Throttle Body Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Earl Carothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Small Block Mopar Magnum
I've recently had my 1994 5.9L Magnum completely overhauled (rebuilt), been bored over by .030, we've cut the runners down on the intake. Direct Connection computers, cold air intake, few other small upgrades, nothing fancy.
I'm looking for a performance throttle body to replace the OEM, not looking for anything overly extensive, just a step up in the sense. The one's I've found on the internet are said to be for 1996 and up, not saying anything about 1994 compatibility.
Was hoping that if someone would know if those would mount to the intake on a 1994, or if anything would change as to where they wouldn't mount up to the intake or TPS/IAC?? Or if someone could point me in the direction as to where to look??

Thank you!

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Different years used different linkage types. When buying a throttle body, make sure to get one that fits your year range, otherwise you're going to have modify stuff that, well, doesn't really need to be modified, LOL.

I purchased a modified 50mm from a guy on eBay a few years ago for something like $120. He only charged something like $10 for a core, so I just kept my original throttle body (which is currently sitting in a box with a damaged throttle shaft and stripped plate screws, long story). Last I checked, he wasn't selling on eBay anymore but there may be others who sell modified throttle bodies.

A straight-punched 50mm will work great on an otherwise stock engine. The factory throttle bodies start at 50mm but taper down to 48mm, presumably to create a venturi effect, which, while sound engineering for a carburetor or throttle body injection, provides absolutely zero benefit on an MPI fuel-injected engine. Fuel atomization is handled by the intake ports in our engines, hence, there is no need for a venturi at the throttle body, and the runner design of the kegger does a fine job of generating flow velocity for low-end torque/throttle response.

If you're going to do some exhaust work and add a tune, a 52mm is said to provide increased benefits. The only reason I'm not running one is, well, I've got too much other stuff to fix to justify buying one, LOL. F&B Throttle Body makes some sweet units and come in a variety of sizes, but they are $$$ with a loud ka-ching!

Reactions: Mop