Truck won't start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marusho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
My 2019 Laramie Longhorn e-Torque 5.7 battery lasted 6 months. Dealer said it was grand. They start so fast that you only need 10% charge so you don't realize how low they are. And the gauge in the dash is set to never read below 12V so yo won't fret. I carried a spare to jump start it. Finally replaced at 4 years with the Wal-Mart battery that Project Farm Youtube channel tested as best. I always have resented that the truck has a fine 48V lithium battery that could easily be directed in an emergency to charge the 12V battery, but they didn't think to add that little bit of coding. The charging system IS 48V and is stepped down for charging at 12V, so this was doable for e-Torque owners. Also at high noon every known light bulb comes on - license plate, bed lights, puddle lights, all interior lights, on and on - maybe 50 lights. The car knows it's daylight. What were their programmers thinking? This just shows the need for beta testing, or at least testing.

Fireman108

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2019 bighorn 1500 with about 20,000 miiles. Drove it last night with no issues. This morning I press the unlock button on the key fob and nothing happened (doors didn't unlock and lights didn't blink on truck). Thought it was the fob battery so I tried my spare and that didn't work either. I remove the key and manually open the driver's door (which set of the alarm) then tried The key fob buttons again but they still didn't work. Then tried pushing the end of the key fob against the start button to start the truck and that didn't work either.
There were no warning lights or alerts on the instrument cluster. I tested the voltage on the battery and it's at 12.3 so maybe a little low. I hooked up the battery tender to see if that would help.
Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong?
Sorry this is long but interesting.
I just read this and this just happened to me this past Saturday. I have a 2021 Ram, drove it Friday all day, then on Saturday it was dead as a door nail like you said. Charged the battery and started it up. Took it to the dealer. they said that the battery was drained. They charged it and said it was throwing all kinds of electrical codes. Bottom line Here is what they did:
Tested Battery, result was good @764 CCA. LOP 080801pc ( ?) wiring connections inspected Checked battery after 3 hour charge. Need to update Control modules, LOP 85410000 UC, updated PCM, BCM, and BPCM. another battery test done 12 hours after update. Problem resolved. Hope so, the Service rep said he hopes this doesn't happen again. Going on 18 months since I bought and 14,00 miles later. Good Luck

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
As someone said , you don't need a battery in the fob to start the truck, you do to open the door.
and while this happened 2 times, ( computer not picking up the fob), everything is still working after both times, after the truck started, so it will not be a fob problem, and sounds like it will not be a battery problem either, I do have 2 or 3 quality meters, I don't have a code reader, and at my age not going to buy one. Back in the old days , you could start a truck with a push, these days , you need a cell phone and flatdeck truck , spare car I guess.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As someone said , you don't need a battery in the fob to start the truck, you do to open the door.
and while this happened 2 times, ( computer not picking up the fob), everything is still working after both times, after the truck started, so it will not be a fob problem, and sounds like it will not be a battery problem either, I do have 2 or 3 quality meters, I don't have a code reader, and at my age not going to buy one. Back in the old days , you could start a truck with a push, these days , you need a cell phone and flatdeck truck , spare car I guess.

Heck, back in the generator days, you could push start a truck with no battery at all and run it.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Frankd, I see you have a push button start, If that switch is bad you will get no crank start, tell the dealer that when they look at it I just thought of this being a problem.

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
@Frankd, I see you have a push button start, If that switch is bad you will get no crank start, tell the dealer that when they look at it I just thought of this being a problem.

I was thinking the same thing about the push button start... but the keyfobs also dont work anymore so I'm thinking it might be something else... or in addition to the start button.
Truck is getting towed to the dealer tomorrow so hopefully I'll have an answer soon

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking the same thing about the push button start... but the keyfobs also dont work anymore so I'm thinking it might be something else... or in addition to the start button.
Truck is getting towed to the dealer tomorrow so hopefully I'll have an answer soon
Also have them look into the RF Hub behind rear driver's seat that would explain your FOB's not working, please let us know what they find. :waytogo::waytogo:

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Also have them look into the RF Hub behind rear driver's seat that would explain your FOB's not working, please let us know what they find. :waytogo::waytogo:

Thanks! I've read a few threads about the rf hub issue. Hopefully it's something simple...and covered under warranty.

Tow truck is supposed to be here at some point this morning. So hopefully by this afternoon I'll have an update.

Appreciate all the help and feedback!

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
So the tow truck was scheduled to arrive at 7:00 a.m. Stellantis woke me up with a text at 4:40 a.m. saying that the truck was on its way. Several texts and phone calls later, the truck shows up after 9:00 a.m.
The driver said that this is the third 2019 ram he has picked up this week with the same EXACT problem.
Hoping to hear from the dealer today regarding what's wrong with it

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If the RF fob pickup is bad, would that effect the pushbutton start? I would think not.
But these are things I haven't worked on

13Goat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, as Paul Harvey used to say, this is the rest of the story: On the no-start issue I was having, I finally got the truck to start after bumping the start button about 15 times; drove it directly to a diesel shop that I use for service (they have some of the most competent techs around). First rattle out of the box, one of the techs reached up on the battery and found a loose ground that I had totally missed! Needless to say, I felt like a fair fool-been bending wrenches for near
sixty years. In my defense though, there are about a bazillion wires mounted on those battery terminals. Second weird thing--on the way to the shop, the dash display went totally blank. Nothing showing. After correcting the faulty ground, it still didn't come on. The fix? He did a cold reset--disconnected both batteries, left it sit for about 15 minutes, and viola--everything works. So for now, all is good.

Zorin

Reaction score
Just got a call from the dealer. The service rep told me that I need a new module that reads the key fob. ..I'm assuming he's referring to the RF Hub so it looks like Dodge 1500, and a few others are right
If the RF Hub went out, look at the rear window trim, make sure there isn't a crack. Water can leak down and short out the RF hub.

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
So I still havent gotten the truck back. Each day that I call, I'm told that it will be back "tomorrow" but then it just keeps getting pushed back.
I just got off the phone and was told that after changing the RF hub, the car still wasnt working and they checked the battery and its got 11 volts and 2 dead cells. I explained that I had tried a new battery when this all started and the new battery didnt do the trick so I put the old one back. But they're adamant that its the battery and a new batter is $390 installed!!! WFT?!?! I told them I can get one at costco for $135 and they said they'd be happy to leave the truck out front and for me to do it myself... but I dont have time for that crap so I told them to just do it.

This is so annoying. I just want my truck back.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ME THINKS the OP's RF Hub is out, but as U know, INTERNET GUESSNOSIS at it's Best !!!