true dual exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently have a flowmaster super 44 muffler on my truck and I absolutely love it. However, I am considering changing my current dual exhaust to a true dual system, meaning I would need to get a new muffler. My question is, is there any significant benefit in terms of performance or mpg into getting a true dual system? Also, does the term true duals simply mean two separate exhaust pipes running from the exhaust manifolds to the back or do you have to have two mufflers as well? I'm thinking about sticking with the super 44 but have also considered the race venom muffler from Black Widow.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
True duals are individual pipes (including mufflers/cats/resonators)for each side, front to back. More often than not an H-pipe is required, maybe multiple sensors, reprogramming, etc.
Plus our plastic gas tanks are on the left side, clearance may be an issue.
Lots to consider.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I currently have a flowmaster super 44 muffler on my truck and I absolutely love it. However, I am considering changing my current dual exhaust to a true dual system, meaning I would need to get a new muffler. My question is, is there any significant benefit in terms of performance or mpg into getting a true dual system? Also, does the term true duals simply mean two separate exhaust pipes running from the exhaust manifolds to the back or do you have to have two mufflers as well? I'm thinking about sticking with the super 44 but have also considered the race venom muffler from Black Widow.

On a basically stock truck it's not going to gain you anything except more costs and head-aches. You need to be running a fair bit of boost or a ****load of nitrous to see any gains from a dual set-up,and even then going to a 4" single system has proven to be better then a dual 3 set-up that drops down to 2.5 or 2.25 dual pipes behind the muffler.Hunt up an AFE mid pipe or have an exhaust shop cut out the factory merge where the drivers side pipe is almost squashed flat and replace it with something like a Magnaflow Y pipe

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True duals are individual pipes (including mufflers/cats/resonators)for each side, front to back. More often than not an H-pipe is required, maybe multiple sensors, reprogramming, etc.
Lots to consider.
Thanks. I've seen it done on the 4th gen Rams plenty of times and besides, these trucks already come with a dual exhaust from the factory so I'm sure any reputable muffler shop can do it no problem. Most of them, from what I've seen, have the pipes going into a dual in/dual out muffler and that's why I was asking if you had to have two individual mufflers for it be a true dual or it's just that the pipes cannot merge into a single y-pipe like the factory exhaust does.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Lots to consider.
There is no issue, sensors, or reprogramming needed throwing a h or a xpipe after that cat and enjoy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no issue, sensors, or reprogramming needed throwing a h or a xpipe after that cat and enjoy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.
That's what I'm thinking. The truck already has two cats, so basically all you're doing is just cutting off the Y-pipe section, then just welding new individual exhaust pipes from where those cats are, using an x-pipe or h-pipe (optional I suppose) and running them either through a dual in/dual out muffler or two individual mufflers right? I would likely keep the factory tailpipes though because I already have 5 inch black exhaust tips and I'd hate to have to go and buy new ones.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make it sound like it should.

That sounds badass! How is the drone while driving?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's what I'm thinking. The truck already has two cats, so basically all you're doing is just cutting off the Y-pipe section, then just welding new individual exhaust pipes from where those cats are, using an x-pipe or h-pipe (optional I suppose) and running them either through a dual in/dual out muffler or two individual mufflers right? I would likely keep the factory tailpipes though because I already have 5 inch black exhaust tips and I'd hate to have to go and buy new ones.

Just what are you expecting,if it's a horsepower gain,you're probably going to be disappointed for the money spent.By the sounds of it,you want to do it on the cheap,otherwise you'd at least step up to a catback system with 2.5" or 3" tailpipes and get rid of the stock 2.25" tailpipes,which means you're going to the local muffler shop where they'll cut out the decent stainless pipe and replace it with crush bent alumiunized pipe. It's your truck and your money,but don't expect a big return on your money performance wise

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just what are you expecting,if it's a horsepower gain,you're probably going to be disappointed for the money spent.By the sounds of it,you want to do it on the cheap,otherwise you'd at least step up to a catback system with 2.5" or 3" tailpipes and get rid of the stock 2.25" tailpipes,which means you're going to the local muffler shop where they'll cut out the decent stainless pipe and replace it with crush bent alumiunized pipe. It's your truck and your money,but don't expect a big return on your money performance wise
I never said that I was expecting significant performance gains from doing this, I just asked if there were. It was just something to think about because everyone I know that has had a true dual system has had some gains because the exhaust gases are able to be released much faster. By the way, I never thought about the idea of the exhaust piping being compressed/crush bent and I would assume it's safe to say that most muffler shops go that route?

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so if you were in my shoes and wanted a true dual system, what course of action would you take? There’s a website called truckexhaustkits.com that sells pre bent tail pipe kits for the 09-18 ram 1500s for around $260. Unfortunately they only go up to 2.5 inch diameter and I was hoping for a 3 inch setup all the way through, then use a dual in/dual out muffler. My concern with this is that if I got an x-pipe, the muffler shop would have to fabricate custom piping to get everything lined up and would likely use inferior materials as you mentioned. I obviously want it done right and get the most benefit for the money I’m willing to spend but I also don’t want to spend a ridiculous amount of money either. I’m just wondering if it would be best to just go with a standard cat-back exhaust that is already made to fit my truck rather than going through the hassle of having inferior, crush bent piping made to fit my truck, especially if the extra effort isn’t going to provide any more benefit in terms of performance or mpg. If money wasn’t an issue, because let’s be realistic, we all have budgets, I’d go with an full header-back system like Stainless Works or American Racing Headers offers for around $3000. Unfortunately, at least from what I’ve heard, whenever you install high flow cats, it requires the use of a tuner. Just would like to know your thoughts. Thanks!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok so if you were in my shoes and wanted a true dual system, what course of action would you take? There’s a website called truckexhaustkits.com that sells pre bent tail pipe kits for the 09-18 ram 1500s for around $260. Unfortunately they only go up to 2.5 inch diameter and I was hoping for a 3 inch setup all the way through, then use a dual in/dual out muffler. My concern with this is that if I got an x-pipe, the muffler shop would have to fabricate custom piping to get everything lined up and would likely use inferior materials as you mentioned. I obviously want it done right and get the most benefit for the money I’m willing to spend but I also don’t want to spend a ridiculous amount of money either. I’m just wondering if it would be best to just go with a standard cat-back exhaust that is already made to fit my truck rather than going through the hassle of having inferior, crush bent piping made to fit my truck, especially if the extra effort isn’t going to provide any more benefit in terms of performance or mpg. If money wasn’t an issue, because let’s be realistic, we all have budgets, I’d go with an full header-back system like Stainless Works or American Racing Headers offers for around $3000. Unfortunately, at least from what I’ve heard, whenever you install high flow cats, it requires the use of a tuner. Just would like to know your thoughts. Thanks!

Just put a decent catback system on it,and have an exhaust shop cut out the stock Y/merge and put in something like a Magnaflow Y pipe in to replace the crushed drivers side pipe where the 2 pipes join together.Wait till you put long tube headers on it and tune it ,as most long tube headers come with a mandrel bent 3" mid pipe,and you can still re-use the catback system you put on it now.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just put a decent catback system on it,and have an exhaust shop cut out the stock Y/merge and put in something like a Magnaflow Y pipe in to replace the crushed drivers side pipe where the 2 pipes join together.Wait till you put long tube headers on it and tune it ,as most long tube headers come with a mandrel bent 3" mid pipe,and you can still re-use the catback system you put on it now.
Sounds good. Thanks

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That sounds badass! How is the drone while driving?
Its drones but honestly pretty used to it now. Not to mention when I do notice any drone just hit the happy pedal then o dont care again *****. It's super loud under load though.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds good. Thanks
If I were to do a cat back and have kept the y pipe 100% corsa imo they sound great and 0 drone from what I hear

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were to do a cat back and have kept the y pipe 100% corsa imo they sound great and 0 drone from what I hear

Corsa is good but I’ve never heard one in real life and I personally wasn’t a fan of how they sound in videos either. Too raspy for my taste personally. They’re certainly of great quality due to the use of 304 stainless steel but I think that grade of steel is only absolutely critical to have if you live in an area that experiences extremely cold temperatures and they use salt on the roads. For the money, I personally would just go for something like a Borla or even the Stainless Works catback exhaust.

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
Just do it yourself. I bought a a welder from Home Depot for $329 on sale, the pipes from Autozone for $35 each (70 total) with free shipping, and then bought extra wire probably another $50 worth, a auto dimming face mask for $50, gloves off amazon for another $20.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just do it yourself. I bought a a welder from Home Depot for $329 on sale, the pipes from Autozone for $35 each (70 total) with free shipping, and then bought extra wire probably another $50 worth, a auto dimming face mask for $50, gloves off amazon for another $20.
If I had any welding skills then sure I might do that.

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
I didn't, I just watched some youtube videos, and practiced until I was decent. Then I just went and did it. Isn't the best work, but good enough to do the job.