What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I didnt see the second quote

Here it is. The posted quote, quoted for my convenience in this post that will be quoted by you replying to it to determine if this is a fair quote and you general thoughts on the place.

If I can get the same reduction in price that I did here compared to the first place, it'd be just about on the money of what you're saying is fair. Then again, maybe the geographical price really is that big.

After all, just down in Miami, 02ramboi claims he'd have to pay double what I did for mirrors from an LKQ...

Okay. Lot of ******* I did today. Ordered 2 quarts and 2 gallons of 5w30 redline and a plus sized royal purple filter. That should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

Briefly gave the front sus a look over and tried to pull on the sway bar. No budge. Everything else down there looks newer than it should, so I'm 90% sure now that the ball joints and bushings were serviced. If not, I'll find out tomorrow when I rotate, install shackles and spacers, then wash the truck.

When I was underneath, I encountered what might be an oil leak, but could be 'sweat' or some ****. Pics below. Could account for my half quart every 2k or so loss. Also, I have a slow leak in my right front tire. Gonna see if fix a flat will solve it before I take a soon to be replaced tire to a tire shop.

Also went and got a second estimate for body work. Guy gave me a weird vibe. Like when you suspect someone's a felon or something(keeping the word usage vague for guidelines). He also seemed to know it all and tried to impress me with an explanation of how the Germans are 20 years ahead of us and German stuff is 10x better, hence why he uses -reportedly- German body filler.

Pics of his shop, some of his work, the filler he uses, and the print out below. This guy wants $2028 instead of $2650. But I didn't like that spidy sense vibe I got and the price is still nowhere near what you guys are saying is fair.

((Then again, in all seriousness, you guys ARE just randoms on the internet so far. And perhaps the geographical $ gap for body work really is that big here.))

Some of this guys' work. Said he knocked off 2" thick bondo and reformed the panel as best he could before using as little filler as he could to re-acquire the normal shape.

505aedde8438e205e10d4faaea844564.jpg

The body filler in question

c08f890b5806f2935e39c8b4e8d7f911.jpg

The quote print out.

bfba22b08c07b16299641b5fb97896a6.jpg

cf022173b2642aca692e49bdfd560a28.jpg

Chassis shots. What do you guys think? ****'s in good shape or no? Is this an oil leak?

eb0f497977ae2643054f53a3f09d4bc5.jpg

This is the filter Pep Boys must've put on.

0ee765374bdc82a4945bf43263ec200f.jpg

7fa86841bc19fa22c05da65463f4cce0.jpg

9c759eca6f17b4e0dde2056cfea94587.jpg

63c6cc6b1ae58ba7c56e5aa708d3057d.jpg

Pics of the dude's shop. They were in the middle of a remodel, that's why it was more cluttered than usual. Office stuff was in the shop. Storage stuff was in the shop. Etc. Thoughts?

6b3e592a6501b318e7e2df79801b4388.jpg

0261d001c039aa7eed01508edfddd0de.jpg

b4f970cfd54ba060b11d3d7d21b2e691.jpg

Sent from my magic 5-inch

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Front seats are a direct bolt in. The rear I will have to cut about 2" off the back of the mounting bracket and drill new mounting holes in them since these are crew cab rear seats. Otherwise, a direct fit. But of course, I'll have pics for ya!

Nice I want to get front seats like those for mines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I blame chrisp2943 for this. You posted about the seller on Facebook, Seats and Such and I started looking. Well, I didn't end up buying from him because he hasn't been responding for the last week but I found a great deal on ebay and after talking with the seller, just paid for these!

2012-Leather-Seats-X2.jpg

2012-Rear-Leather-Seats-X2.jpg

They are 2012 Limited Edition full leather, full power (driver and passenger), heated and cooled seats. I didn't get the console as I don't want it. It's maybe a little more than I wanted to spend but it will be worth it to me. $2450 shipped. I'm now searching for a matching jump seat with the built in cup holders but that might be difficult to find. I can get a regular cloth one for about $250 and have it redone to match the seats.

So can't wait to install these things! Hopefully I can get all the power and heating to work. Not sure how the cooling is done tho.

This is one mod I need to do but I’m just to cheap to fork out the coin atm

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here it is. The posted quote, quoted for my convenience in this post that will be quoted by you replying to it to determine if this is a fair quote and you general thoughts on the place.

If I can get the same reduction in price that I did here compared to the first place, it'd be just about on the money of what you're saying is fair. Then again, maybe the geographical price really is that big.

After all, just down in Miami, 02ramboi claims he'd have to pay double what I did for mirrors from an LKQ...

I bought a black grill from lkq prob a yr ago an paid $45. Just got this grey one in better shape(and same color as truck) for $29.. tell me how that works

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is one mod I need to do but I’m just to cheap to fork out the coin atm

Swapping the seats to these newer, leather ones is one way that I am forcing myself to keep the truck instead of taking on a new car payment that I probably can't afford. I already have a bike payment so don't need more. Besides, I like the truck and this is an easy (not exactly cheap tho!) way to update it and keep it fresh.

I talked to the seller, already have the tracking number, looks like they will be here Friday. He was telling me that these are probably the nicest seats he has seen come through in the last 5 years. Truck only had 30k miles on it. And this is after the sale so I doubt he is BSing. Hopefully I can resell my stock cloth ones for a decent price. That's going to be local tho and might take some time. Hopefully not.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Swapping the seats to these newer, leather ones is one way that I am forcing myself to keep the truck instead of taking on a new car payment that I probably can't afford. I already have a bike payment so don't need more. Besides, I like the truck and this is an easy (not exactly cheap tho!) way to update it and keep it fresh.

I talked to the seller, already have the tracking number, looks like they will be here Friday. He was telling me that these are probably the nicest seats he has seen come through in the last 5 years. Truck only had 30k miles on it. And this is after the sale so I doubt he is BSing. Hopefully I can resell my stock cloth ones for a decent price. That's going to be local tho and might take some time. Hopefully not.

Yea I’m at the point of where after 8 yrs I’m kinda bored with it. But I just can’t see myself selling it, been a damn good truck besides the trans. But beating the **** out of it doesn’t help

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I bought a black grill from lkq prob a yr ago an paid $45. Just got this grey one in better shape(and same color as truck) for $29.. tell me how that works

Believe me, I'm on the lookout with the LKQ alerts. I want 1-2 paintable 02-05 sport bumpers, paintable 06+ grills, and paintable 02-05 grills.

Hey, how did the pacesetters fit? No modding to fit them like Portin struggled with over his Kooks?

Now if only Demon would show back up... :/

Last edited:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Believe me, I'm on the lookout with the LKQ alerts. I want 1-2 paintable 02-05 sport bumpers, paintable 06+ grills, and paintable 02-05 grills.

Hey, how did the pacesetters fit? No modding to fit them like Portin struggled over with his Kooks?

Now if only Demon would show back up... :/
Tho demon has like 37 rams, he does have a life outside the forums haha.

An the pacesetters fit alright. Wasn’t really a fan of the ory, need to get my **** redone from after header back. Oh an if you do get them you may have to trim a tab on the trans on pass side( looks like where starter would go if on that side) Me an a good friend did the exhaust an a converter the same day so it wasn’t to bad. Also surprised I didn’t have any broken header bolts after reading all the stories people had with them

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They won't be folded up much, haha.

What's your view on my second body quote? Should I repost the info?

My ebay tows were right around $120 I think so 50 bucks is great [emoji108]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6

it looks better, but i still say the recycled fender cost is high, and he is charging over 4 hours at $44 to work on your tailgate, a new one is $89 shipped from ebay, and fenders are very cheap, go get your own fender and tailgate, and install them yourself, then get another quote

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
it looks better, but i still say the recycled fender cost is high, and he is charging over 4 hours at $44 to work on your tailgate, a new one is $89 shipped from ebay, and fenders are very cheap, go get your own fender and tailgate, and install them yourself, then get another quote

But then I have to get a new deezee assist. +$30. But okay on the rest.

{{NVM this. It would still be cheaper.}}

Last edited:

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Tho demon has like 37 rams, he does have a life outside the forums haha.

An the pacesetters fit alright. Wasn’t really a fan of the ory, need to get my **** redone from after header back. Oh an if you do get them you may have to trim a tab on the trans on pass side( looks like where starter would go if on that side) Me an a good friend did the exhaust an a converter the same day so it wasn’t to bad. Also surprised I didn’t have any broken header bolts after reading all the stories people had with them

I actually had two when I did mines but I was lucky I was able to screw them off with my finger lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi

Basically, I should really only be paying these places for paint. And even then, I might benefit from my upcoming compressor buy by doing that, myself, too?

Hmm. Should I just try doing the bodywork on the rear, myself? I won't even be able to afford to get it painted for at least 3-4 months after March, and I only have a payment or 2 left on my compressor.... I kinda wanna try a different color, too... Something a little custom... Geez...

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Basically, I should really only be paying these places for paint. And even then, I might benefit from my upcoming compressor buy by doing that, myself, too?

Hmm. Should I just try doing the bodywork on the rear, myself? I won't even be able to afford to get it painted for at least 3-4 months after March, and I only have a payment or 2 left on my compressor.... I kinda wanna try a different color, too... Something a little custom... Geez...
Body work sucks....

However, it wouldn't hurt to attempt to do it yourself. You'd save a ton of money doing the body work and all the prep yourself.

Painting honestly depends on the outcome you're expecting. Paint takes lots of time and practice to get perfect. If you're wanting show quality paint, take it somewhere.

My personal observation is you need to make a decision about what you want. You say in one sentence that you want to build a different truck and in the next you're talking a complete color change on this one....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Body work sucks....

However, it wouldn't hurt to attempt to do it yourself. You'd save a ton of money doing the body work and all the prep yourself.

Painting honestly depends on the outcome you're expecting. Paint takes lots of time and practice to get perfect. If you're wanting show quality paint, take it somewhere.

My personal observation is you need to make a decision about what you want. You say in one sentence that you want to build a different truck and in the next you're talking a complete color change on this one....

Any talk of me wanting a different truck right now is just the itch and being a youngin wanting to go fast and take mad corners and drifts.

It's not financially feasible trying to get another truck and insure it, and register it, and do fresh maintenance on it, and then catch it up to this one. It also wouldn't be responsible trying to sell/trade mine towards another truck, because then I'd be risking and have to deal with it being a lemon.

My God mother had the right idea with me knowing the truck's history. It's not realistic at this point to replace it or give it a sibling. I WANT multiple vehicles, but we all know how that one song goes, sooo...

I'm keeping this and making it my bulletproof daily until such a time I can get another vehicle or replace it.

So, unless gas prices skyrocket like the recession again.....

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any talk of me wanting a different truck right now is just the itch and being a youngin wanting to go fast and take mad corners and drifts.

It's not financially feasible trying to get another truck and insure it, and register it, and do fresh maintenance on it, and then catch it up to this one. It also wouldn't be responsible trying to sell/trade mine towards another truck, because then I'd be risking and have to deal with it being a lemon.

My God mother had the right idea with me knowing the truck's history. It's not realistic at this point to replace it or give it a sibling. I WANT multiple vehicles, but we all know how that one song goes, sooo...

I'm keeping this and making it my bulletproof daily until such a time I can get another vehicle or replace it.

So, unless gas prices skyrocket like the recession again.....

So then the next step is to lay out your goals with the truck and make a plan. You're on the right foot by getting all of the general maintenance done first.

Hint: It probably doesn't include a color change. [emoji6]

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Body work sucks....

amen to this, bodywork isnt fun, by any means, painting a car takes lots of skill and know how to make it last and make it shiny, if you want to break into doing some paint and body work yourself, then my suggestion is to buy a fender to replace your bent one, and then tackle it yourself, you have a compressor so spraying it from a gun is always the best option but if done right pro results can come from some high end rattle cans, one thing about painting is that how good you are with the gun decides how much finish work you have to do after to get a good shine, i advise you to watch the hell out of some youtube videos on how to paint your own vehicle, they will show you some techniques and how to adjust the gun...

if you can spray the fender and it come out good, then move onto the tailgate, and i pick these panels in this order for 2 reasons, the fender first because it needs it regardless of how the paint job turns out, then going to the tailgate gives you two easily replaceable panels to learn on so if you royally screw up, you can unbolt them and swap on new ones pretty effortlessly, bed sides and door skins are another ball park

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just remember, you can always sand paint off if you mess it up, only thing lost is time and resources

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Just remember, you can always sand paint off if you mess it up, only thing lost is time and resources

a fender and tailgate, luckily, are cheap enough to just replace so you dont have to sand it all off lol