Trucks without OEM towing package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kinetic

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my dealership quoted me about $750 to install the class IV hitch, trailer break controller, and to flash computer. Does that sound about right?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$750 including parts and labor? Yeah actually that sounds pretty good.

If you wanted to buy the OE trailer brake controller kit yourself that's about $300 retail, actual street price right there. Retail cost of the hitch assembly is all over the place between $130 and $300 (brands like Reese and Curt..) but the Mopar one appears to be at the higher end of that range, like there's one for $280 + shipping on Amazon.. then there's the installation of a 7 pin socket in your bumper and the labor of bolting it all up and getting the dash apart to install the brake controller, and programming the truck to know it's got the controller.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have to agree. That sounds very fair, almost sounds too good to be true for what some people have said about dealerships.

Good luck, anxious to see the finished product in action.

OP
OP
Kinetic

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I have the socket thing in my bumper already, and it seems to already be wired up for towing, just doesn't have the actual towing package stuff.

It's literally just the hitch install, controller install, computer flash and parts. I'm pretty sure he's hooking it up with a discount so if it's a good deal then I'll go for it.

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could be in-business with a Tekonsha Prodigy (P2 or P3), with the simple "plug & play" direct wire Ram harness for probably around $150.
Find the empty lug under the dash, plug in the Prodigy harness, connect the ground wire, 2 screws to mount the controller, done. The controller has a plug on the back of it so you can unplug it and remove it when not in use in about 30 seconds. No computer flashing required.
The inertial mechanism inside the Prodigy is probably better than the factory one too...
Just saying...
Find a local UHaul store, they can get you a class IV hitch and mount it for probably $300 or less OTD.

I used to haul around my 7000# enclosed car hauler with my Cobra inside and it worked like a charm, even in reverse! Best controller I've ever used...
Tekonsha has a video on their site which shows how well they work...

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
check out etrailer.com. They have all that stuff. As for the trailer brakes, I would try to go with the OEM if possible. I had a box in my 2013 and there aren't many options to mount it out of the way. I moved it 3 times and no matter what kept banging my knees off it. My step-son has a 2019 and extended his wires and puts his in his cup holder and removes it when he isn't towing but I don't like that. But he has nowhere to mount it out of the way either. He is planning on getting the OEM installed

OP
OP
Kinetic

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only reason I am considering the dealership route is so it all goes under the factory warranty, otherwise I'd definitely try and piece together a cheaper option.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The ITBM is integrated into the truck a lot more than an aftermarket one is possible of. It uses not only braking force but the vehicles speed in determining braking force. It also incorporates electronic trailer sway control and if you have the 7" EVIC all the information is right in front of you, not under the dash(if trailer brakes fail/disconnect the dash lights up). It also has the ability to save individual trailer settings and tracks the mileage you tow that trailer.