want to do 12v LED strip lighting in cap/bed of truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjc155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Figured that this would get the most looks here.

I am addicted to fly fishing and get out btw 100-200 days a year. I have cap on my '14 1500 and have it set up as a small living quarters so I can park at county parks, public access points etc at rivers and sleep in my truck. Also have a couple of yearly trips that I take (salmon camp, steelhead camp) that I sleep in the back of my truck.

I'm looking to run some 12v direct LED strip lights on the ceiling of my cap so that I have some good lighting while getting ready while still dark/coming in late at night or while getting ready to hit the rack etc.

Having never dealt with this stuff I think I have it figured out. Gonna run from constant hot on the 7 pin trailer plug, up to a fuse holder (any idea what amp fuse??) to a plug so I can take the cap off if needed. The other side of the plug will run to a 12v outlet to charge my phone and then through a switch to the lights. I'm thinking two strips, one down either side of the ceiling of the cap. Thinking 18ga wire for my runs.

Sound good?? I figure I'm not the first to think about this? Anyone have pics, diagrams and/or light strip suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any info. Getting old using a flash light or LED lantern while i'm out doing what I do.

J-

Lrdofh8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amazon sells Led strips in 5 yard (15 feet) reels. They are made by Supernight, are self adhesive, are waterproof, and you can cut them into any length you need. You can also purchase solder-less connectors for any pieces you cut. To be honest, you should wire them up by themselves (without the phone charger plug), that way you wont need an amp fuse. I have done many LED projects, here's my most recent:

20140801_225602_zpsf9eb7916.jpeg

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
your plan should work with no issues.

most of your questions determine on the lights you buy (fuse size, wiring). the wiring should just be a 12+ and a ground.

lrdofh8- if you remove the cig plug on it you would need a fuse. the cig plug usually has a fuse in it. if im reading your correct.

Lrdofh8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lrdofh8- if you remove the cig plug on it you would need a fuse. the cig plug usually has a fuse in it. if im reading your correct.

My bad, I thought he said he was running off the hot lead from the trailer harness.