what are you all running in your Power Wagon rear diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I put Amsoil severe gear in my 1500 last fall and it made a big difference in my winter cold start performance.
When I upgrade to a Power Wagon (hopefully next year) I plan on switching over to Amsoil right away...

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Amsoil Severe Gear in my 2500 with a Banks diff cover to help keep it cool while towing heavy.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Valvoline 75w90 Synthetic in my Power Wagon.

Every time this topic comes up there’s a lot of confusion because 1500 have different specs and they get posted in here.

And there’s no additives recommended for helical LSD, which is what we have.

And yes, it’s a combined LSD and electric locker. In the later models anyway.

A bit of performance commentary; I find the LSD function to be so effective I hardly ever need a locker. These differentials are awesome.

OP
OP
retired

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel like guys are posting 1500 info in the power wagon section. Some mis-information getting passed, not deliberately Im sure but some stuff is unique to the wagon guys. It gets pretty muddled sometimes with the info people are passing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
. I intentionally put it in the Power Wagon section for that reason. I could understand if it was posted in the general section..

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does anyone know who makes our helical rear diff? Eaton?

OP
OP
retired

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can see how a question posted in the power wagon section asking about what people are running in their power wagons is somewhat confusing. I can totally see how that happens...just giving you a bad time..:)

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I know the P.W.s come with electric diff locks, does that mean they are all LSD too, or is than an option?

Duluth Diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was curious about the additive. As a former GM guy I watched lots of people dump in “LSD additive” to the Eaton G-80 “gov-lok”. The additive was meant for clutch based lsds, while the gov-lok was mechanical (not great but it was) and the additive can actually be detrimental to its function.

So what’s the verdict here?

A gov-lok or any limited slip or locker that relies on centrifugal force won’t really benefit from a slip lock friction modifier meant for clutches. But it doesn’t hurt to run it if it is already in the diff fluid.