The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Congrats Olli. So you took matters into your own hands, way to go. I like the color and wheels.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Thanks guys. I will be picking it up later today from the dealer.

Picking it up directly from the Port was a decision made between the dealer and RAM. The truck had been sitting at the Port since 3/6. The dealer also had another truck sitting there as well. They said that they would have someone drive mine back and to that I said " I would rather drive my truck". They replied with "no problem". So I drove down to the port with a couple of the dealership "swap drivers". Nice guys. It is their retirement jobs. I will say the storage yard at the Port is massive and there are a lot of trucks there and no, there was not a bunch of haulers being loaded with RAMS. I think that my truck would have sat there for a few more weeks. All in all going down to the port was a fun experience.

Olli

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nice Olli I bet your happy its about time huh

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Wow, one day prep out of storage eh? My trailer is about the same and I had no issues either two weeks ago, revved to 3500 rpm now and then. I'll look fwd to your mpg dropping below mine on Fuelly :) Have fun.

Well, we made it. Spent the first half of the day climbing through a rain/snow mix with a nasty cross wind. Spent most of the second half driving through a head wind so strong that it took pedal to maintain 60mph going down hill. Overall mpg is mid 8, or thereabouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skchevota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Congrats on the truck Ollie .
I don't think I posted my return mileage . 800mi home , lots of snow, wind, rain, and fog. Many passes and lots or 80mph stretches . Overall average 16.6 mpg

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Congrats on the truck Ollie .
I don't think I posted my return mileage . 800mi home , lots of snow, wind, rain, and fog. Many passes and lots or 80mph stretches . Overall average 16.6 mpg

Huh? you'd better get your truck in for a new EVIC or do some hand calcs. These are great trucks but you're not going to get 16+ MPG going 80mph in wind and mountain passes.

I'm lucky to get 16.5 rolling down a flat freeway at 60MPH. Again... great trucks but something is missing here. I'm not trying to start a flame war but can you explain a bit about how your mileage was calculated??

fwiw - I've hand calculated all my fill-ups and found my EVIC is about 15% more optimistic than what is actually happening (so maybe I need to get in for mine to be replaced :) )

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Huh? you'd better get your truck in for a new EVIC or do some hand calcs. These are great trucks but you're not going to get 16+ MPG going 80mph in wind and mountain passes.

I'm lucky to get 16.5 rolling down a flat freeway at 60MPH. Again... great trucks but something is missing here. I'm not trying to start a flame war but can you explain a bit about how your mileage was calculated??

fwiw - I've hand calculated all my fill-ups and found my EVIC is about 15% more optimistic than what is actually happening (so maybe I need to get in for mine to be replaced :) )

For me, EVIC trip meters are less optimistic or right on, but the "Fuel Economy" screen is more optimistic than hand calc.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
For me, EVIC trip meters are less optimistic or right on, but the "Fuel Economy" screen is more optimistic than hand calc.

Same here. I've hand calculated every tank, and the trip meters have been within 2 tenths. The instant seems to be on the happy side.

Skchevota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My mileage was hand calculated. The EVIC was pretty close. The instant mpg is good to remind you to me your foot up when you see single digits.
Now my return trip was east bound on i80 from Boise to Fort Collins area . The mountain passes are fairley mild , as in gradual up to 8500 feet or so over the devide. I was hitting 80mph quite a bit but also had times at 55 due to poor weather . The wind was a bit of a cross/ tail wind on the way back. On the way out the 40+ mph head wind netted me 12.8 mpg.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Same here. I've hand calculated every tank, and the trip meters have been within 2 tenths. The instant seems to be on the happy side.

Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Finally filled the tank up again last night.
**Note - 87 octane used. Also this tank consisted of a complete mixture of driving... highway, town, hills, flat, playing around.

I went 304.8 miles, and it took 26.25 gallons to fill up.
304.8 / 26.25 = 11.6 mpg.

Here's a pic of the EVIC, parked at the fuel pump prior to re-fueling. :emotions34:

fuelmileageevic_zps83b3f550.jpg

I refueled with 89 octane.

Time to set up a "Fuelie.com" account and track this motha.

nascamper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ordered my truck 2 weeks today and this morning I received an email that my truck has shipped! Based on what I've been reading here I guess I shouldn't get too excited, because now is when the real waiting starts...

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered my truck 2 weeks today and this morning I received an email that my truck has shipped! Based on what I've been reading here I guess I shouldn't get too excited, because now is when the real waiting starts...

Congratulations! The part of the country that you live in has a lot to do with shipping times. The SW and California seem to be OK. I haven't heard much from the mid-west. Atlantic coast, expect a minimum of 3 weeks. Mine was at week 7 of transit time before RAM let the dealer (I went with the dealer) pick up my truck from the Baltimore Port storage yard. I have no doubt that it would have remained there for a couple more weeks. Lack of car haulers is the issue.

I just did not like the look of the exposed muffler (or is it actually a resonator?) at the rear. Fixed it!

Olli

DSCN0361_zps1cff7e83.jpg

DSCN0394_zps695e2dc6.jpg

PTCTreeGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none, why can't
Engine
these be blank
That looks great, what did you use?

I'm still torn between an EcoDiesel 1500 for the mileage and borrowing my dad's 350 if I need payload or a 2500 6.4 and eating the fuel costs. Either way Outdoorsman trim with single exhaust and that black paint would look perfect

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cleaned it with wax and grease remover first. 1 coat of high heat black on the muffler. Let dry to the touch. Then sprayed Eastwood's satin black chassis paint (extreme version) on the muffler and the tailpipe.

Olli

PTCTreeGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none, why can't
Engine
these be blank
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I finally decide on a truck. The 6.4 payload and power is really pulling on me and it's actually a little cheaper than a 1500 EcoDiesel with the same equipment, minus what's not available on a 1500. But 28 mpg on diesel against maybe 15 on the 6.4 and 100 mile commute a day makes it TOUGH.

I have seen a $200 item on some 2500 Outdoorsman for remote start but didn't see it on truecar or RamTrucks.com. Has anyone ordered it or seen it on a 2500?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have seen a $200 item on some 2500 Outdoorsman for remote start but didn't see it on truecar or RamTrucks.com. Has anyone ordered it or seen it on a 2500?

My Outdoorsman came with remote start and I believe most of that trim level do. I can start my truck or do any other functions of the key fob from anywhere with a smart phone app.

fwiw, my mpg after 1500 miles with a mix of driving that includes a lot of highway miles is about 12.5 - I can get as high as 15/16 if I'm on a flat highway and keep my foot out of it. From reading people's reports on internet forums I expected a little better but still love the truck. I'm coming from a diesel and liked the peppiness of the 6.4 over the Cummins when I test drove them back to back.

If I towed more I'd be sorry I didn't get the Cummins. The fact that my company pays for most of my fuel helps too. If I was footing the bill I think I'd be disappointed. The 6.4 gets good mpg considering the weight and HP but the mileage is still pretty poor in the end.

kohldad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Oh NO! I've reached the end of the thread and haven't had all my questions answered yet. Though did learn a lot of info and been impressed with the reviews.

Currently have a 2004.5 3500 CTD SRW 4x4 NV5600 with 170k miles. Did my own dealer-dealer shuttle so it only had 7 miles on it when I started driving it. Been thinking about a new truck as I would like to move over to an auto so the wife can help with the driving. Started looking last year, but when heard the Dodge was coming out with the 6.4, decided to wait a year.

One thing that has surprised me is that even with the engine being out for 6 months, I cannot find a torque curve for the engine. See the 429ft/lb rating, but have no idea about the rest of the performance. I was disappointed in reading that trucks over 10,000 GVW have the detuned engine with only 379 hp. This means all 3500 series truck have the detuned engine.

Would love another CTD, but since I only have a 3,000# truck camper and occasionally pulling a 2,500# boat, doesn't make sense to worry about expensive diesel long term repairs. I only plan on keeping this truck until 100k miles, then will sell to one of my daughters so they will need to afford the repair.

Seems like the 3500 w/4.10s will work well (once I get over the mpgs, or lack there of). Currently get ~14-15 mpg with my current setup running about 60mph, so if I could get 10-11 mpg with the 6.4 would be happy.

Have not had a chance to actually go look at the new Dodges yet due to time constraints, but will finally have the time in a couple more weeks. Maybe two questions could be answered in the meantime.

First, is everyone is talking about the height of the trucks. How much taller is the 2014 over the 2004 (both being 4x4)?

Other thing is does anyone know if the electric shift for the transfer case can be deleted from the SLT model? Would really prefer to get the split rear bench seat, but prefer the manual shift on the transfer case because when I need it is not the time to find out the solenoids failed. Other option would be how hard is it to convert the electric shift back to manual?