Water on Driver side floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I got my truck back after 2 weeks. They removed the fender and applied some type of epoxy over the weld edges. They then water tested it and said it was no longer leaking. The rain we received today determined that was a lie. Went outside and immediately spotted the water dripping into the cab, not nearly as much as it used to but it's still leaking from somewhere. I took the truck back to the dealership today and the service manager was speechless. He's about done with this truck and so am I. He ended up taking it again and is letting it sit out in the rain all night so they can attempt to pinpoint where it's leaking, he is also going to go back behind the fender and apply more epoxy/sealant. This is the 3rd time now and Virginia Lemon Laws allow me to request a refund/buyback from FCA. Not sure if I want to go through with it though because I love the truck, just has that damn water leak.
That's horrible man. Sorry to hear this.
Any updates??

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the truck back, they went behind the fender again and applied more sealant, this time they applied it on every weld edge they could possibly see. It's supposed to rain here the next 3 days so I'll see if it worked.
Damnnnnn.
Good luck man. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
RAMan92

RAMan92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Well it rained all morning and when I checked the truck earlier it was bone dry. Looks like they may have finally fixed it, took them 3 trips to the dealer and over 3 weeks but it's fixed for now.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it rained all morning and when I checked the truck earlier it was bone dry. Looks like they may have finally fixed it, took them 3 trips to the dealer and over 3 weeks but it's fixed for now.
Good!!
Let's hope it stays that way!!

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year

I wonder how long the sealant will last that dealer applies, 1 yr, 3yrs, or just out of warranty. Can't help but think it's not going to be as good as when applied during assembly.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I wonder how long the sealant will last that dealer applies, 1 yr, 3yrs, or just out of warranty. Can't help but think it's not going to be as good as when applied during assembly.

My thinking as well.
That truck would be sitting in someone else's driveway fro the rest of it's Life.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

So glad to hear this update, RAMan92! Please do not hesitate to send us a private message if you are in need of any additional support down the road.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
RAMan92

RAMan92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I was thinking the same thing, I asked the Service Manager how long the stuff lasts and he said for me to expect it to last the life of the vehicle, it's a very particular sealant, that's what took the longest on the repair was actually acquiring the stuff because it's heavy duty grade. As long as it's not Military grade, I think everything will be okay.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting to see if they get it solved. My truck sat all week backed in to my parking spot at the end of my driveway, which slopes down towards the left (so driver side), and we had torrential rain all week. Sat morning I hit remote start (20 degrees) and got some tools together while I waited for the windshield to defrost. When I got in I noticed there was frost on the inside, and some frost icicles on the side of the dash. So I picked up the drivers mat and it was damp underneath - not soaked, but wet enough that I could feel it was wet and obviously enough humidity in the truck to frost the inside.

So I pulled the rubber mat and put the heat on full blast, AC mode to dehumidify the cabin. By the time I got to Lowe's it was pretty dry.

Still, that water came from somewhere. I didn't drive the truck all week so it couldn't have been from splashing on the firewall. I'll have to check the pinch weld and see if anything is obvious.

Well, I went out today after I got home from work and checked the truck since it was raining all day. The floor was dry under the floor mat but interestingly, when I opened the door I heard and saw a big water splash from the bottom of the door.

Someone else had suggested the door seal holding water until it overflowed into the truck and that might be the case here. My Titan used to have the same problem; the door seal was too tight and would hold water in the doors until you pulled the seal to let it drain.

So I will check the truck in the morning and see if I see a big water splash, but this makes sense because it was only wet right next to the door at the steepest angle. I'll post back here with results.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: floor completely dry, so I am almost positive it was the door seal holding water in until it could get over the edge. Someone else had mentioned this (in this thread? I can't remember) and that sounds plausible now based on the fact that the truck has the driver's side facing downhill both front to back and side to side, and that I heard a water splash when I opened the door on Monday night. I checked it again Tuesday morning, but the rain essentially quit overnight.

My Nissan Titan used to have this kind of problem with the door seal. They would either get junk in them and clog, or the seal would hold so tight to the door that the water would get stuck in the door. I didn't bother looking to see where the drain holes are in the Ram door but it might be that I can't leave it parked angled downhill 2 ways like that for a long time if we've had a ton of rain like we've had lately. Since the back of the door closes against the pillar I would bet that if water built up that way it would just spill out against the pillar and run outside the truck.

BE_R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read on another RAM forum that this was an issue with some of the new 2019 DT Models. I was originally going to purchase a 2019 Rebel until I checked the drivers side carpet before a test drive and it was damp and wet underneath. There is a TSB for this type of leak.

View attachment 192642
Thank you RO9UE for posting the TSB. I had this problem and dealer couldn't find it until they saw the TSB that I brought to show to them. It will take a few days to repair since it has to go to the body shop so here's hoping this is the end of the problem.

Last edited:

W4RL0CK

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you RO9UE for posting the TSB. I had this problem and dealer couldn't find it until they saw the TSB that I brought to show to them. It will take a few days to repair since it has to go to the body shop so here's hoping this is the end of the problem.
No problem! Sorry to hear you’ve had to deal with that leak issue.

BE_R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem! Sorry to hear you’ve had to deal with that leak issue.

The truck is in the shop now so I will wait to claim success until I get it back! A bit frustrating that the dealer had no idea that the TSB existed,

I should say that this is in my 2020 1500, and the problem only shows up when I drive on wet surfaces. It does not happen in a rainstorm if the truck is parked.

Shrike20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi V8
Well I just found out that I too am a member of the soaked drivers side carpet club. Yesterday I lifted up my rubber floor mats to shake them out and noticed the bottom was all wet. Upon further inspection I noticed the carpet is saturated. So I began taking things apart to find the source of the leak. I poured a bottle of water on the bottom part of the windshield where the wiper cowl is and low and behold I see water running not dripping out of the body seams by the drivers side footwell. This is extremely frustrating. Just paid 55k for this truck (2020 ram 1500 big horn quad cab night edition with a 2/20 build date) and now I have this problem. It only has 600 miles on it as of right now and It takes the whole new car excitement away and turns into frustration and disappointment. So I took it to my local dealership (not the one I bought it from since I bought the truck out of state) and they set up an appointment for me on monday the 11th and are going to pull the fender off and reseal the seams. Hopefully this fixes the issue. They said they will need to keep my truck for 2-3 days to make sure the sealant dries properly and then retest for leaks before returning the truck to me. In the meantime I'll be driving a loaner. Ugh not happy

Shrike20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi V8
Well I got my truck back from the dealership today and they said they fixed the leak. Its suppose to rain where I live in the next few days so well see. They found water leaking in from 2 spots. The 1st spot was the one mentioned earlier in this post at the drivers side fender seam and the second was from a misrouted drain tube from.the wiper cowl area. It was actually draining directly into my truck. The had to remove the fender, reseal the fender, reposition and seal the misrouted drain tube and order a new carpet. Dont know if anyone is still reading this thread but I will report back in a few days after we get some rain to make sure the leak was fixed properly. And just for reference for anyone that has this problem, they had my truck for a week so expect to have a loaner for about an week or so. Most of the wait time was due to the waiting time for the carpet to be delivered.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The location of that drain tube would be very helpful so some of us can check to make sure ours is routed properly. ( Kinda like the sunroof drains )

Shrike20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi V8
I actually dont know where that drain tube is located as the dealership did the work for me but I'd imagine you'd have to either remove the fender to reveal its location or maybe you may be able to see it if the wiper cowl was removed. As for the leak it appears as if the dealership has fixed it. We had a few days with significant rain and the carpet is bone dry. Thank goodness for that and I can enjoy my truck again

Xranger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 2020 Ram Rebel and was doing a clean up since we had a nice day. My drivers side floorboard is soaked. Off to the dealership in the morning. I can’t believe this is still an issue. Truck was purchased in October and has just over 10K miles.

Outerbnks1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Laramie with 10k and had the wet carpet when we returned from spring break in March. Has happened 3 more times and I have taken it to the dealer twice and they cannot determine the issue. Glad I found this forum and have sent them the info you guys have been providing - thanks. I hope they can get this taken care of ASAP. Love the truck.