Wear marks on touchscreen.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a friendly tip..invest in a screen protector for the uconnect touchscreens. My truck is only a year old and has permanent wear marks on it already. Looks terrible. Even though it's too late for me, I'm expecting my protector in the mail today. They are pretty cheap on ebay.

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Do you have a link?

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Cstan

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure if my link is working but this is a screenshot of what I bought

Screenshot_20190327-103039_Samsung Internet.jpg

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Just a friendly tip..invest in a screen protector for the uconnect touchscreens. My truck is only a year old and has permanent wear marks on it already. Looks terrible. Even though it's too late for me, I'm expecting my protector in the mail today. They are pretty cheap on ebay.

Its not too late. You can still install a screen protector. I wore out the screen on a Samsung tablet and a screen protector fixed it up and protected from further wear. Cheap enough to try.

Reactions: JB1

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
First post here. I know I'm waking up an older thread here, but it seems relevant. We just picked up a new to us 2018 2500 yesterday, and the touch screen has what looks to be permanent wear marks on it. Tried computer screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth, but it's not helping. There are several heavy areas of wear, which make the screen look permanently finger smudged.

Will these screen protectors hide the wear marks?

Any other ideas to polish out the wear marks before installing a screen protector?

Is this something warranty will cover? It is a Certified pre-owned truck with only 14K miles on it, so still plenty of the 3/36 warranty left. But not sure this would be covered.

As an aside, I can't believe how soft these screens apparently are! I had a Pioneer system in my old truck that never got any wear marks on it even after several years of use.

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First post here. I know I'm waking up an older thread here, but it seems relevant. We just picked up a new to us 2018 2500 yesterday, and the touch screen has what looks to be permanent wear marks on it. Tried computer screen cleaner and a microfiber cloth, but it's not helping. There are several heavy areas of wear, which make the screen look permanently finger smudged.

Will these screen protectors hide the wear marks?

Any other ideas to polish out the wear marks before installing a screen protector?

Is this something warranty will cover? It is a Certified pre-owned truck with only 14K miles on it, so still plenty of the 3/36 warranty left. But not sure this would be covered.

As an aside, I can't believe how soft these screens apparently are! I had a Pioneer system in my old truck that never got any wear marks on it even after several years of use.

If you're still under the bumper to bumper, go to the dealer now and have them look at it for replacement. Don't accept anything less than replacement. A screen protector might help, but sounds like the screen is defective. My 2013 with the 8.4 had around 80k miles when I traded it in and the screen was fine. I did add a screen protector to my 17, definitely gives it a higher class look...screen looks shiny, more glass like but no glare.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I may do that. I have a little over a year left of the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

I spent at least an hour yesterday polishing it with toothpaste. Found that advice on a detailer's site. Got most of it cleaned up, but there are some trouble spots.

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may do that. I have a little over a year left of the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

I spent at least an hour yesterday polishing it with toothpaste. Found that advice on a detailer's site. Got most of it cleaned up, but there are some trouble spots.

Probably wouldn't mention that to the dealer. The sooner you start a paper trail with the factory warranty, the better; don't forget the 3 years is from original first sale date so you might be close to the warranty ending if it was first sold when 2018's came out in 2017. It also helps if your dealer is good and cares about customers.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
You either need some hand lotion or a manicure at the local salon.

it’s a touchscreen, not a typewriter

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i put the "cheap" one from Amazon on a year ago and it still looks new. Was easy to install and no bubbles, couldn't be happier with it.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I may do that. I have a little over a year left of the bumper-to-bumper warranty.What's

Probably wouldn't mention that to the dealer. The sooner you start a paper trail with the factory warranty, the better; don't forget the 3 years is from original first sale date so you might be close to the warranty ending if it was first sold when 2018's came out in 2017. It also helps if your dealer is good and cares about customers.
Thanks for the advice. I have until 7/21 for the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I won't put many miles on it, so it's the date that is important. Might as well run it in soon to see what they say. Worst that can happen is for them say no, I guess.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You either need some hand lotion or a manicure at the local salon.

it’s a touchscreen, not a typewriter
Not sure what you mean. I just got the truck. The wear was on it when we bought it. Thought it was just smudges until we tried to clean it up at home.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure what you mean. I just got the truck. The wear was on it when we bought it. Thought it was just smudges until we tried to clean it up at home.
The wear marks seem to be an issue that affects the 2018 and 2019 Panasonic UAS and UAQ radios. I have seen it a lot. The 13 to 17 Harmon radios do not have this issue but they don't work well in the 18 and 19 trucks. The dealer will most likely not address it and say that the marks are from miss use or dirty hands ect but you can give it a try. A screen protector will most likely hide the marks and will also protect the screen from further damage. They also sell replacement screens if it bothers you enough to replace it. @SitKneelBend replaced his a few months ago. He posted how he did it in the UAS/UAQ upgrade thread.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The wear marks seem to be an issue that affects the 2018 and 2019 Panasonic UAS and UAQ radios. I have seen it a lot. The 13 to 17 Harmon radios do not have this issue but they don't work well in the 18 and 19 trucks. The dealer will most likely not address it and say that the marks are from miss use or dirty hands ect but you can give it a try. A screen protector will most likely hide the marks and will also protect the screen from further damage. They also sell replacement screens if it bothers you enough to replace it. @SitKneelBend replaced his a few months ago. He posted how he did it in the UAS/UAQ upgrade thread.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
My latest UAS had a flawless screen a few months ago but the factory Anti-glare screen is already showing wear after two months.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

stagetwo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just changed a screen on a 2019 UAS, every used radio I have bought (except one) had bad wear on them. They are fragile. Just for fun , I tried a few cleaners on the trashed screen. The coating comes off very easily and then it looks like a flounder’s skin. Spots, darker marks, etc. The $100 replacement screens work great. Getting ready to change another soon.

For UAS and UAQ radios:

LG screen part #LA084X01 (SL) (01)

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just changed a screen on a 2019 UAS, every used radio I have bought (except one) had bad wear on them. They are fragile. Just for fun , I tried a few cleaners on the trashed screen. The coating comes off very easily and then it looks like a flounder’s skin. Spots, darker marks, etc. The $100 replacement screens work great. Getting ready to change another soon.

For UAS and UAQ radios:

LG screen part #LA084X01 (SL) (01)
If you go farther and remove the factory screen protector it shiny glass underneath...ba143d3ff371ebe8d845283a24496440.jpgafea24f7c3bdfa18054de55c83f8d184.jpg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I did not know you could change the screen , How hard was that ?

or that is has a plastic protector sheet on it How hard was that ? ! GREAT info Thanks

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I did not know you could change the screen , How hard was that ?

or that is has a plastic protector sheet on it How hard was that ? ! GREAT info Thanks
Screen refinishing...

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/2185094

Screen replacement...

Replacement Screen Part number LA084X01-SL01 (or SL02). Salesman sample screens can be found for under $100 on Alibaba and I bought mine for around $170 on eBay.

The aforementioned screen replacements are for 2018 -2019 classic 8.4 inch screens only. They might work on a 2020 classic too but I haven't opened one of those to see.