Weight Distribution hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
It's all good man; I'm a towing noob myself, but I did a LOT of homework before sinking $900 into our hitch system.
It's nice to hear about another viable option.

I didn't have time to do a lot of homework, and the dealer pretty much threw it into the deal when I bought the travel trailer back in November...but nonetheless I am happy with it.

And now come to think of it, I think I better try hooking up to the new truck to see if I need to adjust the ball height before I actually take it out again...ugh.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's probably not as bad as you think to do. I just adjusted mine myelf last weekend; dropped the whole hitch head on the shank and adjusted the angle to get another link of chain.
Even the 300#/ft was easy to do; get it to 150(which any torque wrench can do), mark it with a sharpie and turn another 1/4.

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX 4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So i didnt get the best picture.

The equalizer hitch was fantastic, this huge 30ft trailer towed more level and less bounce then our previous tiny tent trailer that we didnt use a weight distribution hitch on.

Only downside to this trip was my transmission didnt seem to know what it was doing half the time. Granted i live in washington and we have many hills.

I did have it in tow haul mode and finally i just did the manual shifting and that would stop it from shifting all over as it would like to go into 4 or 5 up a hill.

Attachments

• 970579_568349173210455_229997777_n.jpg
    970579_568349173210455_229997777_n.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 47

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to here it! The Equalizer brand hitch couldn't be easier to use and works great. It's probably the most popular over on the RV forums. I love not having to deal with weight chains or friction sway bars. Plus,you don't need to remove anything when backing into a campsite like you do with some sway bar attachments.

Ray

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It worked great, my mother had called ahead and was gonna have the hitch installed for me, that didnt work out great as the guy bad mouthed the hell out of the hitch saying they dont do these ones anymore and they are so bad. The best part is he put it on wrong, didnt measure where the braces for the trailer went just put them where ever they fit, didnt set the ball height correctly nothing. Im glad it unbolts fairly easy as i went home and had to adjust it in the rain.

Our trailer has a power tongue jack so with the equalizer hitch i just push the button and it lifts the truck to unhook the bars or to install and we are off. I watched the father in law struggle to hook up chains and seen them snap and make all kinds of horrible noisy from being un level or crooked. i didnt want that issue, this hitch is so easy i showed my 8 yr old son how to do it.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bet he bad mouthed it because they sell something else. It's a hugely popular hitch.

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bet he bad mouthed it because they sell something else. It's a hugely popular hitch.

Yea they sell a reese hitch with the chains that actually comes preset to some sort of height, probably didnt help the fact that while talking to him he explained that he worked in detail and slowly worked his way up into being a tech. i felt he was just an old guy set in his ways and didnt care what others said.

Gtsum27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
equalizer or reese dual cam seem to be most popular. I hear good things about the Anderson too (but it is fairly new). hensely is another thing altogether...for 3k it should be too!

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
*snip*

Our trailer has a power tongue jack so with the equalizer hitch i just push the button and it lifts the truck to unhook the bars or to install and we are off. I watched the father in law struggle to hook up chains and seen them snap and make all kinds of horrible noisy from being un level or crooked. i didnt want that issue, this hitch is so easy i showed my 8 yr old son how to do it.

love electric tongue jacks, makes putting the wds on almost an effortless job.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I got an old Reese Cam hitch and I squat like hell. Wish it didn't. 6400lbs empty. I really need something else too. May look into the equalizer. I'm hooked up now ready to leave tomorrow. Hey, I don't need the Hell Bent level kit like it is now.......

OP
OP
J

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got an old Reese Cam hitch and I squat like hell. Wish it didn't. 6400lbs empty. I really need something else too. May look into the equalizer. I'm hooked up now ready to leave tomorrow. Hey, I don't need the Hell Bent level kit like it is now.......

Are you sure everything is set up correctly? i knew mine wasnt right as i had looked at directions online before going to dealer.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With only 10psi in ,y Airlift bags I hooked on and moved our trailer w/o the WD bars and it only leveled:fc5716bd:
It really is a great $100 spent, sorry to sound like such a fanboy.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Are you sure everything is set up correctly? i knew mine wasnt right as i had looked at directions online before going to dealer.

not for certain but I think I do. The thing is its old. I bought it used but the guy towed a longer and heavier camper than mine so I thought it would work. Just cant figure it out