Tire Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexxn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Hello All, I wanted to get a few opinions here. I have a 2018 Laramie, CrewCab, 4x4 Cummins. Truck is in South Florida so now snow, mostly road driven with the occasional off road (nothing serious)

I already know the stock Firestone’s that I have now are terrible, they are LT285/60R20. I’d like to go slightly bigger as well. Good wear is definitely desirable.

opinions ??

M4-AR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve only had them 2weeks, so it’s early to have any real feedback myself.

but I was recommended the Falken wildpeak atw3. That’s what I went with. Very happy so far.

while I was at America’s tire having them installed, I noticed 3/4 employee trucks had them as well. If the tire guys are running them....

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they are LT285/60R20. I’d like to go slightly bigger as well.
BTW, I forgot to mention, I'm not convinced that wider is necessarily better on the Ram. Even with the Hemi, I'm rarely peeling out stepping on the gas with good tires, and wider tires are not only more expensive most of the time, but add mass which reduces acceleration and makes the suspension work harder, and especially if they stick out can impact fuel economy a bit.

I'm rolling on 275/60/20s on my 4x2 which I felt were plenty big and the speedo is spot on according to GPS.

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depends what you’re looking to do with the truck. Do you want all season/street tires? Do you want an aggressive look and/or go off roading at all?

I’ve researched this to death over the past couple weeks. I decided to go with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I don’t like the look of a truck with all season tires. They just don’t belong. But that is just my opinion.

I’ve only had them on my truck for a few days but I’m beyond happy with them. No road noise, they balanced with barely any weights and they have a very aggressive look. I have yet to take them off road, but I’ve read nothing but good things about them.

My wife has good year duelers on her wrangler with about 25k miles on them and they are wearing great.

As mentioned above, the Michelin defenders are great all season tires.

if your looking for an all terrain or hybrid tire, Nitto, Duratracs, Duelers, ko2, wildpeak. Can’t really go wrong.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out goodyear wrangler all terrain adventure with kevlar very smooth & quiet they're the only tire i use

OP
OP
Alexxn

Alexxn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Depends what you’re looking to do with the truck. Do you want all season/street tires? Do you want an aggressive look and/or go off roading at all?

I’ve researched this to death over the past couple weeks. I decided to go with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I don’t like the look of a truck with all season tires. They just don’t belong. But that is just my opinion.

I’ve only had them on my truck for a few days but I’m beyond happy with them. No road noise, they balanced with barely any weights and they have a very aggressive look. I have yet to take them off road, but I’ve read nothing but good things about them.

My wife has good year duelers on her wrangler with about 25k miles on them and they are wearing great.

As mentioned above, the Michelin defenders are great all season tires.

if your looking for an all terrain or hybrid tire, Nitto, Duratracs, Duelers, ko2, wildpeak. Can’t really go wrong.
I am looking for the best of all worlds if possible - but I'm NOT trying to get a lot of road noise and quick tire wear if that makes any sense. I do like the look of a "truck" tire also.

Thanks !

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am looking for the best of all worlds if possible - but I'm NOT trying to get a lot of road noise and quick tire wear if that makes any sense. I do like the look of a "truck" tire also.

Thanks !

I would go with a tire that has a good mileage warranty. The Toyo Open Country come with very high mileage warranty. Lot of good options out there.

the falken wildpeak are a great tire and probably the ‘cheapest’ quality all terrain tire you’ll find.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Michelin Defender LTX or Continental CrossContact LX20 (I have these, they were much cheaper than the Defender's and they are great). I put the Conti's on at 30k miles, have 70k now, and plenty tread left. They ride and handle great.

OP
OP
Alexxn

Alexxn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Michelin Defender LTX, $110 off at Costco right now. Checking my Costco, comes out to $909.92 +tax installed. Best ever. Case closed.

So I finally got 4 of these on a deal - buy 4 get 2 free, just pay for mounting, balancing, and road hazard. Out the door was $860.

What a difference in the ride compared to the stock Firestones ! Feels like a new truck, especially on the highways !

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I finally got 4 of these on a deal - buy 4 get 2 free, just pay for mounting, balancing, and road hazard. Out the door was $860.

What a difference in the ride compared to the stock Firestones ! Feels like a new truck, especially on the highways !

just had a set of the defenders put on my 1500, so far are great and as quiet as the oem's.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Check out goodyear wrangler all terrain adventure with kevlar very smooth & quiet they're the only tire i use
Honestly, just how smooth and quiet would you say they are? I am looking at new tires for my nearly 100% highway use and have been looking at H/T tires only. However, just so happens I could get a smoking deal on 4 of the Goodyear A/T Adventurer with Kevlar right now. BUT, I detest road noise over the highway at 75MPH

TC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am on my second set of the Michelin Defender's on a Laramie 4X4. Don't know that I have ever heard the tires, even at 85 mph. Excellent wear (75K+ miles on first set) and great wet weather traction. If a highway tire is what you need most of the time, you can't go wrong with this tire IMO.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I am on my second set of the Michelin Defender's on a Laramie 4X4. Don't know that I have ever heard the tires, even at 85 mph. Excellent wear (75K+ miles on first set) and great wet weather traction. If a highway tire is what you need most of the time, you can't go wrong with this tire IMO.
The Michelin gets very good comments. It boils down to the Michelin or Continental Extreme contact H/T for me. However, If I buy Goodyears I have an opportunity to get a great deal.
Hence my inquiry in regards to the Wranglers that Simpleman mentioned.