upgrading 1500 shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gtikid98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been finding myself hauling some heavy loads more often than i used to, from firewood to construction equipment. My Cousin borrowed it to move some firewood and i noticed the Shock was leaking (guessing he had half a cord,2500lbs or so in the bed). Im looking to replace them with something that can take a bit more abuse. Any recommendations? I dont really feel like doing helper bags. What are some good options? Probably going 2500 next time

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Shocks are unlikely to do what you are looking for them to do. Overloading a truck is just using the truck incorrectly. Not sure why you don't want airbags but that would do a lot more than any shocks. Or, as it sounds like you already know, a 2500 truck would fix all :favorites13:

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
for ~$100, airlift airbags would do wonders.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Shocks carry NO WEIGHT. All a shock does is control movement. You want to carry weight you need air bags, bigger truck, heavier spring rates, bigger overloads, etc. Any one of those or even a combination of those.

vgoodson91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tuff truck springs are where it's at if you're going to carry weight often with your 1500. I've got the TTC-1223 springs in mine. They doubled as a lift as well. I've got just a slight maybe 1" rake with my bilsteins at 2.8". I've pulled my dads 24ft big bend stock trailer with a couple horses in it and my truck never sagged below perfectly level. I also have an RKI steel toolbox and another 3 drawer box full of tools in my bed probably 400-500 lbs in the bed at all times.
They make a few different models, I contacted Tuff truck and told them about my truck and what I use it for and they recommended the 1223's to me. Best $250 I've spent on my truck so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
You need to upgrade springs as well as shocks. I have the super springs variable rear springs. Tuft truck springs are great as well. They have variable rate or heavy duty depending on what you are looking for. I changed mine out when I upgraded rear shocks to bilstein 5100 to match my front. This s the way to go... an increase payloads by 450lbs or more without the sag.:favorites13:

david potts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When replacing shocks on a 1500, can I simply buy shocks for a 2500 and install them instead?. I already have airbags.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
No shocks just control the tire bounce/ up and down rebound putting 2500 shock on will do you zero good.
Get some new rear shocks if you have one leaking or bad, Bilstiens make great shocks for our 1500s.

Then do like was said buy some new rear coil springs and or a good set of air bags.

TuffTruck 1211s would be a good choice for new rear coil springs.
Timbergrove makes a great set of airbags for our trucks.
Could be your shocks are leaking because you have overloaded the truck.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Exactly what I was thinking, too much load, too much shock travel, while under duress.
Get a set of tutruck springs. and a set of bilstiens.,
I have always had 3/4 ton trucks, for last several decades.
Did not get one, this time, because I am older, don;t do much anymore and want better fuel economy.

3/4 tons are most for hauling or towing. unless you polan on serious efforts in one or both, 1.2 ton truck should do ya.

New Springs, New Shocks and if needed, load range E tires.
will literally feel like an entirely different trruck, next time you put it under a load.
you can even buy springs that will keep the OEM squishy soft ride.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Exactly what I was thinking, too much load, too much shock travel, while under duress.
Get a set of tutruck springs. and a set of bilstiens.,
I have always had 3/4 ton trucks, for last several decades.
Did not get one, this time, because I am older, don;t do much anymore and want better fuel economy.

3/4 tons are most for hauling or towing. unless you polan on serious efforts in one or both, 1.2 ton truck should do ya.

New Springs, New Shocks and if needed, load range E tires.
will literally feel like an entirely different trruck, next time you put it under a load.
you can even buy springs that will keep the OEM squishy soft ride.

+1. Installing the TTC-1211's, 5100s all around, and BFG LT's (Load Range E) made a world of difference for when I need my truck to do truck things. Its a lot more similar to the old mans 2500 in regards to how it handles a load (within reason for a half ton), but I get way better fuel economy even with MDS disabled (His is also a 5.7), I also much prefer the ride now unloaded since it feels and acts like a truck instead of a crossover...

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I changed the springs in my truck and couldn't be happier. I tow a small camper and I now have 0 squat when pulling it, hauling heavy bed loads, or pulling my landscaping trailer. Plus, its ridiculously easy to change the rear springs.

Arctic RJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am considering changing front shocks. I recently put in the Air Ride 1000 on the rear which now, as you mentioned, makes the rear act more like a three-quarter ton. The front however seems spongy. Would Bilstein 5100s in the front be a good solution?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am considering changing front shocks. I recently put in the Air Ride 1000 on the rear which now, as you mentioned, makes the rear act more like a three-quarter ton. The front however seems spongy. Would Bilstein 5100s in the front be a good solution?

The 5100s ain't bad, but if you don't want to increase the front height I would save a few bucks and go with the 4600 HD's.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963