Time for a change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_tK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been a long time Ford guy &’ been in the market for a new pickup for quite some time. My co workers all drive Rams and have told me nothing but great things about their trucks. However, my knowledge isn’t the brightest. I would be doing light duty work at home, on the farm and putting highway miles in. I’ve been looking into ‘13-‘16 model years. How’s the reliability and maintenance? Anything I should about? I just don’t think I could go back to a ford after I’ve test driven a couple rams. Thanks for the insight in advance.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Don't overlook the V6 pentastar. Research cam lifter failure in the hemi. Pointing this out so you can make an informed decision. That being said, love my 16 with hemi and 3:92 gear ratio. I have the pentastar in my Wrangler. If you look .at a 13, I would want the 8 speed and 100000 mile spark plugs. Some 13s still have the 6 speed trans and 30000 mile plug change. Good luck with your search.

Friedchicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just switched from fords. This is my first ram, I went with the 4.7, not sure if that's available in the year range you're looking at. I've had it for almost 2 months now, so I dont know too much about rams yet, but I already wish I would've went with a hemi power wise. 4.7 still has good power if i romp it. But it sucks up hills.....that might just be mine tho, kinda high mileage. Just my $.02

OEDRO

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will find your perfect ram.

512RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been a long time Ford guy &’ been in the market for a new pickup for quite some time. My co workers all drive Rams and have told me nothing but great things about their trucks. However, my knowledge isn’t the brightest. I would be doing light duty work at home, on the farm and putting highway miles in. I’ve been looking into ‘13-‘16 model years. How’s the reliability and maintenance? Anything I should about? I just don’t think I could go back to a ford after I’ve test driven a couple rams. Thanks for the insight in advance.
I made the switch as well. 3 dead fords changed me. F250 w/400k on the clock was the last straw. 3 hpops later.

No regrets from me.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get an 8 speed....for sure. I have a '17 Rebel model with the 3.92 gears and love it.

I taken several long trips in it so far.... Minnesota to:

Banff/Jasper National Parks in Canada (Alberta/BC)
Key West Florida
Southern California
Northern Alabama

While the mileage isn't the best in my model (larger tires) I get about 18-19 on the highway. I didn't buy it for good mileage though....so comfortable and rides like a dream.

I was a Ford guy for 20 years...albeit cars, not trucks. Once I came over to Dodge and the Hemi's I'll never go back. I owned a '14 Durango R/T before my Ram pickup.

Get a '14-'16 8 speed with the Hemi (although the V6 is a great engine too).

One last thing to look into is the Ram Box. You have to decide how much storage you want...and how much you'll use the bed for transporting items. If you need the bed room you may not want the Ram Box...BUT...if you don't use the bed alot the Ram Box is awesome for extra storage. I absolutely LOVE my Ram Boxes. I still have plenty of room in the bed for transporting stuff but get to keep alot of small things out of the way in the Ram Box.

Good luck!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go Hemi and 8-speed. In my opinion having owned both 3.21 and 3.92 gears it doesn't make a difference in passing speed, made a difference when lifted acceleration off the line, so if I were looking again I would hesitate for either.

My 2014 Hemi 8 speed, 3.21 gears was quick and perfect all 100k miles I owned it. Only thing that ever went wrong was the fuel level sensor. Was an easy fix.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've had the 3.55/6sp Ram a 3.21/8sp and my current 3.92/8sp. Of the 3 the 3.92/8 is my favorite followed by the 3.21/8. I didn't like the 6 speed Ram so traded it in. The only issue I had with any of them was an ECM was glitchy and got it replaced under warranty. Good Luck in you search.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One last thing to look into is the Ram Box. You have to decide how much storage you want...and how much you'll use the bed for transporting items. If you need the bed room you may not want the Ram Box...BUT...if you don't use the bed alot the Ram Box is awesome for extra storage. I absolutely LOVE my Ram Boxes. I still have plenty of room in the bed for transporting stuff but get to keep alot of small things out of the way in the Ram Box.

I second and third the RamBox mention...those things rock! They hold so much stuff my driver's side 'box sits mostly empty except for road trips. The emergency equipment lives in the passenger side 'box since that's the side that'll be easiest to access when you're pulled over. I haven't modded mine nor did I get that rather pricey RamBox Cargo Management Kit, but the sky's the limit for these things...I'll never have a truck without it, that's for sure.

TXCOMT

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just switched from fords. This is my first ram, I went with the 4.7, not sure if that's available in the year range you're looking at. I've had it for almost 2 months now, so I dont know too much about rams yet, but I already wish I would've went with a hemi power wise. 4.7 still has good power if i romp it. But it sucks up hills.....that might just be mine tho, kinda high mileage. Just my $.02

Sorry to burst your bubble but that’s the way the 4.7 is and not much to change it. I had one in my 04 1500 and didn’t have much get up and go. Just the lack of power in the engine unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk