Uconnect fees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikemal57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I find it very odd that uconnect charges a $600 one time activation fee so I can use their navigation app. Especially since I can use Google maps or a Garmin for the same purpose. Other than them having full control over this - is their anything special about their navigation app. Also are the any fees for registering and using wifi hotspot

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No special features that you get with their maps versus using Google maps. In fact, Uconnect maps are less updated than Google maps because Google can push out updates anytime they want to, and they're free.

Don't know about the hotspot and somebody else can chime in on that. However, you can use your phone for a hot spot as well, so if it is a paid feature, I wouldn't worry about that either.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find it very odd that uconnect charges a $600 one time activation fee so I can use their navigation app. Especially since I can use Google maps or a Garmin for the same purpose. Other than them having full control over this - is their anything special about their navigation app. Also are the any fees for registering and using wifi hotspot

I've never heard of this $600 activation fee. I wouldn't spend more than $20 for their crappy NAV.

I use it only for an ETA when I'm going somewhere I'm familiar with. The NAV always wants to take me on a scenic tour, chooses all the wrong roads, and would cost significantly more gas to get to most destinations.

As mentioned, Google Maps or Waze are far superior.

I'm not familiar with using Uconnect for a hotspot and would never pay for the service when my phone can do the same for free.

And welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Though the NAV maps and routing in your Uconnect aren't as good as other offerings in your phone as others have stated and you can easily experience for yourself. I personally still keep my maps somewhat up to date in my vehicles by catching sales, other vehicles that take sd memory cards you can get one step later versions online cheaper if you don't try to keep exactly up to current, etc. Just so the map isn't 3-5 years or more too old. If daily driver, I might get tighter than that.

Reason is for me, is that some areas I travel in/to don't always get cell phone signal so when you use NAV maps in your radio they use a different signal antennae that is built into your truck, which almost always works everywhere. Especially in areas where cell isn't, like some of US national parks, lakes, etc. Depending on where you live and frequent this may or may not be an issue for you. But for me, I'd rather have a map and navigation showing me where the closest road is then no signal at all.

Yes, you can download maps to your phone and use navigation offline of a cell signal. I just don't always remember to do that before I take off, so having NAV in vehicle fits me better. Btw, as far as downloading maps and taking them with you....I just got an email from Google maps today reminding me my downloaded maps are too old for the roads as they are today to be of significant use to navigate by. To me all this depends on preference.

Want an interesting read, go read up on China developing their own GPS system with their own satellites. For which NAV systems utilize in vehicles with navigation/maps. Big changes coming all around us. I've never heard of a $600 fee either btw. Must be a new price gouge approach.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
There may be something wrong with OPs opening statement. Nobody's ever heard of a 600 activation fee. Who would pay it anyway?

Not sure what vehicle he has but in my month old 24 Laramie there was no activation fee. Hum.

I did check with uconnect and they say their map update fee is $149, and of course you can put that off for as many years as you like.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
There may be something wrong with OPs opening statement. Nobody's ever heard of a 600 activation fee. Who would pay it anyway?

Not sure what vehicle he has but in my month old 24 Laramie there was no activation fee. Hum.

I did check with uconnect and they say their map update fee is $149, and of course you can put that off for as many years as you like.
Agree, the $600 activation fee doesn't sound right. Maybe it's a dealer markup? I don't know but doesn't sound right.

Yea Uconnect NAV maps updates (every 2 years so far) normal price is $149 (ref: 2023 pricing), but they do put on sale for $99 from time to time. I just hit one late last year for the $99.00, just make sure you're up to the latest firmware level before you try and install it. Uconnect site has specific version number before you try to upgrade dending on your year/make/model, otherwise your NAV update will just sit on the shelf until you get version up to high enough version. Plenty of threads on updating versions on this site, just do a few searches. My NAV update was 8 years old (I have new to me truck), so changed my NAV maps and objects show/ref/search for were quite a bit different. Much better now due to NAV update, I'm not 4 wheeling anymore, but driving on the road according to my NAV! :)

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Purchase a new head unit that offers Bluetooth connection for Android Auto and Apple Car Play.
Use your phone to connect and use either Waze or Google maps... much better, and you also dump the issues inherent with Uconnect head units.

You'll spend less than $600 on this upgrade, and have a better head unit, too!

OP
OP
M

mikemal57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update I added nav to my uconnect and got the attached display

Attachments

• IMG_20240114_155646836.jpg
    IMG_20240114_155646836.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 55

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is a charge to activate if it wasn’t installed and then 149 yearly update so I use google instead and I upgraded to the 4c uaq
IMG_1768.png

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Id pay 600 to get my Uconnect to work in my 2012 lol. Its been a brick for 4 years now. I said screw it yesterday and installed my iPad Pro as my screen... BMW makes you pay for all of comfort things like heated and cooled seats now... Its a monthly bill from what I have heard.

TorqueWagon

Reaction score
Westmost point in the contiguous United States
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
No special features that you get with their maps versus using Google maps. In fact, Uconnect maps are less updated than Google maps because Google can push out updates anytime they want to, and they're free.

Don't know about the hotspot and somebody else can chime in on that. However, you can use your phone for a hot spot as well, so if it is a paid feature, I wouldn't worry about that either.
I think Uconnect is weak all around. I just took delivery on my new ram 2500 HD, and Dodge makes such a big deal in all of their marketing about how great Uconnect is. I don't see the value for the large amount of money they are asking for the extended features (Nav and hotspot). Google maps overall is superior and yes it updates more frequently. Also the user real-time inputs like crashes on the road or speed traps are not in the Dodge map application. The only thing I find useful in the Uconnect sphere is the smartphone Uconnect app which lets you monitor maintenance parameters. It's nice to be able to look at that from in the house in the evening without physically going out to the vehicle. I will not be paying for anything Uconnect however. Both the NAV and hot spot and the other pay 4 features I can do better with my smartphone. The Uconnect software as a whole, in the dash and on the smartphone is quite simplistic, and the user interface is not fully developed, leaving the user, at times, to guess what it is really doing or (not) telling you. Even the Android Auto implementation is barely there, but it is nice for getting Google maps on your smartphone up on the main display. Android Auto also makes you technically "hands free" as far as law enforcement goes, so you can use some smartphone apps and features by voice/touchscreen without putting your hands on the smartphone (no ticket)!

Mil T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You do know that phones use satellites for their GPS right? That means that gps is receivable even when there is no cell service. If you are really out where there is no satellite signal either then you can buy a cheap additional gps antenna that will pull it in as well. Absolutely no reason to have the Uconnect nav when you can just tell Siri or whatever androids use to take you where you want to go or use an app that can take you to offline maps.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You do know that phones use satellites for their GPS right? That means that gps is receivable even when there is no cell service. If you are really out where there is no satellite signal either then you can buy a cheap additional gps antenna that will pull it in as well. Absolutely no reason to have the Uconnect nav when you can just tell Siri or whatever androids use to take you where you want to go or use an app that can take you to offline maps.
And Google Assistant and Google Maps on my Android phone is about as useful as mammary glands on a boar hog. It's seldom right, it never has up-to-date maps so it thinks I'm driving cross-country half the time, plus Google Asst listens in on conversations and makes remarks about things or answers questions that haven't been asked when it hasn't been called on. I'll stick with my Garmin. Free lifetime map updates so it's almost never wrong, and it actually has a screen big enough for me to see without taking my eyes off the road for more than a second. And I can keep my Google Asst disabled.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Purchase a new head unit that offers Bluetooth connection for Android Auto and Apple Car Play.
Use your phone to connect and use either Waze or Google maps... much better, and you also dump the issues inherent with Uconnect head units.

You'll spend less than $600 on this upgrade, and have a better head unit, too!
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
I've been contemplating this for some time on our 2013 2500 Laramie after upgrading the old single DIN Pioneer unit in our Motorcoach with a Joying Android based 11 inch "floating screen" wireless Android Auto / Apple Car Play unit.

These units will interface with your vehicles' current buttons, Environmental controls, Steering Wheel controls and GPS antenna with an adapter so no worries there.

Driving cross country...miles and miles better....Waze gives accurate ETA, shows crowdsourced alerts - traffic - LEOs etc and its easy to control all manner of music. For offroad I'm using onX offroad which is many many times better than UConnect and the Joying Android head units will let you designate a primary NAV app (Google Maps, RVLife, onX Offorad etc).

No need to be subject to poorly written Uconnect Code and occasional upgrade fees

Ch

Last edited:

Brman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings Diesel
I've never heard of this $600 activation fee. I wouldn't spend more than $20 for their crappy NAV.

I use it only for an ETA when I'm going somewhere I'm familiar with. The NAV always wants to take me on a scenic tour, chooses all the wrong roads, and would cost significantly more gas to get to most destinations.

As mentioned, Google Maps or Waze are far superior.

I'm not familiar with using Uconnect for a hotspot and would never pay for the service when my phone can do the same for free.

And View attachment 535233 to Ram Forum. :cool:

My 2019 2500 Limited navigation stop working after year free guardian subscription. It now requires a monthly subscription $25 to work. It will not take inputs for address on touch screen. I found a work around by using the voice input button and saying 'find address''. It will then prompt for number, street, and city. Then it takes the input and starts the navigation.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
Mine came with the full maps and it's never right , I use waze

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 2500 Limited navigation stop working after year free guardian subscription. It now requires a monthly subscription $25 to work. It will not take inputs for address on touch screen. I found a work around by using the voice input button and saying 'find address''. It will then prompt for number, street, and city. Then it takes the input and starts the navigation.

This is the first time I've heard this story from anyone. I lost the Guardian premium features after the first year but my navigation functions the same as day one. I'm now at the beginning of the third year of ownership.

Were you previously informed of this limited functionality for your Nav or was it a complete surprise after 1 year? And who informed you of this $25 monthly fee for Nav?