, go to 4.56s. Headers, throttle body, and tune will get you closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hello everyone,

My driveway exits onto a highway where quick acceleration sometimes is a must. My Tundra would crush the Ram from 0-60 MPH.

Yes the Ram weights more and it's not quite apples to apples with gear ratios but honestly I'm missing that power.

Is this normal for the 6.4? I've read after 5,000 miles some owners have claimed the truck 'wakes up.'

Does the diesel have the same issue solely based on the weight differences from any 1/2 ton?

Thanks for any advice!

All I can say is PEDAL COMMANDER.

GreenTractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep, 3.73s.

Would aftermarket exhaust / intake help?

Pedal Commander...I like what I'm hearing!

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hello everyone,

Thanks for any advice!
Get a Pedal Commander. Night and day difference. Moe’s will usually have them for 20% off too, I think.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pedal commander will definitely help the sluggish take off. PM me for a quote we offer the lowest possible price!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
And it does get better about 5-6000 miles in..

Night RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What’s the biggest trailers you guys tow with your 6.4s.

My father just got a 12000 GTWR travel trailer and is looking at either a 6.4 or a 6.7 3500.

For those of you with larger trailers how does the 6.4 do? He plans on taking it to Florida at least once a year from Ohio.

Let me know your opinions.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4

My father just got a 12000 GTWR travel trailer and is looking at either a 6.4 or a 6.7 3500.

For those of you with larger trailers how does the 6.4 do? He plans on taking it to Florida at least once a year from Ohio.

Mine's about 8500 loaded. 34 footer. Pulls it nicely with Equalizer WD hitch. If I was going over 10k I'd go diesel..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Black Gold Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 33ft trailer is is around 7k loaded, planning on also using for a 12k dry 5th wheel. I have 4:10 rear and air ride

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Don’t take this the wrong way but didn’t you guys test drive it first? I haven’t driven a 6.4L but I have driven a Cummins and the main reason I don’t have the Cummins is I park outside and drive a lot of miles and the 1500 is probably better for what I do 90% of the time although I would love the diesel and the HD for when I am towing and to get a bigger boat. I don’t need it so I make due.

Just seems like on the test drive you could have felt the acceleration. Also many of us have said on many posts get the lower gears (highest numerically) you can over and over. I wish I had been on Ram forum before I bought my Ram as I never would have bought the 3.55 gears.

There is a lot to the gear pairing it can make all the difference. Again don’t take it the wrong way I am just surprised you bought an expensive truck and do not like the acceleration empty.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L

I've towed 12K+ goose neck with my 6.4L. Does fine with the stock 4:10 and air suspension. Transmission temps etc., all good as I monitored them going from Michigan to south central Kentucky on several trips. I've had a few company car diesels and 6.4L trucks when I worked for FCA. The decision point for me is how many miles per year & length of ownership. I sold my personal 2003 V10 in 2015 with only 65K miles on it. The diesel up front expense does not make sense financially for my personal use. I plan on keeping this truck for many years with annual usage in the 5K to 7.5K range per year. I only sold the 2003 V10 for the newer suspension and increased tow capacity & payload (for our truck camper) of the 2015.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I've towed 12K+ goose neck with my 6.4L. Does fine with the stock 4:10 and air suspension. Transmission temps etc., all good as I monitored them going from Michigan to south central Kentucky on several trips. I've had a few company car diesels and 6.4L trucks when I worked for FCA. The decision point for me is how many miles per year & length of ownership. I sold my personal 2003 V10 in 2015 with only 65K miles on it. The diesel up front expense does not make sense financially for my personal use. I plan on keeping this truck for many years with annual usage in the 5K to 7.5K range per year. I only sold the 2003 V10 for the newer suspension and increased tow capacity & payload (for our truck camper) of the 2015.

I also put the pencil to it and found I could never pay the additional costs associated with diesel over gas. I have towed 8000# travel trailer with another 1000# atv in the bed over 35000 miles with no issues.

GreenTractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don’t take this the wrong way but didn’t you guys test drive it first? I haven’t driven a 6.4L but I have driven a Cummins and the main reason I don’t have the Cummins is I park outside and drive a lot of miles and the 1500 is probably better for what I do 90% of the time although I would love the diesel and the HD for when I am towing and to get a bigger boat. I don’t need it so I make due.

Just seems like on the test drive you could have felt the acceleration. Also many of us have said on many posts get the lower gears (highest numerically) you can over and over. I wish I had been on Ram forum before I bought my Ram as I never would have bought the 3.55 gears.

There is a lot to the gear pairing it can make all the difference. Again don’t take it the wrong way I am just surprised you bought an expensive truck and do not like the acceleration empty.

No offense taken. I totally get it.

4 doors for the family, 8 foot bed for the farm, 3/4 ton for the payload. Don't tow enough to justify a diesel.

Hopefully with a few adjustments it will all work out.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
No offense taken. I totally get it.

4 doors for the family, 8 foot bed for the farm, 3/4 ton for the payload. Don't tow enough to justify a diesel.

Hopefully with a few adjustments it will all work out.
I just meant you could have tried the gears. I personally will always get the lowest gears I can in anything I ever buy. Bugs me they always stick people with the weak gears because the size up cost around $100 more. Just silly because a redo is so expensive.