The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My "drone" completely went away when I disabled the MDS with the Diablo. It made a world of difference with the drivability! I don't care what the half-ton-ers say, it's obvious when it kicks in, in the 3/4T. It was more noticeable with the Mufflex, but that's gone now

Oh, you can certainly tell. It sounds like a helicopter is buzzing around up to 68-ish mph. Then up to 73-ish it sounds like a single engine airplane is following me. It's not loud, but I notice it. I'm not willing to turn it off since I do so many highway miles.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Oh, you can certainly tell. It sounds like a helicopter is buzzing around up to 68-ish mph. Then up to 73-ish it sounds like a single engine airplane is following me. It's not loud, but I notice it. I'm not willing to turn it off since I do so many highway miles.

Mine rarely kicks on at those speeds but you can definitely notice it. You notice it even more though around 45 mph, mine shakes the whole truck when it is on.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I love the quiet refinement of the 6.4L stock. Coming from a modified 7.3L diesel with 4" downpipe, wicked wheel and 5" Magnaflow I'll take this any day. While the torque and power are obviously different, I had a 3hr maximum in my diesel rig with that thing pounding away at 70mph. My wife can actually talk to me in th Ram without shouting.....that is new to us when towing.

For a few measly HP somewhere in the dyno spectrum, I'm not sure any of the "mods" available for the 6.4L currently would be worth it to me or dealing with any warranty ******** because of them.

I'm also thinking that if I find myself needing more power than the stock 6.4 is putting down, I should probably go back to diesel.....but I don't want to deal with all the new problem points as they age.....not to mention the $10K purchase penalty....

That being said I will be curious when 7510derrick tows his 5er to see if there is drone etc.
I am basically with you, I don't want noise, BUT I would like for it to sound like a V-8 at idle, not a hair dryer. I had an '04 Chebby with the 8.1/Ally. The stock exhaust had a nice V-8 "burble" at idle, but was not the least bit noisy going down the road or towing. The truck was junk, but it sounded good:roflsquared: My loud pipe days are loooooooong gone.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Mine rarely kicks on at those speeds but you can definitely notice it. You notice it even more though around 45 mph, mine shakes the whole truck when it is on.

Stock Firestone HTs and 4.10s. If mine looked like yours, it probably wouldn't either. Yes, at lower speeds the mirrors are shaking like like I have a 15 installed in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Stock Firestone HTs and 4.10s. If mine looked like yours, it probably wouldn't either. Yes, at lower speeds the mirrors are shaking like like I have a 15 installed in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you might have me confused, I have 3.73's but stock Firestone a/t's... Or at least I did until this last week.

ammo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I am basically with you, I don't want noise, BUT I would like for it to sound like a V-8 at idle, not a hair dryer. I had an '04 Chebby with the 8.1/Ally. The stock exhaust had a nice V-8 "burble" at idle, but was not the least bit noisy going down the road or towing. The truck was junk, but it sounded good:roflsquared: My loud pipe days are loooooooong gone.
That's why I wanted to go with the Flo-Pro, still quiet in the cab, but a good out back when I get on it. I feel the dual 3 inch inlet really helped the truck.

mikeysotp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 - 4.10s Baby!
That's why I wanted to go with the Flo-Pro, still quiet in the cab, but a good out back when I get on it. I feel the dual 3 inch inlet really helped the truck.

Yeah well I called your guys today to get that system shipped out and they said they don't do that. He also chuckled when he said good luck finding a similar setup somewhere else. He said I should make the trip there.

OK, $1400 for them to do it. Round trip from CT to Texas. They want 3 days to do it. Hotel. Rental car. Expenses. Uhhhhhhhhh, I don't think I'm gonna blow a week and about 3 grand for exhaust.

ammo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yeah well I called your guys today to get that system shipped out and they said they don't do that. He also chuckled when he said good luck finding a similar setup somewhere else. He said I should make the trip there.

OK, $1400 for them to do it. Round trip from CT to Texas. They want 3 days to do it. Hotel. Rental car. Expenses. Uhhhhhhhhh, I don't think I'm gonna blow a week and about 3 grand for exhaust.
3 days? That's one hell of an exhaust. Just buy the muffler and have it done at a local reputable shop.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
any compitant muffler shop can give u what ever set up u want, as long as it is cat back it should no way be more than 1 grand and half a day at best.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel

I would find a good muffler shop close to home.

No muffler system is worth $1400 bucks.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I love the quiet refinement of the 6.4L stock. Coming from a modified 7.3L diesel with 4" downpipe, wicked wheel and 5" Magnaflow I'll take this any day. While the torque and power are obviously different, I had a 3hr maximum in my diesel rig with that thing pounding away at 70mph. My wife can actually talk to me in th Ram without shouting.....that is new to us when towing.

For a few measly HP somewhere in the dyno spectrum, I'm not sure any of the "mods" available for the 6.4L currently would be worth it to me or dealing with any warranty ******** because of them.

I'm also thinking that if I find myself needing more power than the stock 6.4 is putting down, I should probably go back to diesel.....but I don't want to deal with all the new problem points as they age.....not to mention the $10K purchase penalty....

That being said I will be curious when 7510derrick tows his 5er to see if there is drone etc.

What rear end gearing do you have?

Im with you, I love how the truck sounds. Who wants all that racket following them around every time you drive the truck? Yeah, I had noisy duals on my truck in 1981, but then I graduated HS and grew up..... :naughty:

Boy you make me feel older than dirt :baby:

Still haven't ordered the new truck, We are going to get a 2016.

If you remember we wanted a Power Wagon, well being as we can't get some of the options we want, we are going for a BigHorn. But the more I look I want the Laramie.
Hope you all and a Great Memorial Day.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What rear end gearing do you have?

3.73s

I bought my truck with 17K miles on it as I fell in love with the Longhorn etc. It had 3.73s, if I had ordered one new I would have gone with 4.10s. But honestly, after I towed with the 3.73s, I'm fine with them, no issues.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank You

mikeysotp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 - 4.10s Baby!
3 days? That's one hell of an exhaust. Just buy the muffler and have it done at a local reputable shop.

The problem is that the muffler they use is proprietary to them and they won't ship it.

He said to just come down for a few days, maybe he didn't mean they would have the truck that long. He did say everything they do is custom though.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Boy you make me feel older than dirt :baby:

Still haven't ordered the new truck, We are going to get a 2016.

If you remember we wanted a Power Wagon, well being as we can't get some of the options we want, we are going for a BigHorn. But the more I look I want the Laramie.

Hope you all and a Great Memorial Day.

I guess you are only as old as you feel, right? Or whats that saying, "Youre only as old as the women you feel? " :naughty:

Yep I remember the PW thing, I think you will love getting a BH or Laramie ! So far this truck is doing fine, Im not thrilled about that stupid 'clunk' issue, and waiting to see if the aftermarket-guys will create a replacement piece. Since its not safety related, no way in hell RAM is gonna fess up and recall these trucks back to fix the issue.

Memorial Weekend was a monsoon, we are having record breaking floods. :sad72:

Tim Cope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys I hate to be a PITA but someone posted a link very early in this thread to Dodge where you could give them your VIN and get your build sheet e-mailed to you. I had it saved but due to a 'puter crash I lost it.

I have looked high and low and now can't find it. Does anyone have it saved?
Thanks in advance.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hey guys I hate to be a PITA but someone posted a link very early in this thread to Dodge where you could give them your VIN and get your build sheet e-mailed to you. I had it saved but due to a 'puter crash I lost it.

I have looked high and low and now can't find it. Does anyone have it saved?
Thanks in advance.

Here you go:

Dodge - Contact Us

Click on the "Equipment Listing" link on the left, then go from there.

Tim Cope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks, even someone as tec. stupid as me made it through that. If it hadn't of been for the heads up to go to the equip. listing I would have been dead in the water.