Time to Put a Lot of Money in 5.7 Hemi (cam & lifters)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iiplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I was hoping I would be one of the few lucky ones but it’s now my time to dig deep into the little savings account. 138K hemi miles started to miss and shake when I accelerated. Verdict was warn cam lobes. Replacing cam, lifters, head job, better valve springs and seals? new exhaust manifold bolts. There ought to be a class action lawsuit for this poor design and subpar parts. Too many guys are experiencing this.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry to hear it, gl with the outcome and I certainly agree with you. But we need to hurt FCA where it counts, the pocket book. Buy old rams and fix them up, never spend 50k on a truck that dime to donuts will have issues and fca will leave you hanging.

Funny FCA moved the eco diesels to heavier oil due to over whelming bearing damage within that lineup, but they literally can't do the same with the 5.7 because in order to do so they would have to admit they were lying abut the mds requiring 20 weight oil, plus give up fuel economy credits from the EPA. I wonder how many of these would have been prevented by using a 30 weight oil.

gl buddy

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear it, gl with the outcome and I certainly agree with you. But we need to hurt FCA where it counts, the pocket book. Buy old rams and fix them up, never spend 50k on a truck that dime to donuts will have issues and fca will leave you hanging.

Funny FCA moved the eco diesels to heavier oil due to over whelming bearing damage within that lineup, but they literally can't do the same with the 5.7 because in order to do so they would have to admit they were lying abut the mds requiring 20 weight oil, plus give up fuel economy credits from the EPA. I wonder how many of these would have been prevented by using a 30 weight oil.

gl buddy

Going to be awhile before there is enough data to see if 5/30 prevents the cam lifter failure. I don't know if any has 100000+ miles on red line yet.

Steelerdave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I was hoping I would be one of the few lucky ones but it’s now my time to dig deep into the little savings account. 138K hemi miles started to miss and shake when I accelerated. Verdict was warn cam lobes. Replacing cam, lifters, head job, better valve springs and seals? new exhaust manifold bolts. There ought to be a class action lawsuit for this poor design and subpar parts. Too many guys are experiencing this.

Steelerdave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2013 ram 1500 5.7 just hit 310500. At 151000 had camshafts and lifters replaced. In shop now for same thing. Dealership told me that it’s normal at 150000 for that to happen. I’m lucky, I have the lifetime warranty and it is covered. Only bad thing is parts are not available now and could take a month to get

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
so basically dealer is saying that to get warranty work done you must follow what we say. we say run a 5w20 approved oil. and in doing so its normal for this motor to run 150k miles. we are supposed to be happy with that? apparently this is the wrong motor for people who put miles on their truck.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Catastrophic mechanical failures are now considered routine maintenance? Ok FCA, you better come out and update your PM schedule.

The capability of some of these dealers are mind boggling, either that or they think they can still ******** their own buyers in modern day.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Catastrophic mechanical failures are now considered routine maintenance? Ok FCA, you better come out and update your PM schedule.

The capability of some of these dealers are mind boggling, either that or they think they can still ******** their own buyers in modern day.

yeah its unbelievable. before i bought my 14 i was considering a 19 new style. i spent a lot of time on 5th gen ram. it was eye opening to read dealer issues. the fact that a new truck was produced that dealers didnt know how to fix certain issues....think about that for a bit. unf#%+ing believable. here consumer....be our guinea pig . and if it breaks we will...umm..
umm....figure it out....sometime

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
My FIL has a 19 with less than 1K miles in for at least a week waiting for a TCM backorder, this powertrain hasn’t changed in 5 years outside of the trans revision. The 13-18 ZF8 was darn near bulletproof mechanically and logically, the 2-1 bump that people complain about was designed for longevity.

Disclaimer* The big domestic 3 all have subtle issues, just expected better QC from FCA since they pushed their pricing and interior into luxury vehicle territory. There will be a transition in techs/dealership support training.

They’re all still catching up to the Toyota Way. Makes it difficult when you are constantly adding more variables to debug and attain six sigma capability.

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I can’t believe what I’m seeing with all these cam and lifter failures. And to have a dealership say that the “failure” is normal is unbearable.

Liplus: did you let the dealership do all your maintenance?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_2140.JPG Burla, in his second paragraph, post #2, is right on the money, reguarding using thin oil to get a favorable EPA rating. More means to that end are: transmission heater, diff heater, shutters, MDS, car tires, tall gears, 200 degree thermostat, electric boost. Most of that crap just adds cost to the vehicle. And I often wonder if that crap even pays for itself.

Gentleman, things are seldom as they appear. Question everything.

My 2011 has less than 50,000 miles on it, right now. I have funds for if and when my engine destroys its own cam. But in my case, the oil has always been changed at the dealership. When I asked what brand, blend, and viscosity they were putting in it, the service manager claimed he didn't know. I had to press the issue and got the answer.

If, and when my cam decides it'd rather be round, I wonder what excuse the dealership is going to come up with?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 161966 Burla, in his second paragraph, post #2, is right on the money, reguarding using thin oil to get a favorable EPA rating. More means to that end are: transmission heater, diff heater, shutters, MDS, car tires, tall gears, 200 degree thermostat, electric boost. Most of that crap just adds cost to the vehicle. And I often wonder if that crap even pays for itself.

Gentleman, things are seldom as they appear. Question everything.

My 2011 has less than 50,000 miles on it, right now. I have funds for if and when my engine destroys its own cam. But in my case, the oil has always been changed at the dealership. When I asked what brand, blend, and viscosity they were putting in it, the service manager claimed he didn't know. I had to press the issue and got the answer.

If, and when my cam decides it'd rather be round, I wonder what excuse the dealership is going to come up with?
That they didn't know what oil was used so they can't verify if it had the correct certification :)

Fwiw my dealer told me in the case of engine failure, the first thing they do is pull the valve covers. At that point they can pretty much tell how the engine was taken care of. FCA still needs to be involved, but what the dealer initially tells them about condition goes a long way to getting it covered under warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But when the cam in my truck goes, and I pay out of pocket, that'll be a good time to cal Matt for a better cam.

Plus an MDS delete kit, right? Just to be on the safe side, of course!

TXCOMT

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can’t believe what I’m seeing with all these cam and lifter failures. And to have a dealership say that the “failure” is normal is unbearable.

Liplus: did you let the dealership do all your maintenance?

so where are u seeing all these failures???? whats that % to trucks sold with that motor? why dont u compare that to ALL of the other manufactures engines failing. and to top it off you dont know the truck owners driving habits.

OP
OP
I

Iiplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My driving habits:
Mid 60’s man who primarily used the truck for business travel between NC, Atlanta, and Alabama. Allowed engine to idle a couple minutes before driving to ensure engined was lubed.
No hard acceleration. Changed oil every 3K with Valvoline synthetic blend. All suggested maintenance was performed well before recommended intervals because it was my business transportation.

My failures were worn cam lobes and lifters, heads reworked due to valve springs and seal issue. I replaced camshaft, lifter, and timing belt assembly (proactive)

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ll expand on 88’s good point.

I’d like to know the percentage of 2011’s, because I have an 11, had the notorious cam failure, at what mileage, and what oil.

I don’t see how driving spirited, or pulling trailers would stress a cam any more than driving average/normally.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2013 ram 1500 5.7 just hit 310500. At 151000 had camshafts and lifters replaced. In shop now for same thing. Dealership told me that it’s normal at 150000 for that to happen. I’m lucky, I have the lifetime warranty and it is covered. Only bad thing is parts are not available now and could take a month to get

Other than the long time frame to get parts, that’s good that your lifetime warranty is covering it. Just outta curiosity, have you been running Chrysler approved 5w20 or some other 5w30 oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so basically dealer is saying that to get warranty work done you must follow what we say. we say run a 5w20 approved oil. and in doing so its normal for this motor to run 150k miles. we are supposed to be happy with that? apparently this is the wrong motor for people who put miles on their truck.

Maybe that Redline 5w30 or equivalent will prevent this? If it does, then there ya go. If FCA wants to replace my cam and lifters every 150,000- if I keep it longer than that, that’s fine by me. Well, not necessarily, in a lot of ways, I’d just rather run a better oil but not be criticized and have my warranty denied for running a better, probably heavier oil that would prevent this all together but hey, when they’re footin’ the bill, I’ll do whatever they want, I spose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro