Used my new 2019 as a truck ... Wife couldn't believe it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gen3CoupeTX

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't really ask much of the 'truck' portion of pickups. I never used my SRT-10 as a truck, so I thought I'd break this new Ram in with a proper outing. I couldn't even tell the 1,100 pounds of rock was there. And yes, I know you don't need blankets and spongy things when you have a bed liner, but it made me feel better. Really liking the Ram life so far.
NR5KeHJ.jpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I understand the fascination with trucks and I understand some users don't necessarily put their truck through a lot of hauling. But I've always used mine as a truck. I do line the beds as at the end of the day I still like to have a good lookin' truck.

OP
OP
Gen3CoupeTX

Gen3CoupeTX

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even though I mentioned going to Home Depot to rent one of their trucks to haul the stones, I quickly changed course. The look my wife gave me when I mentioned that helped convince me ;-)

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this a joke?

I had more rocks in the back of my new 4 door jeep wrangler.

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Is this a joke?

I had more rocks in the back of my new 4 door jeep wrangler.

I wouldn’t think it is. Most trucks aren’t used for this kind of thing. I’ve only used mine once for something this heavy, stone dust, for my dads patio. I transported plenty of other unusually shaped items though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't haul **** in the back of my truck except golf clubs, guns, coolers, tools and stuff like that. If I want to haul anything I pretty much always use a trailer. For me driving a truck is more about safety than anything else. Would you rather hit a deer or a hog or another vehicle with your truck or a Prius..............

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I don't really ask much of the 'truck' portion of pickups. I never used my SRT-10 as a truck, so I thought I'd break this new Ram in with a proper outing. I couldn't even tell the 1,100 pounds of rock was there. And yes, I know you don't need blankets and spongy things when you have a bed liner, but it made me feel better. Really liking the Ram life so far.
NR5KeHJ.jpg

You must have hand loaded those.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Using a truck as a truck? Whoever has heard of such lunacy? ..LOL

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Could have left the lomax on. Just saying..

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I say MOST people could get away with something smaller. Seems like not many use a 1500 anywhere near the limits.

As for being safer, I'm not so sure about that.

Matthew9227

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The safer statement is not valid lol the Chrysler 200 is a safer vehicle. The truck may feel safer but in the real world most cars are a safer ride in a major accident.

Buck-One

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7l HEMI
It looks like you probably ended up no worse for wear with the padding idea. I can't blame ya for being cautious with your new baby. My wife once borrowed my then pristine 2004 Dakota Sport to run errands. She passed a construction site and thought "That big rock would look great in our yard!". So she sweet talked a bucket operator into placing it in the bed of my truck (which had never hauled anything but furniture). She came home in tears with the rear tires buried in the wheel wells because that "big rock" was a fricken boulder by any definition of the word and it damaged the bed side wall of my baby when the guy loaded it. I had to call in a favor to get a 1,500 lb. engine lift which struggled and groaned to raise it just enough to drive out from under it.
Since that day I have had an aversion to rocks in my truck beds.

Chigurh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I love about my truck is a load like that can go in the back, or something oversized and bulky then I throw my wife and 3 kids in the backseat and off we go.

OP
OP
Gen3CoupeTX

Gen3CoupeTX

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I could have left the Lomax on ... 1,100 pounds of rock doesn't make as big a pile in the back of a truck as I thought it would. It sure sounded like a lot though! And yes, I did hand load them. And off loaded them by hand. And then carried them all over the yard to place them just like my wife wanted. Feeling sorry for me yet? Nah, I wouldn't either! I was less worried about the bed than I was the truck getting damaged just sitting at the stone place. Forklifts, severely dented trucks, pallets being thrown around. Let's go easy folks!

OP
OP
Gen3CoupeTX

Gen3CoupeTX

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice set-up for the bike! I put a wheel chock in my older Silverado and used aluminum ramps to ride my Buell into the bed. Scary operation ... Especially the backing it out part.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have regularly hauled over 3000 lbs of concrete and stone with my 2500 truck and have used all my pickups as trucks but I know based on all the raised trucks I see on the road that for most guys they are only very expensive toys used to boost their egos.

And then there are all the 4WD vehicles that never make it off the pavement. A friend would only buy Land Rovers for the status and he did not know how to shift it into low range or why it had a selector to lock the differentials but then he only drove it on pavement.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Using a truck as a truck? Whoever has heard of such lunacy? ..LOL

This is why trucks have become "wimpmobiles". I am always amazed at people who post here complaining that their truck has a harsh ride. If you wnat a nice smooth, comfortable ride get a f**ing car. And oh my god the horror of getting a scratch on the bed of your truck.
AAAAHHHHH!!!!:Rant: