torque steer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Have any of you guys experienced a drastic increase in torque steer when upsizing tires? went from stock tires on 17s to 35x11.5x20 terra graps. Now under hard acceleration the steering wheel immediate rotates to the right about 3-4 inches and recenters after letting off the gas. its bothering me because I wasn't having this issue prior and I don't know if I may have missed something or undertorqued something when I added the blistiens and tires.

Now I got my alignment done the front tires were very toe in and I just wonder if that covered up the issue because I never had any torque steer before. also I did find that my right rear toe is way out but the left is perfectly straight if you guys have any ideas on fixing that it would be helpful as well since its a rear straight axle I'm not sure what caused that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Uhhhh torque steer only happen in fwd vehicles. Unless you are driving around in 4x4 0 torque is applied to your front wheels.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I can tell you my truck has a "light" feeling in the front end sometimes. I assume it's because the electric power steering taking a seconds to engage the 120lbs on each front corner.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your getting torque steer, you have power going to the front wheel(s), being the steering jerks right I would say it's the left side.
Torque steer happens with front wheel drive vehicles unless the axle shafts are equalized,

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you've increased the offset on your wheels you'll increase the tendency to torque steer because of larger scrub radius - though you should not experience any torque steer in RWD and or really much in auto-4wd since the back axle is pushing just as much as the front is pulling.

If you're experiencing a lot of twitchy steering behavior check that your alignment caster is sufficient, too little caster can lead to "darty" or excessively light steering.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What mods do you have and how many miles on the truck? Ive run 33's, 35's, 37's and now back to 35's and have never experienced the issue with the truck.

Post the alignment sheet as well.

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
hey guys sorry to take so long getting back but I've rechecked lug nuts and all components in the front end that were messed with when installing the blistiens and everything was tight. I have a video of the wheel when I floor it it goes to the right about an inch and then back to center when I let off.

My alignment sheet shows everything is good except the back right has a toe of .23 or something like that. (ill post that tomorrow). with a straight axle that makes no sense since the lh is perfect unless the tire is mounted poorly or the axle pin is bent

I think the back end is crab walking under WOT a little bit and the steering is adjusting to it and then re-centering itself. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f96040aef4e5/20201022_140355.mp4

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rear control arm bushings starting to go would be my guess. Jumping up to 35s would make it a lot more noticeable.

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
with only 41k miles on a 19?