The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenTractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just meant you could have tried the gears. I personally will always get the lowest gears I can in anything I ever buy. Bugs me they always stick people with the weak gears because the size up cost around $100 more. Just silly because a redo is so expensive.

This is my first big truck. Everyone I asked had a different opinion about what gear ratio was best.

At the end of the day I love my Tradesman. Looking at some Icon shocks maybe next year.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That is because some people will justify what they bought no matter what. I personally bought the 3.55 hated them when towing. I did research and it led me to Ram Forum. I paid a crap ton to switch everything thing over. I wish I would have known before hand but I didn’t either. There is still people on here saying the 3.21’s are good with the 8 speed I am sure towing is downshift city but I see people still saying it is fine. I am not very tolerant of lack of performance. When something isn’t right I will pay to make it better and for my enjoyment. Your truck could probably smoke mine with 6.4L so don’t be too sad! We prefer green tractors in my family too!

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a 8400# TT with my 6.4 with 3:73 gears. It does okay, but I bought it knowing I would be trading up to a 5th wheel in the next few years. I believe that going to 4:10, or 4:56 gears would keep my truck in 4th and 5th gear more. It will probably not help with gas mileage. I currently get 8.5 while towing my TT at 60 to 62mph. My typical annual mileage is between 5,000 to 7500 miles.
Quickster2, I'd be interested to know what your gas mileage is towing that 12,000 gooseneck and at what speed you get it.
To be honest my purchase was more about having enough truck to be able to tow a 10,000 to 11,000 dry weight 5th wheel in the future. If, I may add I added some 35" Ridge Grapplers 295 70 18s when the Firestones wore out and I like the look/stance and especially the snow traction this Winter. Maybe that effected my gas mileage somewhat, but at least I can have more smiles per mile! :))

10secBu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I've owned two diesel Ram trucks...2003 and a 2015. Just traded the 2015 in on a nearly identical 2017 6.4L hemi.

I tow an 11,500 lb enclosed car trailer, 28' box with over 1550 lbs of tongue weight. The hemi accellerates quicker off the line loaded and unloaded than the diesel. The hemi needs rpm to work where the diesel uses low rpm torque. That's the major difference. Also the diesel will lug up a hill where the hemi will need to down shift to maintain speed.

My 2015 started to bleed rust in the bed at 43k miles and Chrysler wanted to do a half ass repair to get me out of warranty. The "Dead Pedal" of the diesel drove me nuts and I couldn't get more than 18k-20k miles out of a pair of front tires. The hemi is MUCH more enjoyable to drive daily. Lighter more nimble feeling, much more peppy feel to drive.

I could no longer justify the cost of a diesel and maintenance for a daily driver that is used to tow maybe twice a month, 100 miles or less each way. Had I driven a hemi has truck years ago I doubt I would have ever bought the diesel, but I do miss the fuel mileage of the diesel.

Cougs57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
New to the forum. Just purchased a 2018 Ram 2500 Clear Coat White Laramine CC 6.4 Hemi with bench seat (was very hard to find). Boss Plow went on it already. So far I am in love with it. After driving my dads 2014 Ram 2500 5.7 (yes the 5.7 version of the 2500) it does tend to drive down the highway better and not downshift as bad. Mainly got it for plowing but I will also be pulling an enclosed trailer with snowmobiles and pallets for my business on occasion. Ordered a A&M Dryflow drop in filter for it. Ordered weathertechs front and back. I am looking into getting a winter set of rims and tires for it as I am not thrilled with the lack of traction and the fact we live up a very steap hill requiring it to be locked in going up our driveway.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
New to the forum. Just purchased a 2018 Ram 2500 Clear Coat White Laramine CC 6.4 Hemi with bench seat (was very hard to find). Boss Plow went on it already. So far I am in love with it. After driving my dads 2014 Ram 2500 5.7 (yes the 5.7 version of the 2500) it does tend to drive down the highway better and not downshift as bad. Mainly got it for plowing but I will also be pulling an enclosed trailer with snowmobiles and pallets for my business on occasion. Ordered a A&M Dryflow drop in filter for it. Ordered weathertechs front and back. I am looking into getting a winter set of rims and tires for it as I am not thrilled with the lack of traction and the fact we live up a very steap hill requiring it to be locked in going up our driveway.
Congrats and yes the factory tires are terrible on wet or snowy terrain.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
^ if you are talking about the stock firestone transforce tires, I agree with you. I bought my 2014 2500 in the winter, the day I drove it off the lot, I realized those tires were not going to cut it in the snow. They were TERRIBLE! Next day, had a set of steelies and some Goodyear ultra grip ice wrt on it.

Coming up this spring I'll have to replace the firestones with some nice summer tires. Looking at maybe bumping up to something in the 35" size but not sure if I want to level. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
^ if you are talking about the stock firestone transforce tires, I agree with you. I bought my 2014 2500 in the winter, the day I drove it off the lot, I realized those tires were not going to cut it in the snow. They were TERRIBLE! Next day, had a set of steelies and some Goodyear ultra grip ice wrt on it.

Coming up this spring I'll have to replace the firestones with some nice summer tires. Looking at maybe bumping up to something in the 35" size but not sure if I want to level. We'll see.

Yes the transforce. If you have the factory 20's I ran a 285/65r20 (34.5×11.5) without level.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Yes the transforce. If you have the factory 20's I ran a 285/65r20 (34.5×11.5) without level.

Yes, I have the factory black 20s. Good to know and thanks for the info!

Cougs57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the LT275/70R18E OWl On/Off Road Tires. We get winter tires on all of our vehicles and maybe I am a little spoiled... We do live on a very steep hill that is blacktop and it gets very slick sometimes (part of the reason for the truck so we can plow it ourselves). I am probably going to try and find some takeoffs on craigslist or something and get winters put on. Picture of how your Ram looks with the steelies? Hubcaps at least? One time up front cost and you are set for a solid 5-7 years. We have a AWD Sienna Limited and the thing just goes through everything with winters. Best decision I have ever made was getting winter tires on all the vehicles.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, just read every post. Wow. Looking to get into a used 2014 Ram 3500 SRW 6.4 Laramie with 3.73 and 75,000 miles and have some questions. (BTW I have to have ramboxes, leather front bench seat, and anti-spin rear, so it is pretty hard finding used trucks that fit the bill):

Crawled under the truck. It has some small rust spots under the floor at the seam right above the frame, but none on the rocker panels. Is rust there relatively common on 4th gens? There was also some rust on the frame (looked like more than just surface rust). I have a 3rd gen, not interested in upgrading if my truck is going to rust away again....how have the 4th gens been in this area?

Very impressed after the test drive. Compared to my 2004 hemi with 3.92 i thought the 6.4 and 3.73 was a rocket ship. Rode much smoother than i expected (my truck is riding on the Timbrens most of the time though). I get 12.5 MPG lifetime average so i'm tickled that i can expect the same in a truck that have a 4k payload and 12500 tow rating.

Are the sulastic shackles worth it? Otherwise, bilsteins are planned.

Brakes seamed a little soft. Is that just how these trucks feel?

I don't need a 3500 and would prefer a 2500, but 3500 comes with anit-spin standard which is a must. Cant seem to find ANY 4.10 with anti-spin 2500s used anywhere...

What main areas should i inspect? Hitch doesn't look like its been used much. Tailgate is a little beaten but not bad.

The center back seat leather has a goofy bubble spot, unsure if they left the sliding rear window open or if it has the leaky 3rd brake light.

Sounds like for 2014 i'll have an easier time with tuners, and 3500 has to TPMS warning so that's good

Bottom line...i can get into an HD laramie 6.4 for about the same or less than a 4th gen 1500 laramie goes for, so it is a no-brainer right? Or should i shy away from a 75k mile HD truck?

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Heh, finding a 2500 with 4.10s and anti spin (even new) is like heading off into the sunset to mine gold. Good luck lol. Seriously though, it is hard. Most dealers didn't and don't order them that way new. I custom ordered my truck with that exact set up, and bench seat. Was not going to fuss around looking for one on a lot for months. Used, you are going to have a harder time, especially if you are looking only locally. I'm hoping when I sell in the future, it will help my value. There are some big bulk Mopar dealers out there like Dennis Dillon that know how to order trucks, but that is new.

As for the question of 1500 vs HD, it is a question about what is important to you. I came from a 1500, 5.7 truck. HD trucks are built significantly more stout. The payload is night and day difference. Everything about the HD is more business-like, no nonsense. On the flip side, ride will be rougher (especially on 3500. 3500 uses rear leafs vs coil springs on 2500. This is why the 3500 has more payload). Fuel economy will be worse with the 6.4 Hemi. However those are some trade offs I was happy to make. I like the more truck like ride and feel of the 2500. I am generally getting about 2MPG less with this truck than I did in my 1500 and I don't drive the truck like a grandpa at all. In fact I probably drive it more like a muscle car than I should.

The used one you are looking at could be fine with that mileage. Have you checked the CarFax? Would help if you could post some pics of the rust. Seeing some spotty rust on them isn't going to be uncommon. But people here could give you better opinions if you can post some pics. As far as brakes, my truck is new, but the brakes feel very strong. It feels like a heavy truck, but it stops well for its weight and size. I don't feel any mush in the pedal. Pretty much perfect pedal feel for this vehicle IMO. Any info on the last brake job on that 3500 you are looking at?

What kind of price range were you looking at? Sometimes people find with these trucks, especially HD, it might be more worth it to buy new. Dennis Dillon gives huge discounts, no BS or haggling. Might be worth it in the end.

Also might want to turn that post into a specific new thread in the main HD forum. More people will probably see it.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, awesome reading. I appreciate all the info from everyone over the years and surprisingly very friendly exchanges.

I just sold my 2008 6.7 with deletes. Only had 100k but was starting to have some issues here and there that was going to start costing some serious cash. Combine that with new truck envy and here I am. Had an 03 5.7 1500 years ago. Liked the truck but hated it for towing. Sounds like the 6.4 has major improvements over that. Test drove one with 3:73 and loved the truck! I loved my diesel especially towing heavy, and would like another one but it just doesn't make sense for me. I go Missouri into CO and over some passes once a year. I never tow more than 10k usually less. Around here my wife tows her 3000lb bumper pull horse trailer and a single horse. Like many on here, pencil to paper the gas engine is best suited for my needs and pocketbook. I've been on both sides of gas vs diesel, these new diesel trucks are down right scary to own outside of warranty. Add to that fuel filters, higher cost fuel and potentially fuel additives, 2 batteries, urea, wear & tear on suspension components and tires, if not deleted then EGR cleanings, 9k higher cost, etc... If I towed heavy even once a month for much distance at all it would be worth it, but I don't.

So I ordered a 2018 6.4 Big Horn 4:10 Sport Appearance (BLK wheels), Luxury Group, Off road package, and the 8.4 stereo in bright white. Got the VON # today. Some of the posts down right scare me on here, but go type in ford 6.2 tick. Or ecoboost blown head gasket. Forums are filled with those who are addicted to knowledge about their machine, and those that had s*** go wrong and need answers or just want to complain about it. I don't see any more issues with these than anything else really.

Also as an update, they did another Ike Guantlet with a power wagon. 9k behind it. Went right up the pull at 60 MPH. Was floored some but some lifting here and there. That was some redemption in my mind especially with the heavier tires. I don't go over the Eisenhower, but hoping the passes I do hit give me similar results to their last pull. Will make some updates when it shows up and I drive it.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 6.4 does just fine, it had some issues early on, but that was 4 years ago. My only gripe with the truck over all is gears. Really need a 456 or 488. My truck has loud injectors but I am working on getting that sorted.

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I went from a 1500 hemi to a Cummins
Had a lot of trouble
Got this 17 2500 with the 6.4
I can honestly say
I hate nothing about this truck
it is a tradesman but my Cummins was a Laramie and once the new wore off I didn't use half the stuff it was equipped with
So when I decided to trade it in I down graded to the tradesman
In a year
I have put a magnaflow muffler
Line x bedliner
Wheels
Tint
Got some damage from a carport hitting it in a storm
And new quarter stickers
At 14k miles I am very happy with the truck
In summer I have averaged up to 17 mpg now winter I average about 14
No issues this far

777C8EC0-3BA3-4B5C-A86D-A269DD505E8D.jpeg

030AA457-705A-4A42-B85F-703E4FD9CA82.jpeg

8B53247D-D753-48F1-B005-F8F848BBF03C.jpeg

A3FAB43A-4CF4-42CC-96FA-8CF5B5F7A03A.jpeg

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went from a 1500 hemi to a Cummins
Had a lot of trouble
Got this 17 2500 with the 6.4
I can honestly say
I hate nothing about this truck
it is a tradesman but my Cummins was a Laramie and once the new wore off I didn't use half the stuff it was equipped with
So when I decided to trade it in I down graded to the tradesman
In a year
I have put a magnaflow muffler
Line x bedliner
Wheels
Tint
Got some damage from a carport hitting it in a storm
And new quarter stickers
At 14k miles I am very happy with the truck
In summer I have averaged up to 17 mpg now winter I average about 14
No issues this far

View attachment 119229

View attachment 119230

View attachment 119231

View attachment 119232

Great looking truck.

CaliContractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 and 2018
Engine
5.9 and 6.4
Hello Fine Folks,

Just picked up a new 2018 6.4 2500 CC 4x4 with laramie trim. Pretty huge comfort upgrade coming from a 2003 5.9 slt.

Was hit at 160k with a full fuel system rebuild on the 5.9 when my cp3 grenaded and sent what looked like silver glitter through my fuel system. Having hard start issues again at 230k and decided I was done with Diesels in Cali for the time being.

I only tow a 20 FT Northriver seahawk boat to the ocean and mountain lakes and the 6.4 should do just fine in that regard. So far at 200 miles things are going good but I do get this occasional thunk sound on a downshift while slowing down.