Towing Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ernesto Pizarro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello to all,

I wanted to share my towing experience during a recent move from NY to FL. The distance is approx. 950 miles. I purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 2WD 6'4" Bed with factory tow package. I had four classic cars to transport but only 2 would be towed with the Ram. I purchased the Ram from Kernersville Ram. I then purchased an 21' steel open car trailer from Kaufman Trailer in Lexington, NC. I first hauled my 1940 Ford PU which weighs approx 2450 lbs. The trailer, a 10K version weighs in at 2700 lbs. The Ram has a tow rating of 8430 lbs and a max payload of 1830 lbs. I had approx. 350 lbs of gear during the ride. The Ram handled the tow without issue. The was some rear spring sag which I'd read about here so it was expected. I was careful to position the truck to balance load and tongue weight. I knew towing vehicle #2 would require an upgrade or two as it weighs in at 4250 lbs (1964 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible). I pondered getting a WDH, better tires for towing and air bags based on what I have read on this forum. I contacted Steve at Timber Grove to find out if his kit would fit a 2020 Ram. He was able to confirm that it would and after telling him my plan he advised me to forego the WDH. He was confident the air bags would get the job done. He stated the tires would be a noticeable drawback but mileage would suffer slightly with firmer tires. I purchased and installed the airbag kit ( it was an easy install). Steve advised to measure from a fixed point on the trailer receiver to the ground to get a base measurement (factory) and air the bags prior to adding the load then air them down to that measurement. I towed with the factory Goodyear tires. The Ram handled the tow like a champ. Empty (no trailer) I was able to get 23 mpg NC to NY, I was able to get 16.8 with the unloaded trailer and with the Plymouth I got 12.9. I should add that when I towed either vehicle I used 89 octane fuel otherwise it takes 87. I kept my speed right around 60 mph. Sure it took longer but I think this added to the amount of control I maintained. I am providing this real world experience for anyone's benefit.

EP

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Great write-up. I'm sure many will benefit from this. The only thing you left out was pictures of the classic cars.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Ernesto et al---just an FYI: I can't speak for NY or NC or the in-between state law but here in California if your tow vehicle is rated for towing less than your trailer is rated for, you are in violation. So while it's unlikely a Patrolman would stop you just for towing a 10K# rated trailer with your truck (or mine), if one did and just happened to want to see your trailer's registration, you could be cited and be required to drop the trailer on the spot and call a tow truck for it. I am NOT defending the law, just giving a heads-up to all. I learned this law when shopping for an open car trailer with my truck, rated for 7600#. I was thinking to buy the 9,990# rated trailer but was told I shouldn't unless I had a heavier-duty truck. So I bought the 7,000# trailer. Just sayin'...
BTW: it applies even if the trailer IS EMPTY! No kidding.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Ernesto et al---just an FYI: I can't speak for NY or NC or the in-between state law but here in California if your tow vehicle is rated for towing less than your trailer is rated for, you are in violation. So while it's unlikely a Patrolman would stop you just for towing a 10K# rated trailer with your truck (or mine), if one did and just happened to want to see your trailer's registration, you could be cited and be required to drop the trailer on the spot and call a tow truck for it. I am NOT defending the law, just giving a heads-up to all. I learned this law when shopping for an open car trailer with my truck, rated for 7600#. I was thinking to buy the 9,990# rated trailer but was told I shouldn't unless I had a heavier-duty truck. So I bought the 7,000# trailer. Just sayin'...
BTW: it applies even if the trailer IS EMPTY! No kidding.
I'm guessing you've been fed some bad infromation as how can they say you can't tow a trailer that's rated for more than what your truck is rated to tow? I can see if the trailer weighs more than what the truck is rated for. Or possibly someone got pulled over by a stupid LEO that doesn't know the difference between a rating and an actual weight.
If what you stated is actually true then that is really F'd up, no wonder California is turning into a cesspool.
Maybe someone will post the actual law with #

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello to all,
Do you know what the rear end is on your truck

I wanted to share my towing experience during a recent move from NY to FL. The distance is approx. 950 miles. I purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 2WD 6'4" Bed with factory tow package. I had four classic cars to transport but only 2 would be towed with the Ram. I purchased the Ram from Kernersville Ram. I then purchased an 21' steel open car trailer from Kaufman Trailer in Lexington, NC. I first hauled my 1940 Ford PU which weighs approx 2450 lbs. The trailer, a 10K version weighs in at 2700 lbs. The Ram has a tow rating of 8430 lbs and a max payload of 1830 lbs. I had approx. 350 lbs of gear during the ride. The Ram handled the tow without issue. The was some rear spring sag which I'd read about here so it was expected. I was careful to position the truck to balance load and tongue weight. I knew towing vehicle #2 would require an upgrade or two as it weighs in at 4250 lbs (1964 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible). I pondered getting a WDH, better tires for towing and air bags based on what I have read on this forum. I contacted Steve at Timber Grove to find out if his kit would fit a 2020 Ram. He was able to confirm that it would and after telling him my plan he advised me to forego the WDH. He was confident the air bags would get the job done. He stated the tires would be a noticeable drawback but mileage would suffer slightly with firmer tires. I purchased and installed the airbag kit ( it was an easy install). Steve advised to measure from a fixed point on the trailer receiver to the ground to get a base measurement (factory) and air the bags prior to adding the load then air them down to that measurement. I towed with the factory Goodyear tires. The Ram handled the tow like a champ. Empty (no trailer) I was able to get 23 mpg NC to NY, I was able to get 16.8 with the unloaded trailer and with the Plymouth I got 12.9. I should add that when I towed either vehicle I used 89 octane fuel otherwise it takes 87. I kept my speed right around 60 mph. Sure it took longer but I think this added to the amount of control I maintained. I am providing this real world experience for anyone's benefit.

EP

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
I'm guessing you've been fed some bad infromation as how can they say you can't tow a trailer that's rated for more than what your truck is rated to tow? I can see if the trailer weighs more than what the truck is rated for. Or possibly someone got pulled over by a stupid LEO that doesn't know the difference between a rating and an actual weight.
If what you stated is actually true then that is really F'd up, no wonder California is turning into a cesspool.
Maybe someone will post the actual law with #
I may have been fed some horse-manure, true. I had been to about 4 trailer lots around Fresno and no one had said anything about weight rating violations until I went to one in Merced who told me why I shouldn't buy the bigger capacity trailer to go with my truck. I was surprised, so I went by the local CHP office and asked a CHP officer who told me it was true; my 7600# rated truck should not enter public highways with a car trailer rated over that amount, empty or not. It would be citable violation. I did not plan on hauling the larger loads, I just thought a heavier-rated trailer would take more abuse and last longer.

I looked for the actual law online to no success, so I wonder about the horse-manure part. Maybe 'cause I live in a cesspool, I couldn't smell the manure? Har! Just a joke, I love it here. I did find the website I attached below interesting though, food for thought.

https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/pickup-trucks-tow-ratings-and-liability/

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
so I went by the local CHP office and asked a CHP officer who told me it was true; my 7600# rated truck should not enter public highways with a car trailer rated over that amount, empty or not. It would be citable violation. I did not plan on hauling the larger loads, I just thought a heavier-rated trailer would take more abuse and last longer.

I looked for the actual law online to no success, so I wonder about the horse-manure part.
I would like to know the CHP officer's explanation of what the difference of towing a trailer that's actual weight is say 5000 lbs and has a 7600 lbs rating vs 9600 lbs rating? or a loaded trailer that weighs 5K lbs and is rated at 5K lbs?
In reality practically nothing other than you probably have larger brakes on the 9600 rated one.
If there really is a law on the California books that states you can't pull a trailer that's rated for more than what the truck is rated for, they are calling you guilty of doing nothing wrong. It's a case of the government overreaching.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
Crash68---no argument here, just putting it out there to possibly save someone else a hassle, I don't like it either. I would have (and do) believe the bigger rated trailer would be better with the same loads.

martinbrown2302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.5l
I may have been fed some horse-manure, true. I had been to about 4 trailer lots around Fresno and no one had said anything about weight rating violations until I went to one in Merced who told me why I shouldn't buy the bigger capacity trailer to go with my truck. I was surprised, so I went by the local CHP office and asked a CHP officer who told me it was true; my 7600# rated truck should not enter public highways with a car trailer rated over that amount, empty or not. It would be citable violation. I did not plan on hauling the larger loads, I just thought a heavier-rated trailer would take more abuse and last longer.

I looked for the actual law online to no success, so I wonder about the horse-manure part. Maybe 'cause I live in a cesspool, I couldn't smell the manure? Har! Just a joke, I love it here. I did find the website I attached below interesting though, food for thought.

https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/pickup-trucks-tow-ratings-and-liability/

In New York, The weight rating violations are strict as in cesspool. More than 6000lbs towing is possible here without any violation. This is absurd!