Warranty extensions for CHMSL and rear window leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Here is my sad story and somewhat final resolution I hope for water leaking at the right upper corner of my rear window. I first sent the vehicle to my local dealer for the leak, told them exactly where the leaks was. They called me later that day to say the ordered a new 3rd brake light assembly and would need the truck another day to install the part. This was in late January or early February. Received the truck after the repair, then went on an trip to Lake Havasu in early March. Came home to find water vapor had condensed on the inside of all my glass. Took pictures for the return trip to dealership for another round of troubleshooting the issue. When I finally was able to get my vehicle back to the dealer on April 8th, they called several hour later to inform me the found the leak. (Exactly where I told them on the first visit). They said they would need to attempt to inject sealant into the area where the leak was, oh and by the way since this was a "glass" issue it was not covered by the 3 year / 36K warranty. This truck is a 2021 with only 12K on the clock. I bought used and was never informed of the 12 month / 12K glass coverage. A Stellantis exclusive loophole. After several days dealer said they were still having an issue stopping the leak. Meanwhile I found the TSB from the forum and mentioned it to the dealer. Their response was by VIN my truck was not covered. Made a claim to Stellantis and stated that I considered this a factory defect and wanted assistance on this issue. After 2 weeks of not having my vehicle they approved a goodwill replacement with $100.00 copay!!! When I got the vehicle back from all the back and forth the slider wasn't working and I had MOLD growing inside the vehicle. Back to the phone I go, they offered to detail the vehicle and found that window installer failed to connect wire harness to rear window. Long story short after my vehicle being at the dealership for over 16 days to repair water intrusion, detailing, I am still requesting warranty extensions for all electronic modules inside the cab of the vehicle and refund of my copayment. BTW, Stellantis is the only manufacturer to consider glass a consumable item and limit warranty to 12 month / 12K coverage. Do not believe the 3 year / 36K warranty statement on the window sticker. I learned a lesson regarding this.............. They closed my case today. I am not finished on this matter.
That's weird, they replaced my rear window the first time because it was leaking under the 3Yr/36K warranty.

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is my sad story and somewhat final resolution I hope for water leaking at the right upper corner of my rear window. I first sent the vehicle to my local dealer for the leak, told them exactly where the leaks was. They called me later that day to say the ordered a new 3rd brake light assembly and would need the truck another day to install the part. This was in late January or early February. Received the truck after the repair, then went on an trip to Lake Havasu in early March. Came home to find water vapor had condensed on the inside of all my glass. Took pictures for the return trip to dealership for another round of troubleshooting the issue. When I finally was able to get my vehicle back to the dealer on April 8th, they called several hour later to inform me the found the leak. (Exactly where I told them on the first visit). They said they would need to attempt to inject sealant into the area where the leak was, oh and by the way since this was a "glass" issue it was not covered by the 3 year / 36K warranty. This truck is a 2021 with only 12K on the clock. I bought used and was never informed of the 12 month / 12K glass coverage. A Stellantis exclusive loophole. After several days dealer said they were still having an issue stopping the leak. Meanwhile I found the TSB from the forum and mentioned it to the dealer. Their response was by VIN my truck was not covered. Made a claim to Stellantis and stated that I considered this a factory defect and wanted assistance on this issue. After 2 weeks of not having my vehicle they approved a goodwill replacement with $100.00 copay!!! When I got the vehicle back from all the back and forth the slider wasn't working and I had MOLD growing inside the vehicle. Back to the phone I go, they offered to detail the vehicle and found that window installer failed to connect wire harness to rear window. Long story short after my vehicle being at the dealership for over 16 days to repair water intrusion, detailing, I am still requesting warranty extensions for all electronic modules inside the cab of the vehicle and refund of my copayment. BTW, Stellantis is the only manufacturer to consider glass a consumable item and limit warranty to 12 month / 12K coverage. Do not believe the 3 year / 36K warranty statement on the window sticker. I learned a lesson regarding this.............. They closed my case today. I am not finished on this matter.
How did you get ahold of Stellantis?

OP
OP
mikeru

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's weird, they replaced my rear window the first time because it was leaking under the 3Yr/26K warranty.
Same for us. In fact, the 3yr/36mo warranty was about two months from expiring. The 1yr/12mo warranty is for the actual glass, not the entire window assembly. The service advisor was wrong and/or lied to @RJ2021RAM.

RJ2021RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Initiated case by phone conversation. I am currently writing a letter to Ram Customer Care in Auburn Hills MI detailing my case and expectation's to resolve to my satisfaction. Will keep everyone posted on their response. I just find it odd that Stellantis is treating glass as a consumable item and limiting warranty repairs on water issues, also I have never heard of copayment on a "goodwill" warranty repair. I am also considering contacting our state Attorney Generals office on this matter. Consumers should not be treated in this manner.

Nick081974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my truck back, NOT fixed though! The dealership replaced the RF hub, they forgot to program the other key so had to go back the next day for that, anyways they got the truck running and wrapped the third brake light and back window in plastic tape (crash tape) because Ram is still stating over 6 WEEKS OUT on the third brake light and the back window. I mean WTF??!! How can this be acceptable? So now I’m basically driving around a ticking time bomb just waiting for the minute that the water gets past the plastic and the RF module shorts out again and the truck turns to a brick! SAD! It angers me that others have text book failures and Ram won’t stand behind it and says a VIN coverage issue, just speechless!!

RJ2021RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I found odd was my dealer had a rear window assembly in their parts department. Slider and defrost to boot/ Service adviser indicated it was because of high failure rates!!! Anybody want to pursue class action?

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
What I found odd was my dealer had a rear window assembly in their parts department. Slider and defrost to boot/ Service adviser indicated it was because of high failure rates!!! Anybody want to pursue class action?
Class action has already happened and Judge dismissed it. Google it.

OP
OP
mikeru

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Like Mike already said, the class action against Stellantis for this problem was dismissed.