wanting to empty tank on 04 quadcab 1500 4.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goagoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
04 dodge ram 1500 4.7l quad cab 2wd.

new to me vehicle,, trying to get it running again..

looking to rid the tank of 2+yr old crap gas probably older .. has been sitting so will refill fluids..
I read somewhere that you can siphon w/o tapping fuel pump relay and removing rail on side of gas tank funnelling it out:
Is it possible to take the rear left wheel off for room to unclamp fuel filler hose and take it off to siphon it out with a hose transfer bulb..?
is the anti-siphon ball there right on the side of the tank when i remove the tank fill hose?? so id pull it out and siphon away?
Not familiar with this. I read about it somewhere being done this way, so im assuming this would work?

thanks for any help. if not this way ill try to divert from fuel rail to a bucket w/ pump

deet fuel line and injector cleaner in tank after i get the old fuel out.. hopefully the crap will be cleared out by then..

Dont want to have to drop tank.. id go so far as cutting bed and making a custom hinge flap above pump to easily access fuel pump lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have to ask, why did you decide not to drop the fuel tank ?

It is actually easier to lift the bed, than drop the tank, especially if the tank is full

If you don't need to access any thing except the tank
Removing the left rear tire & inner fender
should give you access to hose that connects to the fuel tank

If you are going to use a pump & a hose to draw off the fluid in the tank, don't move the hose around using force, you don't want to damage any parts of the fuel pump

OP
OP
G

goagoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i dont have enough manpower to pull bed on own or good clearance for tank in a weird spot over dirt!!, 1 guy job. want to avoid running truck w junky gas b4 i put clean stuff in.

So the the filler hose doesnt unclamp from tank? Im assuming you mean a different hose like the vent hose?? not sure where its at. I know going through the gas filler hose the siphon hose wouldnt go past 2.5 ft then it stopped, so im guessing the green anti siphon ball is in there blocking me.

It may need a fuel pump anyhow, friend said was whiny when it was run...

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
You could unbolt the bed mounts and jack the bed from one side, then you'll have access. Can be done alone. Also, If the tank isn't full then you can lower it to where you can sneak in there, that can be done alone too.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If the fuel has been in there that long, drop the tank. It needs to be pressure washed inside anyhow, and the fuel filter, pump etc should be inspected and cleaned up. If you might need a fuel pump, even more reason to drop it and do it right. If it is in a bad spot to do that, hook on and tow it to a better one.

If you don't want to do that then just take the fuel line and run it into a bucket, use the fuel pump to mostly empty the tank.

ncdodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I agree will proably need a new fuel pump or will soon! Be prepared for rusted out locking tabs and ring that holds the pump on.