Washer fluid light stuck on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Even when full with washer fluid my 2014 ram on the CPU the dash says low washer fluid constantly what gives.

Ty

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Take off the grill, take out the washer fluid bottle. Unplug the pump. Pull pump from washer fluid bottle, it's a press fit into a rubber grommet.

Flush the bottle out. Plug the pump up, if it activities from the switch, put it back into the bottle. If no, you need a pump.

What you will wash out of the bottle will be gunk like moss and mold.

It took about an hour to fix mine.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Rain-X fluid can gum up the senseor for the washer fluid level. That probably needs to be cleaned. Then use something else for your washer fluid from now on.

I have never had any problems using Rain X washer fluid, which one are you guys having problems with? I used the Rain-X pictured below from March of 2006 to Feb of 2021 in my 2006 along with my wife's 3 different Dodge Journey, 2010, 2014 & 2017 and none of them ever had problems using it in temps from 105 to -20 below zero...

Attachments

• Rain X ALL SEASON.jpeg
    Rain X ALL SEASON.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 3

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never had any problems using Rain X washer fluid, which one are you guys having problems with? I used the Rain-X pictured below from March of 2006 to Feb of 2021 in my 2006 along with my wife's 3 different Dodge Journey, 2010, 2014 & 2017 and none of them ever had problems using it in temps from 105 to -20 below zero...
It was that stuff i used in my 2011 town and country and I had issues with it along with others. However it seems there is a good bit of luck involved... some use it and never have an issue. I use it in my non chrysler products because my wife keeps buying it by mistake but... won't put it in my truck or her van.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It was that stuff i used in my 2011 town and country and I had issues with it along with others. However it seems there is a good bit of luck involved... some use it and never have an issue. I use it in my non chrysler products because my wife keeps buying it by mistake but... won't put it in my truck or her van.
We have used this Rain X in over a dozen different vehicles since 1995 from all 3 brands along with Nissan and Toyotas and not once had a problem from using it and know of many others who also use it without problems, I guess we are all just very lucky...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
We have used this Rain X in over a dozen different vehicles since 1995 from all 3 brands along with Nissan and Toyotas and not once had a problem from using it and know of many others who also use it without problems, I guess we are all just very lucky...
Do a search on here,you'll find quite a few posts about Rain-X Washer fluid gumming up the sensor and the nozzles.It's fairly common knowledge on here that Rain-X washer fluid causes issues,the de-icer version you're using might be okay,but the washer fluid versions don't have a great rep in Chryco products.They have a few varieties of fluids.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Do a search on here,you'll find quite a few posts about Rain-X Washer fluid gumming up the sensor and the nozzles.It's fairly common knowledge on here that Rain-X washer fluid causes issues,the de-icer version you're using might be okay,but the washer fluid versions don't have a great rep in Chryco products.They have a few varieties of fluids.

I now use either the all season Rain X or 2 in 1 washer fluid over the past 5 years without any problems, I have never tried the washer fluid additive in yellow bottle because I thought it was just to replenish the ability to bead/shed water and not for clean the windshield...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I now use either the all season Rain X or 2 in 1 washer fluid over the past 5 years without any problems, I have never tried the washer fluid additive in yellow bottle because I thought it was just to replenish the ability to bead/shed water and not for clean the windshield...
You should go buy a lottery ticket,as you're one of the lucky ones,lol. Lots of guys have had issues with Rain-X,plus it's not much better then the cheap stuff you get at the local gas station.The couple times i used it,i wasn't impressed,i find polishing the windows every time i polish the vehicle works just about as good.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Now that I'm getting old and stupid, sometimes I forget the past and buy some more Rain X when I see it in the store. I have had some Chrysler products that this has never happened too, but I do recall more than one of my Chevy trucks that this Rain X would gum up the pump/sensor.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I recall this rain-x issue from many years ago. If my memory is correct, the issue was with the orange-colored rain-x solvent and some, but not all manufacturer's fluid level sensors. It contained silicon which put a difficult-to-remove coating on the fluid level sensor causing false readings. I remember there was a class action lawsuit filed over this but I don't recall any ending.

For some reason, I have the impression someone, either Rain-x or the manufacturers did something to stop the issue but I could be wrong about that.

Again, this was an issue with the orange-colored rain-x. The type of rain-x fluid and the brand of the level sensor played into the issue and why some have/had and others didn't have issues with the washer fluid level readings.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What if I run hot water with mold/cleaner ect through the system anybody tried this?
99% rubbing alcohol seems to work for some guys.Flush the washer bottle out with hot water,then fill it about half full with rubbing alcohol and see if it helps,if it does you're laughing,then start using good old cheap blue washer fluid.If that doesn't work,you might have to source a new sensor

G Allen

Reaction score
Ram Year
I've also been using Rain-X for years without any issues. But...I use the stuff that is good to -20℉ WITHOUT the de-icer in it. Multiple vehicles, multiple Makes.

OP
OP
Brian Keiper

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
99% rubbing alcohol seems to work for some guys.Flush the washer bottle out with hot water,then fill it about half full with rubbing alcohol and see if it helps,if it does you're laughing,then start using good old cheap blue washer fluid.If that doesn't work,you might have to source a new sensor
Cool thanks dang sensors eh..