Ticking at idle and knock retard while accelerating from a stop.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

chaten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well. Taking your knock sensors offloading them hooked up and tie them up to see if your knock retard goes away is a good way to rule out wiring.

Ryan Plawucki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leave them hooked up tho? Just remove them from the block basically is what your saying? I looked for that video but couldn't find it about the corroded engine harness.

OP
OP
C

chaten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
https://youtube.com/@PhillipBailey. Ya take them out of the block with them still hooked up, but secure them So they don't shake around or hit anything but temporarily of course, just to see if the retard goes away. I haven't done this yet. I guess your can came with the phaser lock and block off caps for mds too?
It's odd because it tick until it's fully warmed up and then it's basically gone. Loud fuel injectors tho.

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you worried about the tick or the timing retard? If the retard goes away when at temperature I wouldn't worry about it cold, the pcm is just doing its job. Some of these engines are just noisy.

OP
OP
C

chaten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone keeps saying "these engines are just noisy" and that's just garbage, something a dealership says to avoid doing work. Hesitation will come under load, towing a trailer or taking off from a stop or both ( sometimes not always) the noise mostly goes when hot.

Ryan Plawucki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes mine came with the phazer locks and plugs aswell Chaten. I got his upgraded pushrods and the valve springs. My cam hadn't failed i just had destroyed my 3rd transmission in the truck and just wanted to do the cam since my last transmission had lasted 500km and the truck just couldn't eat anymore cash for a bit. I just bought bunch of parts over time as i looked for my 46rh. Ended up finding 2 46rhs in 2wd one diesel one gas. So put the guts of the diesel trans in the gas one with a 2800 stall edge torque converter and the cope racing full manual valve body. I ordered this truck in 2011 when i was just 20 years old. so a cam was just Somthing iv always dreamed of doing not something i had to do. Engine ran fantastic befor. Just normal hemi tic.

I guess id say im worried about the tic being my cause of the knock. You can noticeably feel it pulling timing. I certainly dont think i should get near 13°s. And us who have talked to jay know he can be a man of many words when you got a question for him. Or i just am anoying because i keep sending him logs because the truck runs like a pile. Its not like i only sent 1 or 2 logs to the guy. Just seems like this thing is making less power then it did before. It feels like hes pulled so much out of it to keep it under control. So not wanting to bother him with every single question i have, i figured i should ask some people with experience on the internet. It's not like im truly getting a custom tune from him. I just want to cover my bases and ask other people with experience. Its a noisy engine cant always be the explanation. The 4 speed cant have made it that much of a dog. If only that trans would have lasted another year or 2 till you forum guys started doing 8 speed swaps. I would have definitely went that route. I feel a honda civic would give me a run for my money and thats embarrassing. I just appreciate the help from the members

OP
OP
C

chaten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I wish I had an answer as I've been chasing this since last summer. I see the timing being pulled on my scanner, my cam and lifters didn't fail but I tore the engine apart to find this hesitation problem. When I put it back together I put the new cam lifters and pushrods, valves and rockers in I also changes mds solenoids in.

I put the stethoscope on my left knock sensor and it matches the tick exactly. I'm trying to believe it's not internal but running out of Hope.