USB stick full of tunes... will it work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So MP3, BUT is that supported by standard issue Microsoft apps or do I have to buy or download something additional?
If you are using Windows Media, the default is WMA, you can change this to MP3 and then choose the bit rate you wish to RIP to.

2016 1500 Outdoorsman 4X4 5.7L

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone answered whether it's formatted for FAT32 or NTFS?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can adjust this on your computer. The higher the bit rate the better the sound. Most MP3s are ripped at a 128kbps. When I convert my CDs (you know those little round metallic looking things [emoji5]) to MP3, I RIP them at 320kbps. This takes up more space but the sound quality and level is much better. Most conversion software can also manage sound levels for the files.
I personally not a big fan of MP3s but since my truck does not have a CD player, they are my only option. New head unit is in the near future.

Hell Yeah X 5...

I use a 128GB USB stick loaded with MP3 files ripped from CD at 320 kbps.

I wish I could load up a stick with high resolution FLAC but the head unit won't process that audio codec. So, I put about 50 GB of FLAC on the Samsung tablet and use the headphone out connection to the aux in connection on the media center. It sounds pretty darn good but the tablet is a little awkward to manage in the truck.

OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Has anyone answered whether it's formatted for FAT32 or NTFS?

FAT32 is almost always the default when you buy one, so I suspect it'll work just fine (given my profession, I actually have to check for that, since sometimes I scrounge up a stick from my old pile that's formatted in ext2/3/4 or worse...)

OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
If you are using Windows Media, the default is WMA, you can change this to MP3 and then choose the bit rate you wish to RIP to.

For those of us who use Macs, I believe that iTunes still has the ability to rip from CD to 320k .wav files (It's been years since I tested that out though, since I haven't had a CD-ROM drive in my laptops in like forever...)

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
When you copy music from CD to USB stick, is there any specific format you have to use or does the windows player app use the right one automatically.

I've got a 32GB hard drive in my system, but I would really like to upload by song and not by disk to avoid all the "B" side ash and trash.

You want to put it in mp3 format, using 320 Kbps bit rate. You want mp3 so you can use the voice command on the UConnect to play songs, i.e. "play song Stairway to Heaven" or "play album Led Zeppelin 4" and not be fiddling with the touchscreen or audio controls (assumes you have steering wheel audio controls). You want to use the higher bit rate of 320 Kbps for the highest quality sound since 320 Kbps uses the least compression in mp3 format.

I've found that ripping CD's using Windows Media Player to 320 Kbps results in sound files with insufficient sound levels. If I rip CD's to mp3 and don't adjust the sound levels I end up playing the songs at a volume setting of 25 or higher just to hear the music (8.4 UConnect system) I use the freeware Audacity Sound Editor to boost the sound levels (and sometimes the bass levels, Mwa-ha-ha-ha!!) Audacity is an awesome program. I use the free Mp3Tag to edit the song/album information, maybe adding the album art. Actually, I'm quite **** about creating mp3 files for use in my truck. I might do a write up someday so others can suffer with my obsession.

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've found that ripping CD's using Windows Media Player to 320 Kbps results in sound files with insufficient sound levels. If I rip CD's to mp3 and don't adjust the sound levels I end up playing the songs at a volume setting of 25 or higher just to hear the music (8.4 UConnect system) I use the freeware Audacity Sound Editor to boost the sound levels (and sometimes the bass levels said:
Thanks for this tip. I will try that program. A while back I had posted a question in this forum about the sound level difference but no one seemed to have a solution at that time.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I use dbpoweramp cd ripper as I already had dbpoweramp's products licensed for ripping CD's to my digital music collection on the network attached storage (NAS) device.

ThrashN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s how I do it. I have a 2015 with the smaller screen radio. I have it plugged into the USB port in the center console

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No SD slot on the newer trucks. I am not sure when they dropped them but my 2017 does not have one. USB stick works great but the volume is lower for that as opposed to sat radio. You have to turn it up for USB and turn it back down before selecting another source. Otherwise you will put the truck in park when you go back to Sirius.

I don't worry about navigating song selection with the USB. I just pick songs I like when I load it and use shuffle to vary the selection.

My 2016 has the SD slot, not sure if it's an option or not though.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Checked my build sheet, in optional items it lists Media Hub (SD, USB, AUx). And in a separate line item it lists "Remote SD Card Slot"

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Checked my build sheet, in optional items it lists Media Hub (SD, USB, AUx). And in a separate line item it lists "Remote SD Card Slot"

My 2015 with the 8.4 UConnect had the SD Card; my 2018 with the 8.4 UConnect does not have the SD card.

I now have a 32GB SD card loaded with songs that I'm going to need to transfer to a USB stick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This may not be an issue for the newer trucks, but my 2014 will not read anything over 128gb, I believe. I use an SD card, but I was limited to what capacity of card I could use.

The other odd thing about it... I have something like 5k songs (don't know the exact number) loaded on it, but my screen will only show 2500 give or take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
This may not be an issue for the newer trucks, but my 2014 will not read anything over 128gb, I believe. I use an SD card, but I was limited to what capacity of card I could use.

The other odd thing about it... I have something like 5k songs (don't know the exact number) loaded on it, but my screen will only show 2500 give or take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had my 2015 with the SD card slot I was told by UConnect that 32GB was the largest memory, USB or SD card, that the system could accept but I've read many, many reports like yours of people using 64GB and 128GB SD cards and sticks.

For a while I was having trouble with the system responding to voice requests for songs, albums, artists, etc.

Me: "Play song 'Bad Company'."
Truck: "I'm sorry, I'm still indexing your library."

20 minutes of driving later, same thing--"I'm sorry, I'm still indexing your library."

A UConnect tech told me my 32GB stick needed to be subdivided into subfolders with 4GB maximum capacity. Funny, but my wife's 2016 Charger had no problem with any USB stick or SD card I threw at it. So I went to all the trouble to subdivide my USB stick into 4GB subfolders but the problem persisted.

Even though my system said I had all updated software patches I took it to the dealer and they updated it. Worked perfectly from them on. Bonus--I got rid of the cheerily smarmy female voice that came with my 2015 and got the somewhat sultry female voice of my wife's 2016 Charger!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When I had my 2015 with the SD card slot I was told by UConnect that 32GB was the largest memory, USB or SD card, that the system could accept but I've read many, many reports like yours of people using 64GB and 128GB SD cards and sticks.

Windows by default won't format SD cards over 32Gig in FAT32. There are freeware programs you can use to format any size SD(or micro SD) card in FAT32
I use a 64Gig in mine with no issues.

OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Windows by default won't format SD cards over 32Gig in FAT32. There are freeware programs you can use to format any size SD(or micro SD) card in FAT32
I use a 64Gig in mine with no issues.

I'd like to second this. If you have a Mac (or access to a Linux box to run "mkfs.vfat"), it'll fix you up fine.

That said, most of them come out of the box pre-formatted the way you need them. This should only be an issue if you 'recycle' an SD card from certain brands of camera, or had reformatted it for some reason.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca