Trouble getting fuel to tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gchase65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought 09 Ram 5.7 and first time went to fill it 22 gals took me 17 minutes to get fuel in it....any ideas?

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
try putting nozzle at a angle in filler neck.
my '13 i sometimes have trouble removing nozzle if i insert it with handle down, BUT with with it at a angle, it is easier to come out.
Hope this idea helps, PLEASE let us know.

OP
OP
G

gchase65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have tried that and it seems to help, but still takes 15 minutes to fill the tank. I have gone so far as to remove the plastic that the filler neck attaches to so I can get more of an angle.

OP
OP
G

gchase65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update I removed the gas tank to make sure nothing strange. Charcoal can checks good, leak detection pump good, valve in filler neck appears to work fine. I can force air into tank and it vents out the hoses. So i could not find anything unusual. So I went down to the Dodge dealer and talked to five service guys and they all rolled eyes back when I told them what was going on, and every one of them told me its the gas tank itself. The new ones don't have the vent on the top of the tank they vent out the fuel neck. So F**k me i guess. I sent a email to Dodge customer care and they are researching my issue and are the ones that told me to get it looked at by local dealer. I reported the findings back to them and have not heard back yet. I figured it was going to take some time so I put the tank back in went to the gas station and same thing got $2.00 dollars in before it clicked. I opened the hood and took the hose off the purge solenoid that goes back to tank continued to fill and it filled normal with that hose unhooked. I had to put fuel in yesterday and same thing got a buck or two in and click, unhooked hose and it filled normal. So until I hear back from Dodge I will be the **** unhooking a hose to fill tank.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My wife is bad at picking cars I guess, her current and previous car did the same thing. Turn the pump handle 180deg upside down and keep it like that while you fill. It works for her at least.

2010 Impala is totally different than a ram but mechanic told her it would take a $700 new tank to fix...

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
word of warning .....

Never Top off your fuel tank, if you can help it
Stop pumping on the FIRST Click

It is a flaw in every gas powered Ram truck
This is true with my truck for sure! If I go past when the nozzle "clicks off", it spills gas all over the side of the truck below the filler.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have to have a new gas tank, no way around it.
Agree, that’s what I had to do with my 2018. Not horrible job but new tanks are expensive. As GTYankee commented, never pump more gas after it clicks off.