Thuren Suspension for 6.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramessesII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Heard from Thuren that they will be launching 2015+ 6.4-specific coils in a few weeks.

It has been frustrating looking for a premium suspension solution for the 6.4L. Plenty of people just run the diesel specific coils/suspension, but with the weight difference, you might get a an overly stiff ride. I've ridden in a 2014 Cummins with a Thuren setup and it was impressive.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've been very happy with his track bar, made a big improvement over the factory setup. I assume his springs will have a lift similar to the Cummins stuff. Also assume you would really need to address the shocks, sway bars, etc along with the springs at this point. As you said, a full suspension system.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now if we could convince them to make a performance lowering spring.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I ran Don's front springs, control arms, bumpstops, and trac bar along with Carli progressive leafs and resi shocks on my 2010 Cummins, and I absolutely loved it. Ride was very nice on the street for such a big truck, and it had some crazy wheel travel for only being a mild 3" lift.

DSCF9915.jpg

Chuck14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Is there a difference in the 2014 and 2015+ 6.4L suspension?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is there a difference in the 2014 and 2015+ 6.4L suspension?

Just in the springs since you're probably dropping 800-1000lbs off the front end.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have Thuren rear springs and his overland rear shocks (later to upgrade to Kings) -LOVE IT!!

Right now I'm waiting for my custom front Kings from Thuren.

As for the front coils, Don received last week in his shop his 3" front coils specifically made for our 6.4L gas trucks! He will double check the height and in a day or two will be postin em up for sale. Those springs will be so revolutionary for gas trucks....Can't wait!

Thuren FTW!

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Plenty of people just run the diesel specific coils/suspension, but with the weight difference, you might get a an overly stiff ride.

thuren diesel coils are softer then your gas coils. the ride will not be stiffer. it is great that they are coming out with a gas specific coil though.

OP
OP
ramessesII

ramessesII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
"thuren diesel coils are softer then your gas coils. the ride will not be stiffer. it is great that they are coming out with a gas specific coil though."

Hmm, that wouldn't make sense to me. Diesels are heavier, therefore they'd need a stiffer coil spring rate. Gassers, being lighter have less force available to compress the spring, so need a softer rate. Rate being the amount of energy needed to compress the spring one inch. That's how I understand it, anyway.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
"thuren diesel coils are softer then your gas coils. the ride will not be stiffer. it is great that they are coming out with a gas specific coil though."

Hmm, that wouldn't make sense to me. Diesels are heavier, therefore they'd need a stiffer coil spring rate. Gassers, being lighter have less force available to compress the spring, so need a softer rate. Rate being the amount of energy needed to compress the spring one inch. That's how I understand it, anyway.

that is correct for the OEM springs (gas vs diesel). however, we are talking about aftermarket springs. thuren diesel coils are much softer then OEM diesel coils, softer then your OEM gas springs, and even softer then OEM power wagon springs.

you can run the diesel coils. they will be softer then what you have stock, but you will get more lift then advertised since they were designed and marketed to be under a much heavier motor.

Last edited:

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
that is correct for the OEM springs (gas vs diesel). however, we are talking about aftermarket springs. thuren diesel coils are much softer then OEM diesel coils, softer then your OEM gas springs, and even softer then OEM power wagon springs.

you can run the diesel coils. they will be softer then what you have stock, but you will get more lift then advertised since they were designed and marketed to be under a much heavier motor.

About Thuren diesel springs being softer than OEM gas springs, have u tried them out personally? or are u basing that on lb/inch numbers? If so, I believe thuren diesel springs are 390lb/inch, so whats the springs rate for OEM gas trucks? I couldnt find that info online.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ I actually spoke with a shop yesterday about this- They are waiting for their Thuran springs to come in and test- I asked about just using the diesel coils and he advised against it- They did a power wagon and with the added weight it still rode stiff. U got to remember it's not just this motor weighs X and this motor weighs X- There are a lot more components and extras for the diesel motor- I.e.- 2nd Batery - Just something to think about- I to want to go the Thuran route- I just can't afford the carli

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
About Thuren diesel springs being softer than OEM gas springs, have u tried them out personally? or are u basing that on lb/inch numbers? If so, I believe thuren diesel springs are 390lb/inch, so whats the springs rate for OEM gas trucks? I couldnt find that info online.

thuren diesel springs are 390 lb/in. 2014+ power wagon springs are about 450 lb/in. i dont know the exact spring rates of regular 6.4 springs but they are stiffer then power wagon springs. i dont think its a big difference though. i could swear i remember reading that there was a 10 lb/in difference but dont quote me on that. i think the biggest difference in ride quality comes from the use of a linear spring rate as opposed to the progressive rate that regular gas coils use.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don stated his diesel coils were 10% softer than PW coils. CJC installed a Carli kit using Thuren front Diesel coils and Carli rear on a 2015 PW. CJC said the Thuren coils road pretty well. Further, for years the PW crowd has been running Thuren diesel coils of various lengths.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
^ I actually spoke with a shop yesterday about this- They are waiting for their Thuran springs to come in and test- I asked about just using the diesel coils and he advised against it- They did a power wagon and with the added weight it still rode stiff. U got to remember it's not just this motor weighs X and this motor weighs X- There are a lot more components and extras for the diesel motor- I.e.- 2nd Batery - Just something to think about- I to want to go the Thuran route- I just can't afford the carli

thats the opposite of what the guys on the power wagon forum are saying about thuren diesel coils. even Don said his diesel coils should offer a better ride then OEM power wagon coils, he just hasnt personally tested it yet to give a definitive answer to recommend them.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
thats the opposite of what the guys on the power wagon forum are saying about thuren diesel coils. even Don said his diesel coils should offer a better ride then OEM power wagon coils, he just hasnt personally tested it yet to give a definitive answer to recommend them.

Actually that is Don's opinion; compared to how the diesel trucks ride his diesel coils in a Power Wagon will still feel stiff. The diesel coils may be softer than the stock PW coils but still stiff compared to the proper gas coil.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Actually that is Don's opinion; compared to how the diesel trucks ride his diesel coils in a Power Wagon will still feel stiff. The diesel coils may be softer than the stock PW coils but still stiff compared to the proper gas coil.

correct. the proper gas coils are not available yet though (from thuren at least). that would be the ideal set up though. my point was that the diesel coils would offer a better ride then what is stock in gas trucks, contrary to what was stated by the OP.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
correct. the proper gas coils are not available yet though (from thuren at least). that would be the ideal set up though. my point was that the diesel coils would offer a better ride then what is stock in gas trucks, contrary to what was stated by the OP.

Don HAS the proper gas coils in his shop. You can buy them by calling him. I ordered mine.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
thuren diesel springs are 390 lb/in. 2014+ power wagon springs are about 450 lb/in. i dont know the exact spring rates of regular 6.4 springs but they are stiffer then power wagon springs. i dont think its a big difference though. i could swear i remember reading that there was a 10 lb/in difference but dont quote me on that. i think the biggest difference in ride quality comes from the use of a linear spring rate as opposed to the progressive rate that regular gas coils use.

450? thats a spine breaker. Thuren gas coils are 330lb/in. Will be amazing once installed. Anyone who is going for Thuren or any other soft suspension, I highly recommend getting Thuren's boogie bumps. I hit my factory bumpstop with thuren rear coils and it was too much of a jolt.